PDA

View Full Version : Accessing automation data in automation view filter

Dave Labrecque
09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Bob,

I've wondered for a long time if you couldn't devise a better way to tell the view filter which parameter to view. The difficulty comes in when I've got several types of automation written to the same sample position, often at the start of a region entry. I don't know how to discriminate between them when trying to tell the view filter what to show.

Maybe some kind of context menu that pops up to show the various automation parameters written at the cursor position, allowing us to pick one, which will then turn on the view filter for that parameter?

AudioAstronomer
09-24-2004, 12:08 PM
I second that, it's a HUGE problem for me.. so much that I tend to go through the trouble of making sure each automation is a few samples from the next one....

Leadfoot
09-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Ditto! I've been meaning to say something about that for a long time too.
The idea behind it is awesome, but I would like something more uhm..defined, I guess is the word :)
Tony

Dave Labrecque
09-24-2004, 01:10 PM
I do that, too. It can get a little messy, but it's a work-around.

bcorkery
09-24-2004, 01:15 PM
When I come across this, I write in the automation I want to adjust before the beginning of the region boundry, snap to that and hit view. After I make the adjustments, I wipe out the random automation mark. It's an extra step but it takes out the guess work.

Should I post this one on tips and tricks? :D

I hope this helps,
Bill

Bob L
09-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Those are good work arounds.

I have am Automation control panel concept designed that will show automation types and allow you to pick from a whole filter list... justy have not had time to get the code worked in with everything else I am handling.

Hang in there... the new automation control panel will be very powerful.

Bob L

Carl G.
09-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Those are good work arounds.

I have am Automation control panel concept designed that will show automation types and allow you to pick from a whole filter list... justy have not had time to get the code worked in with everything else I am handling.

Hang in there... the new automation control panel will be very powerful.

Bob L

That would be a big help for me also....
Wouldn't it be COOL if I could select, say, 4 bands of EQ to add sweep changes in level, simultaneously....
(setting beginning and ending points of each, then with a 'multiple' filter selecting those four bands, simply press the F on the keyboard to cause each of those 4 bands to 'sweep' to the new level)!! That would be a _whole_ lot simpler than trying to fade each band individually as is now required. Yes, I could do automation saves for one click applying of 4 band sweeps... but not all sweep level requirements need the same level changes.

Carl

UpTilDawn
09-24-2004, 03:27 PM
I have an Automation control panel concept designed that will show automation types and allow you to pick from a whole filter list... .

Bob, that will be very cool!... and well worth the wait.

DanT

Jay Q
09-29-2004, 12:48 AM
When I come across this, I write in the automation I want to adjust before the beginning of the region boundry, snap to that and hit view. After I make the adjustments, I wipe out the random automation mark. It's an extra step but it takes out the guess work.

Should I post this one on tips and tricks? :D
Bill, Please do! No one besides me has posted any tips.

Jay

Carl G.
09-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Bill, Please do! No one besides me has posted any tips.

Jay

Wouldn't that be a nice corner for this site:
"Most outstanding (and simple) Tips and Tricks"
...very condensed compilation of user tips and tricks....

(or am I missing where it's at?:)
Carl

Dave Labrecque
09-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Very cool, indeed. You were just gonna surprise us with that one, eh? :)

Jay Q
09-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Wouldn't that be a nice corner for this site:
"Most outstanding (and simple) Tips and Tricks"
...very condensed compilation of user tips and tricks....

(or am I missing where it's at?:)
Carl
Well, I'll make one more plug for See SAWers... maybe interest is just much lower than I expected for the tips/tricks site I put up:
http://www.hardknee.com/seesawers/tips/

If you feel you have something to contribute, please do! In just the last month, I can recall at least 5 really good tips posted on this forum (one of which I copied onto the See SAWers site. The benefit of See SAWers is supposed to be the ease with which you can find the tip you need.

But you're right, Carl, it'd make sense to have that kind of thing in this forum.

tomasino
09-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Yea, sumpin' like the MidiWorkShop Controller display schtuff (which totally rocks). That's all I would need.

Carl G.
10-01-2004, 10:26 AM
But you're right, Carl, it'd make sense to have that kind of thing in this forum.

Bob? Condensed Tips/Tricks section of this Forum - Good idea?
I'd sure vote for it!

Carl

Bob L
10-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Yup... we're working out the details.

Bob L