PDA

View Full Version : EZ Drummer

Burkeville
07-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Hello,

Has anyone been able to get EZ Drummer to work with SAWStudio?

It crashes the program any time I open it.

Thanks

Bob L
07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Try opening it while the engine is running... live mode or play mode... see if that helps.

Also... many VST plugs do not handle their window parenting correctly for dialog boxes and these dialogs will drop beneath the ONTOP holding window in SAWStudio... looking like a crash when their is a hidden dialog box waiting for an OK... see if you can use the Cancel ONTOP option in the holding window for the plugin.

Bob L

jazzboxmaker
07-25-2007, 06:19 AM
EZ Drummer works great in SAW. You have to load it into the VSTI version of Chainer
http://www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html
Chainer will find the data files wherever you installed EZD

Perry
07-27-2007, 01:42 AM
I just got EZ Drummer myself. Trying it in SAWStudio just now.

I created the .ini file so that SAWStudio directs to the default Steinberg vst folder as described in the Help File.

When I put EZ Drummer into the FX patch it opens fine. I can connect it in Midi Workshop and it will start playing when I start Midi Workshop.. but there are no sounds.

I can see that the samples aren't loading by the memory indicator in EZ Drummer.

It doesn't crash though.

I'm going to order XLUTOP Chainer as suggested and try that next. Anyone got this working without the chainer???

Thanks!

Perry

jazzboxmaker
07-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Perry,
EZ Drummer along with Groove Agent and some other VSTI's are the worst about finding their data files. I wasted more time than I care to think about trying everything to no avail. AFAIK no one has them working directly in SAW and the EZ Drummer people don't want to even talk about it. Pop them in Chainer and have fun

Bob L
07-27-2007, 09:37 AM
And the real mystery is that no where in the VST specs I have read is there any reference whatsoever about file path functions controlled from the host that I have found...

If someone knows a special initialization function the host is supposed to call that references file paths, please let me know... I'd be happy to add it to SS.

What is unique about chainer that allows these plugs to find their data files?

Bob L

Perry
07-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info Vinny. I got the Chainer Key Code today; I'll be trying that out here momentarily.

Bob... I can't quite imagine the seemingly impossible task of dealing with all these different products. My hats off to you for the constant effort to keep it all happening in SAWStudio.. much thanks!!! :)

Perry

Perry
07-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Hmmmm.... got the Chainer... now the drum files load and I've got sound.. that's the good news.

Bad news is now I seem to have lost the ability to send the individual drums out to separate channels. Without the chainer earlier I could do this.. but had no sounds. Am I missing something here?

Any way to get both??? :)

Perry

jazzboxmaker
07-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Jeeze-Sorry Perry. I was so happy getting the ?><P)(&^% program to work at all that I forgot about losing the multi outs.
Maybe now that Bob's home and stuff are coming together he can make a fresh attack on the problem soon.

Perry
07-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Jeeze-Sorry Perry. I was so happy getting the ?><P)(&^% program to work at all that I forgot about losing the multi outs.
Maybe now that Bob's home and stuff are coming together he can make a fresh attack on the problem soon.

Not to worry Vinnie.... at least I've got sounds now. :) I got busy with other things and haven't had time to look into this more. To bad about this but hey... somehow... I will have multi outputs as well.. by golly! ;)

Thanks!

Perry

Dave Labrecque
07-30-2007, 12:05 PM
I will have multi outputs as well.. by golly! ;)

Watch your language, sir. This is a family forum.

Perry
08-01-2007, 01:34 AM
Watch your language, sir. This is a family forum.

:D My apologies!! :rolleyes:

Perry

songwriterdemos
09-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I realize this is an old post, but I've been checking out some of the Youtube samples of EZ Drummer, and it looks pretty amazing. The thing is, I'm not a midi guy at all. What would I need to make this work with Saw? I don't have any keyboards here in my home studio - Would I need to purchase a midi controller to use this program?

Arco
09-13-2007, 06:46 AM
I realize this is an old post, but I've been checking out some of the Youtube samples of EZ Drummer, and it looks pretty amazing. The thing is, I'm not a midi guy at all. What would I need to make this work with Saw? I don't have any keyboards here in my home studio - Would I need to purchase a midi controller to use this program?

no, but it would be a pain..far less intuitive. you could use the KB in SAW MidiWorkshop or key in midi info using your mouse but I would say if you're not a "MIDI guy" that the best way to learn would be to have a MIDI KB in your setup. It will be much clearer.

songwriterdemos
09-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. Would something like this work?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen8-main.html

Arco
09-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I have and use an earlier version of the same. It should work fine. The only issue is the short kb. for me, not a kb player, it's no problem, but if you're a real kb pro than you may like something with more octaves available.

Bill Park
09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't do any MIDI anymore, but when I did I found that it was easier to get more realistic presentations of instruments if the MIDI version was played on an instrument with a similar feel. I started out with a few drum pads but soon went to a Roland Pad80, then a Kat kit. I also have a guitar synth and a number of keyboards... strigns always sounded better to me when triggered from the guitar synth, horns from the keys, and like that.

Bill

songwriterdemos
09-14-2007, 11:47 AM
I don't do any MIDI anymore, but when I did I found that it was easier to get more realistic presentations of instruments if the MIDI version was played on an instrument with a similar feel. I started out with a few drum pads but soon went to a Roland Pad80, then a Kat kit. I also have a guitar synth and a number of keyboards... strigns always sounded better to me when triggered from the guitar synth, horns from the keys, and like that.

Bill

You're probably right Bill - I had thought of that as well. I'd kind of like having access to a keyboard as well though, even it has a short scale like the M-Audio. Besides, I'm not a drummer, so drum pads probably wouldn't help my already feeble skills! :eek: I did notice some affordable drum pads recently at a local music store, so I may try them out and make a comparison.