PDA

View Full Version : OT - DVD Writing Software

Craig Allen
04-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I bought a Plextor DVD writer a while back, and haven't really used it for DVD work much because I've been doing backups on an external drive. Now I need to write some data DVDs, but when I try the version of Roxio that came with the drive, it crashes. I've tried updating the software, but haven't had any luck with it, so I've decided to try to find something else. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a good DVD burning package that does data really well?

Tim Miskimon
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I bought a Plextor DVD writer a while back, and haven't really used it for DVD work much because I've been doing backups on an external drive. Now I need to write some data DVDs, but when I try the version of Roxio that came with the drive, it crashes. I've tried updating the software, but haven't had any luck with it, so I've decided to try to find something else. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a good DVD burning package that does data really well?

Craig,
I gave up on Roxio a few months ago because it was refusing to burn DVDs & crashing.
It would burn CDs okay but kept trashing DVDs about 30 seconds into the burn.
At one point I thought it was the DVD burner which was only a few months old so I put another new burner in and it did the same thing.
I then tried uninstalling & reinstalling Roxio but it still screwed up so I trashed the piece of garbage.
I'm using Nero 6.6 now and it works like a charm - no problems.
It also seems to be less invasive than Roxio as well.

Microstudio
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
I use Nero 7 Ultra Edition and it works great with no problems. It can do a lot and its cheap for what you get. I ordered it online and had it installed in minutes.

Check out there site. (http://www.nero.com/enu/index.html)

Brent Bennett
04-01-2007, 07:34 PM
I bought a Plextor DVD writer a while back, and haven't really used it for DVD work much because I've been doing backups on an external drive. Now I need to write some data DVDs, but when I try the version of Roxio that came with the drive, it crashes.

Throw away the Roxio and use the PlexTools. I've burned about 300 discs with it and only made 2 coasters.

TotalSonic
04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
I second the recommendation for Nero - they have excellent support with very frequent updates so almost as soon as a new burner is introduced you can use it with Nero. It includes support for burning all forms of data ROM's for CD-R and DVD-R/+R, plus dual layer, BluRay, CD Audio, Enhanced CD, etc.

To use the latest version you do need to update your Direct X to 9.0c.
Doing this hasn't caused me any problems with SAW or my other audio apps.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Tree Leopard
04-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Craig - if you wanted to try a small no install app for data -

DP CD DVD burner
http://www.paehl.de/english.php [ scroll down ]

Download the *.zip and run from app folder.

It handles most DVD types and has useful options for ISO / Bin etc. Note that only the internal windows can be resized. Test it and see how you go. Otherwise Nero is the go.

Andre

Naturally Digital
04-01-2007, 07:55 PM
I bought a Plextor DVD writer a while back, and haven't really used it for DVD work much because I've been doing backups on an external drive. Now I need to write some data DVDs, but when I try the version of Roxio that came with the drive, it crashes. I've tried updating the software, but haven't had any luck with it, so I've decided to try to find something else. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a good DVD burning package that does data really well?Craig, ... Not sure why the Roxio prog wouldn't work with your drive. You might want to contact Plextor about it.

Meanwhile, here's a great app I've found for burning discs.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Dave Labrecque
04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I've been using the version of Nero that came bundled on my laptop. Works great. (burns from CUE sheets, which is nice) I've been burning all my DVD-ROM archive discs for the last few months with it and it has worked like a champ.

Craig Allen
04-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Throw away the Roxio and use the PlexTools. I've burned about 300 discs with it and only made 2 coasters.
I didn't know PlexTools would burn - I thought it was just the error checking/utility app. I will have to dive into it deeper. Thanks for the heads up.

Craig Allen
04-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be looking into PlexTools and maybe Nero or one of the other apps mentioned if PlexTools doesn't work out.

And David, to answer your question, the main Roxio app loads up, but none of the modules will load. If I select DVD Burning off the menu, a window pops up saying 'loading app', but it just sits there forever. I'm tired of messing with it and I've had this drive for a while, so I'm just looking elsewhere.

Mark Stebbeds
04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
I'll add my recommendation for Nero. It's a no brainer and always works.

Mark

Naturally Digital
04-02-2007, 12:50 PM
And David, to answer your question, the main Roxio app loads up, but none of the modules will load. If I select DVD Burning off the menu, a window pops up saying 'loading app', but it just sits there forever. I'm tired of messing with it and I've had this drive for a while, so I'm just looking elsewhere.Yeah, I'm not sure which of the apps you're using but on my Plextor setup here I generally just use the 'Disc Creator Classic' from the Roxio popup for burning DVDs.

BTW: The app I mentioned is free, and quite a good little prog.