PDA

View Full Version : Hullo All -- I finally took the SAW plunge

Fletch
07-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey all, just a quick post to say I finally took the plunge and am now, as of today, officially SAWing. Also thanks to all the great help from the forum when I first logged-on last year (even with OT and non-SAW questions).

I still have yet to finish setting-up my studio, but hope to soon. In the meantime, I intend to READ the manual. :) But I'm sure I will still have lots of <sigh> newbie questions.

Anyway -- just wanted to say hey, since this UG and Bob were a big plus in deciding.

Take care -- Fletch

Bob L
07-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Welcome Fletch... glad to have you as part of the family.

Manual is a great start... read all the way through it... don't try to learn everything... simply familiarize yourself with the consepts...

If you haven't already.... watch the demo videos of the band sessions to get a quick start on the very basics of taking a session from start to finish.

Have fun.

Bob L

Perry
07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi Fletch...

Welcome!!! You've been hanging out here so you're not 'really' a newbie.... :)

Enjoy!!!

All the best,

perry

mako
07-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Welcome Fletch - hope you have great fun.

cheers

mako

Fletch
07-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Bob. ...I have been re-watching the videos and going back over old posts since I know a lot of my questions have most likely already been asked and answered.

And thanks, Perry and Mako. Yeah...I'm not exactly a newbie, but haven't been here since last Fall when I first looked at SAW...so basically I know enough to be dangerous.

studio-c
07-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Dangerous is good... :)

Welcome!

Scott

Fletch
07-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Dangerous is good... :)

yeah, so far I've got the WaveForm Scaling hotkeyed to SAW's SMPTE regen mogrifier so when I Fkey SAW fits to screen episode 12 of Mr. Ed.

Bruce Callaway
07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Wilbur.......;)

bcorkery
07-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey Fletcher,

This is a great hang out ... lots to learn with some real characters for entertainment value too.

Have fun.

Rabbit
07-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Howdy Fletch, welcome to the SAW family. :)

soundtrack2life
07-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Welcome! I strongly suggest the DVD tourial that is offered. Even as a long time SAW user I picked up many tips and tricks!
Joe

Fletch
07-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Welcome! I strongly suggest the DVD tourial that is offered. Even as a long time SAW user I picked up many tips and tricks!Joe Thanks everyone for the kind welcomes.

Joe, are you referring to Matt's videos (Microstudio?). If so, I ordered those last Fall. Unfortunately, they wouldn't work on my notebook, ...so I hope to dig those out and hopefully get them to work on my desktop. If there are other DVD's you were referring to, please let me know. When I was checking out SAW last Fall, I watched Bob's Steven Lee/SS demo videos and spent quite a bit of time here reading posts. I really appreciate the friendly, positive, and genuinely helpful support here (from many SAW'ers and Bob) -- and that definitely is a factor I considered when I decided go ahead and try SAW. Since my studio isn't setup, I wasn't really planning on jumping into SAW yet, but when I saw Neal Starret's auction online, I thought it was a reasonable way to get started with SS-Basic and have MWS/Reverb included. I reasoned if I like it, I can always move up to Lite or Full -- and if not, live and learn.

Right now, I'm in the process of trying to consolidate gear and sell the rest (which I hope to ask for advice in another post). I'm really hoping to simplify. I expect I am the only one here who has done this: but I bought too many things when money was a bit more free-flowing and the sales rep suggestions sounded like a new movie trailer voice-over and the necessity of a TASCAM 1884 or dbx DriveRack Studio or Nuendo seemed much more obvious. :o

At anyrate, thanks again for the kind welcomes and the tips.

I guess in the meantime, it is better just to enjoy the journey. - Fletch

trock
07-19-2007, 12:25 PM
oh no, i have you beat on the buy stuff/sell stuff/didn't need that stuff thingy

by the way welcome!

mikebuzz
07-19-2007, 01:10 PM
NO CHIT !!!! LOL , Saw takes a while to get used to in real life ( at least for me !!) I've got it fairly well down now.
If you know the shortcuts/functions that you will need everyday it can be VERY fast to use ! , you do have to watch out tho you can do things you did not expect very fast also !!!! ( like slip a tracks timing ???? AHHH )

Later
Buzz

bcorkery
07-19-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm with Buzzy. Learn the shortcut keys and you'll be doing the work without even thinking about it. When I try to post something here, I have to go to SAW and do the move and watch my hands in order to write the correct post. Is it shift <, or control <? Anyway, it's easy to get right into it and the intensity grows pretty quickly ... fasten your seatbelt! :cool:

Dave Labrecque
07-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm with Buzzy. Learn the shortcut keys and you'll be doing the work without even thinking about it. When I try to post something here, I have to go to SAW and do the move and watch my hands in order to write the correct post. Is it shift <, or control <? Anyway, it's easy to get right into it and the intensity grows pretty quickly ... fasten your seatbelt! :cool:

I think the difficulty describing the key combo lies in the fact that you're actually holding the control key and the key with the "<" on it, but that key's unmodified value is a comma; you typically type the less-than symbol by holding down the shift key. Bob was simply using the visual reference of the "<" symbol for undo, while redo is the one next to it, ">".

If ya know what I mean...

bcorkery
07-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Wait a minute while I go back into the studio! :D