PDA

View Full Version : SAW user tips site now online!

Jay Q
09-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi SAW users,

Some of you may know that I maintain a site called See SAWers: The SAW Users Referral List. Its intent is to allow SAW users to post info about their services and gear in case anyone wants to refer work.

I've (finally) added a user-maintained tips/tricks section to the site. Note the phrase "user-maintained"; this is *not* a recreation of the SAW manual on the web. The idea is for users to post whatever tips/tricks they think are valuable, and other users can rate the tips. The point of this new section of the site is to have a resource where info can be searched for and found quickly (how many times have you needed an answer *right now*?), and the ratings can help users know whether a tip is worth trying. I imagine some users may even make addendums to the tip they're rating.

The nature of a tip/trick is entirely up to the person submitting it. It can be some clever work-around you've thought of or one of the many "hidden" gems in the help file that's worth noting since people seem to ask about it a lot but never seem to find it in the help file. My hope is that this will be a self-maintaining process. If someone posts an inaccurate or obvious tip, it'll likely get low ratings, and people will hopefully learn what is and isn't worth submitting. Note that submitting/rating tips requires registration -- this is strictly for the sake of user accountability (I do nothing with your registration info other than store it).

I'm hoping that folks will check out the site and do a little bug testing for me. Note that you may encounter some weirdness with regard to navigation using the Back button in certain cases. This is because of some architectural decisions I made, but I don't think it amounts to much. Depending on your browsing habits, you may never notice it. I know, however, that the site isn't bullet-proof. There are certain areas where you can get an error page if you go out of your way to mess something up, but what I'm most interested in is whether you encounter any bugs under normal use. Also, feel free to make any suggestions for improvement, however I almost certainly won't make any enhancements (unless they're extremely simple/quick and there's a consensus) in the near future because of new time constraints, but I will do my best to fix bugs ASAP.

I posted a tip and a rating to show what things look like. My hope is that the experienced users with lots of know-how will start posting stuff. Of course, anyone with anything worth submitting is encouraged to do so. I hope everyone finds this useful; the site will only be as useful as users make it.

Please submit your feedback in this thread. If for some reason Bob & Jeanne don't want this forum used for that purpose, you can go to news://mail.cls.at/iqsoft and post under the thread of the same name as this one.

Here's the URL: http://www.hardknee.com/seesawers/tips

Thanks. Hope you enjoy it!
Jay

Angie
09-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Jay,

This is a terrific idea and one I'd been thinking about myself. I hope to check it out today.

Naturally Digital
09-21-2004, 09:56 AM
Jay, this is great! Thanks for supporting the community.
Dave

Bob L
09-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Good going Jay.

We are discussing starting a few different archive forums here in the near future. Then we can condense down threads that offered some useful solutions to some of the questions raised here in the forum.

No telling when that will happen, so thanks for making yours available now.

Bob L

Jay Q
09-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks. I just found/fixed a bug. It was in the "Forgot your user ID or password?" page. When I posted the page from my machine to the web host, I neglected to uncomment the line that sends the email containing the user's ID/password, so if anyone used that feature, no mail would've been sent. It's now working.