PDA

View Full Version : Video corruption?

Dave Labrecque
07-23-2007, 03:08 PM
OK, here's the lastest. On deadline, of course...

Any time I try to bring the video track into view, SAW crashes. I deleted all clips, and SAW still crashes when trying to go to the video track. No video file in the File view anymore, so I'd think I was in the clear.

ARGH.

I tried starting with a blank session and blending in this allegedly video-free EDL, but I get a warning: "Trouble building VideoFile Graph".

Help!

Bob L
07-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Dave...

sounds like there is a corrupt video file link somewhere... how many video regions are there? Lots of video region edits?

When did the corruption start to occur... what was added new to the session that may be the cause?

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Dave...

sounds like there is a corrupt video file link somewhere... how many video regions are there? Lots of video region edits?

When did the corruption start to occur... what was added new to the session that may be the cause?

Bob L

Bob,

One big file. One big video region. I have no idea what could be causing this. I've just been working along...

I have recently done a bunch of vari-pitch and vari-pitch sweeping on regions and moving their boundaries around. I know vari-pitch is often a trouble-maker. But I don't see how this could relate to video corruption.

The weird thing is that as long as I just work in the session without trying to go to the video track, it seems to work fine. I watch the picture chase along merrily. :confused: Maybe I'll just ignore the video track for now... I just don't like the feeling of impending doom.

Bob L
07-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Sounds risky... I would want to clean that up before I continue. :)

Well, with one video file its easy to try loading the track again... you might want to try to see if there is some way to switch video layers without crashing... does a right-click on the video label area allow you access to the popup menu... if so... change to an empty layer and see if its ok... then add the video file to that layer and see if you still have the crash.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
07-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Sounds risky... I would want to clean that up before I continue. :)

Well, with one video file its easy to try loading the track again... you might want to try to see if there is some way to switch video layers without crashing... does a right-click on the video label area allow you access to the popup menu... if so... change to an empty layer and see if its ok... then add the video file to that layer and see if you still have the crash.

Bob L

Couldn't get to the video label area. Any attempt to bring the video track into view would crash SAW. I tried scrolling. I tried arrowing down. I tried the track picker menu. I did delete all clips, then add it again just using the video viewer's commands. The corruption continued, however.

You mention layers. Come to think of it, I think the problem may have started when I had ver. 12 of this film on layer one. Then I added ver. 14 to layer 2. Should work, right?

Oh well. I decided to back track to a prior EDL version I'd spun off along the way. Actually, I had to go back several versions before I found one that was okay. I did track exports of most of the work I'd done of late (including all the vari-speed sweep stuff) from the corrupted EDL, then imported them into the older EDL.

I've been working in it for hours tonight and it's rock-solid. Go figure.

Thanks for your help, Bob. :)

studio-c
07-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Sounds stressful, Dave. I'd recommend Canyon Ranch in Tucson ;)
My wife's there right now, you guys could hang out.

Do monsoons count as "dry heat"?

Cheers,
Scott

bcorkery
07-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I'd recommend Canyon Ranch in Tucson ;)
Did I hear Dave's anguished cry (with Reverberator's large cave HD setting), DEADLINE ... LINE ... LINE ... line!!!!

Dave Labrecque
07-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Sounds stressful, Dave. I'd recommend Canyon Ranch in Tucson ;)
My wife's there right now, you guys could hang out.

Do monsoons count as "dry heat"?

Cheers,
Scott

Something tells me she'd rather do that Canyon Ranch stuff than hang out in the studio with me. What? You didn't think I'd leave my studio did ya? :p

No, the monsoons are definitely not dry, nor are they heat. My computer dumped on me twice today from lightening strikes. Seriously. I think I'm on a surge protector. I should probably check. The UPS died some time ago. I'm assuming it still surge protects, even though I'm coming out of the non-UPS outlet on that thing. Or am I? Maybe I just bypassed the sucker altogether. I should probably check. Nah. That would mean getting up off my fat arse.

Ian Alexander
07-25-2007, 06:35 AM
[snip]
My computer dumped on me twice today from lightening strikes.
[snip]
Wow, that's, um, heavy.:D

Pedro Itriago
07-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Wow, that's, um, heavy.:D

Not to mention how hard it is to find pictures of computers dumping.

Sean McCoy
07-25-2007, 11:02 AM
My computer dumped on me twice today from lightening strikes. Seriously. I think I'm on a surge protector. I should probably check. The UPS died some time ago. I'm assuming it still surge protects, even though I'm coming out of the non-UPS outlet on that thing. Or am I? Maybe I just bypassed the sucker altogether. I should probably check. Nah. That would mean getting up off my fat arse.
Yikes! Scary! I spoke with another local engineer yesterday who had a crash during a backup of his main audio drive to an external FireWire backup. Both drives' FAT tables were corrupted, and he's now looking at thousands to try to recover the files. I'd assume nothing about that UPS, Dave---dead UPS's may be more of a hazard than a help.

Dave Labrecque
07-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Yikes! Scary! I spoke with another local engineer yesterday who had a crash during a backup of his main audio drive to an external FireWire backup. Both drives' FAT tables were corrupted, and he's now looking at thousands to try to recover the files. I'd assume nothing about that UPS, Dave---dead UPS's may be more of a hazard than a help.

Yeah. You're right, of course. I guess I'll get some exercise...