PDA

View Full Version : slip track oddness

Dave Labrecque
07-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm trying to shift everything in the MT up a few seconds. Region entries, automation entries and control track entries. I select all relevant input and output tracks, as well as the control track. I mark the entire data content of the MT, starting with the SoftEdges at the start of the track regions. I choose the slip track (all layers) command, and everything jumps to the cursor properly, except the control track entries, which get weird. The first one (aligned with the start of all tracks' first regions) seems to move correctly, but the others don't. They kind of bunch up in the direction of the slip.

Am I doing this wrong? :confused:

UPDATE: I just noticed that this only happens when using the "all layers" command. The "current layer" command works fine. Which is cool, cuz I only have layer 1 occupado in this session. BUT... FYI.

Dave Labrecque
07-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to "insert time" or space at the beginning of the session, and change the session start time if necessary?

Not sure if this is possible in SS, but it makes sense to me.

Mark

Trying to "take out" time, not "insert time". The way to do it in SAW is to move everything "forward", toward the start of the MT.

Bob L
07-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Using the slip time function and selecting the Ctrl Track is the correct way to do it... if there is a bug when using the all layer option, then that would be something I will have to look into.

Bob L

studio-c
07-09-2007, 12:28 PM
I do it the old fashioned way, which works like a charm. Of course this fancy "Layer" stuff is beyond me :)

-In Select mode, Select the upper-leftmost region (shift the first-starting track to the top if necessary)

-Hit Control-END. All regions down and to the right of this region in the EDL will now be selected (all the regions).

-Drag to the left.

Hopefully you don't have orphan automation cuz I'm not sure what happens. I try to keep all automation over a region.

Cheers,
Scott

Bob L
07-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Scott,

That method gets tricky with orphan automation and Control Track Entries... the slip tracks method is a very simple and powerful way to open up or delete space in a complex project.

Bob L

bit
07-09-2007, 03:25 PM
I've always found the slip functiuon a little buggy. I seldom use it because of that. So a code cleanup in this area would be mostly appreciated Bob. :) I know you did some fixes a while back, but I racall having some difficulties after that too. It's a very handy command in complex sessions. As far as I remember the bug had something to do with wether the regions were vari-speeded and/or soft-edged - I'm not sure. :eek: Sorry I'm so vage..

Bjorn

Dave Labrecque
07-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I do it the old fashioned way, which works like a charm. Of course this fancy "Layer" stuff is beyond me :)

-In Select mode, Select the upper-leftmost region (shift the first-starting track to the top if necessary)

-Hit Control-END. All regions down and to the right of this region in the EDL will now be selected (all the regions).

-Drag to the left.

Hopefully you don't have orphan automation cuz I'm not sure what happens. I try to keep all automation over a region.

Cheers,
Scott

Sadly, 'orphan' stuff like output track automation and control track entries don't play along. Actualy, if you select all tracks concerned, the control track entries will move with ya, but that dang output automation does not.

Brent Bennett
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to "insert time" or space at the beginning of the session, and change the session start time if necessary?

Not sure if this is possible in SS, but it makes sense to me.

Mark

That's what I would do also Dave.

I think your best option would be to use the "Set Zero Locate Point" {Shift + Home} option and put the beginning of the project where you want it. If you're only wanting a few seconds of time, then put your cursor at 3 seconds and use that option. It will be the same as moving the project forward in time.

I always start my projects with plenty of "lead" room at the beginning - for count ins, production after thoughts, etc. Then when I'm happy with the tracks, I'll shift my Start point about .200 of a second in front of my first sound.

UpTilDawn
07-09-2007, 09:10 PM
That's what I would do also Dave.

I think your best option would be to use the "Set Zero Locate Point" {Shift + Home} option and put the beginning of the project where you want it. If you're only wanting a few seconds of time, then put your cursor at 3 seconds and use that option. It will be the same as moving the project forward in time.

I always start my projects with plenty of "lead" room at the beginning - for count ins, production after thoughts, etc. Then when I'm happy with the tracks, I'll shift my Start point about .200 of a second in front of my first sound.

I've not thought about this before, but how does that work out with CSG when making index marks for cue sheet generation?

DanT

Brent Bennett
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Don't know Dan. I've never tried it.

Bob L
07-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Inserting space would best be done using the slip track command... its really very easy to use once you try it and understand the basics.

Simply place your cursor at the spot in the session where you would like to insert space... pres Shift-End to mark from there to the end of the session.

Select all tracks you would like to be involved, place your cursor at a location further down the timeline and use the Slip Track(s) command... done... everything on those tracks moves to the new location leaving blank space in its wake... regions will be split at the start point if it is the middle of region data... very handy function.

As far as buggy??? I have not seen this in my experience... perhaps Dave has stumbleed upon a possible bug when using the all layer option and including the Control Track.

Bob L

Bob L

Bob L
07-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Yes... there is a bug when using the all layers option and including the Control Track... it messes up since it has only one layer, and the command is repeated as it loops thru the layers... I will fix it in the coming update.

Other than that, I see no other problems... by the way... its very easy to use for all tracks by simply pressing the Ctrl key when activating the command... in this manner you do not even have to select tracks.

I can't imagine a more simple and powerful design.

Bob L

MMP
07-10-2007, 03:52 AM
This is interesting...

I recently was wishing for layers on the control track while working on an audio book.

I had the raw takes organized by page number with cues, and needed a second set of cues after editing (which moved the page numbers), but I needed to retain the original reference if we needed to get back into the raw track.

I ended up with raw cue 121 and edited cue 121, but it would have been cleaner to put each version on a cue layer.

I wonder if there could be other uses.

Regards,

MM

Dave Labrecque
07-10-2007, 01:09 PM
I've not thought about this before, but how does that work out with CSG when making index marks for cue sheet generation?

DanT

I don't find it to be a very useful option. CSG is one example why. I don't believe CSG is coded to recognize anything but the far-left side of the MT as the location of the first index. Also, that's where I click to bring the cursor to the start. I really prefer to have everything over there on the left. :)

Dave Labrecque
07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes... there is a bug when using the all layers option and including the Control Track... it messes up since it has only one layer, and the command is repeated as it loops thru the layers... I will fix it in the coming update.

Other than that, I see no other problems... by the way... its very easy to use for all tracks by simply pressing the Ctrl key when activating the command... in this manner you do not even have to select tracks.

I can't imagine a more simple and powerful design.

Bob L

Yes. A very powerful feature. I'd been doing a lot of moving of various kinds of stuff on various kinds of tracks the hard way till fairly recently in my SAW life. :) Lots of selecting and marking and... always worrying about what might not move with everthing else. The slip feature seems to get it all. :cool:

Bob L
07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
The Control Track problem is now fixed for the All Layer Slip Track command... thanks for noting that one Dave.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
The Control Track problem is now fixed for the All Layer Slip Track command... thanks for noting that one Dave.

Bob L

I swear I don't know how I find this stuff. This is my gift. This is my curse. ;)

Thanks for the quick fix! [insert world-class support praise here] :)

Bob L
07-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I'll try to have this update out shortly.

Bob L