PDA

View Full Version : DSP-FX Virt Pack is simply automated in SAW

Yura
09-23-2004, 06:57 AM
I remember some past days tricks described by Stiven Berson when without MWS, for syncing ext. sequencer and Orion... now things are so simple, and we can do even it seems impossible.

dont remember here one asked about DSP-FX, and I'm returning to try it now (old vers, but pretty good), because need some fine automation.

this is because I always missed some kind of live waw-eq effect that I have in the real EQ knob, twirling it left and right to fest band's bell moving.
I CANNOT do it with any known our EQs - not SAW's eq, not JMS. there is maybe some EQ plugs amongst all heap but they are not automated.
SAW and JMS EQs are not any of suitable for it because they have not "comfort" to horizontal fast movements of band's peak by mouse. I guess Makie could do that but I have not one... In JMS again, you cannot control by left-right draging of mouse, cause the speed of simulated movements is step-fixed.
The DSP-FX-DX pack has an implemented flexible midi control, so if I wanna force it to WAW effect I simply assign the data slider (on my MIDI keyboard) via midi input.

This setup is perfect for any plugs that have MIDI control implemented.

1)load DSP-FX EQ (8 bands with all params) to desired input track where
WAWed wave is placed.
2) in the MWS asign input midi port, say #1 to feed from my phisical control
("WAW' knob or slider).
3)in MWS assign one of out ports to be SF midi Router (or Maple midi)
4)in the DSP-FX plugun choose SF midi Router too to feed it from MWS!
5)in the MWS choose track, say #1 to be recorded from input port #1 (my
external midi controller), and to be outputed via SF Router.
6) now it's ready. to apply WAW (or any automated FX) to wave track with DSP-FX on it, arm midi track#1 for rec, (midi thriugh enabled), switch on "display controller" button (for viewing recorded automation) and push Enter for record.
twitch the h/w slider, and midi data goes right to MWS' track, recording here, simultaneously goes to midi input of DSP-plugin being on SAW' track, twitching its virtual knob with no delay noticed. you hear the result while recording aut data on midi track. After stop, you can play momentally, to hear the result. and then, if needed, edit the data on the midi track!

Your DX plugin is now automated:) automation data is on the midi track instead of input SAW track.

Bob L
09-23-2004, 07:22 PM
That's good Yura... but you can make SAWStudio's eq sweep eq frequencies as fast as you want using the automation view filter.

Set the start frequency on a track in automation mode... then place the cursor where you want the end of the sweep and set the end frequency.

Now simply activate the View Filter, place your cursor directly after the first entry and press the F key (the same key used to write fades). In View Filter mode, the F key will sweep the current filtered automation control. This will write a beautiful smooth sweep from the starting frequency to the end frequency.

Now you can move further down the line and set the frequency back to where you want it and write another sweep.

When done you can mark the automation and use the alt-grab to stretch or shrink the speed of the sweeps to any exact ms setting... much more accurate and controllable than a live attempt at swishing some knob back and forth.

Also, you can use this technique to create precise sweeps to different in between frequencies rather than taking a random shot with a knob.

You can also save these sweeps into the Automation Gallery as a template and keep them to be applied into any project later at any time.

Have fun.

Bob L

Perry
09-23-2004, 08:53 PM
That's good Yura... but you can make SAWStudio's eq sweep eq frequencies as fast as you want using the automation view filter.

Set the start frequency on a track in automation mode... then place the cursor where you want the end of the sweep and set the end frequency.

Now simply activate the View Filter, place your cursor directly after the first entry and press the F key (the same key used to write fades). In View Filter mode, the F key will sweep the current filtered automation control. This will write a beautiful smooth sweep from the starting frequency to the end frequency.

Now you can move further down the line and set the frequency back to where you want it and write another sweep.

When done you can mark the automation and use the alt-grab to stretch or shrink the speed of the sweeps to any exact ms setting... much more accurate and controllable than a live attempt at swishing some knob back and forth.

Also, you can use this technique to create precise sweeps to different in between frequencies rather than taking a random shot with a knob.

You can also save these sweeps into the Automation Gallery as a template and keep them to be applied into any project later at any time.

Have fun.

Bob L

Bob... you're amazing with this stuff!!! :)

Perry

Yura
09-24-2004, 05:55 AM
Bob!
the SAW's automation capabilitys is one of the things that is carryed to perfection (particularly if to see other daws). and I use all of its tricks with very enjoyment, really.
I could spend much strings to explain the true of unconquerable real finger-movement, that is LIVE, when very fast flutter must have place in the target sound!
as in this attachment (just primitive), who can convince me (or my finger) that somebody can reproduce this with even so amazing non real time automation? (of crs I can, but after hours!) :)