PDA

View Full Version : Plug-Ins on disabled tracks

JonathanT
06-24-2007, 03:09 AM
Hello

I always assumed that when I disabled a track in the multitrack, it would take out of the loop any associated fx plugins - useful for reducing MT load or speeding up build mix etc.

However I've just noticed that this doesn't appear to be the case - you have to also mute the plug-in via its bypass button.

Could someone confirm that I've got this right?

I have a project with about seventy CDs to process so saving time on buildmixes is going to make a lot of difference!

Thanks

Jonathan

Bruce Callaway
06-24-2007, 03:31 AM
Yes that is correct, you have to turn off the plugins on each MT channel to disable them.

Bob L
06-24-2007, 07:00 AM
A disabled track does not proces at all in the MT loop... so even though the plugins are still left in place, no data is sent through them because the track itself is removed from the MT loop.

Bob L

JonathanT
06-24-2007, 09:53 AM
My mistake and of course you are right Bob - it was the analysis plugins (Inspector XL, Voxengo Span and Sonoris meter) I had across the output track that were causing the slow buildmix.

I just carried out some buildmix tests on a one minute file:

Two tracks: Track 1 is my original material with five processing plugins. Track 2 is my final mix which I am using for PQing and Buildmix to FX modules via CSG. I only need Track 2 for the final Buildmix.

Buildmix to FX Modules times as follows:
1) Track 1 muted only - 24 seconds
2) Track 1 disabled - 16 secs
3) Track 1 disabled and all its plugins bypassed - still 16 secs
4) Output track plugins disabled - 1.7 secs

So if you want a fast Buildmix - turn off your output track analysis programs.
The Voxengo Span (FFT Spectrum Analyser) was by far the hungriest of the three.

On a CD length of material, a tenfold decrease in buildmix time becomes very significant of course.

Apologies for the incorrect information in my earlier post.

Jonathan