PDA

View Full Version : Automation

Sanford
08-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Bob,
I notice in the Automation menu the "Fade DN/UP to next Automation Change" is not functioning properly. Instead of the denst lines I get sparched lines maybe five or seven spread out over the marked area. The "Fade UP to next automation Change" works correctly.

Note: Yesterday I downloaded Some Sonnox Oxford Plugins, however when I did a fade at the end of the song recently mixed using the Oxford's things where fine. This morning I wanted to make a change on where the fade began and I got what I explained in the first paragraphed. Please help!!

Regards
Sanford

sebastiandybing
08-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Its because each automation entry has a 0.25 or 0.5 db step and then saw interpolate between the entrys.
This mean if you make a fade from lets say -6 db to 0 dbfs over 20 sec.
saw will write 12 automation entrys, spred out in a logaritmisk fasion.
if you fade from -80db to 0db you will get about 160 entrys.

You can jump between the entrys by hitting ctrl+shift+tab for forward jump
and ctrl+tab for backward jumps.

Sebastian

Dave Labrecque
08-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Its because each automation entry has a 0.25 or 0.5 db step and then saw interpolate between the entrys.

Sebastian

Can you make SAW to .25 dB steps in fades/sweeps? How?

mikebuzz
08-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I think it's default is .25 db Dave ?? at least thats what I've always understood !! fades and pan sweeps should be that same resolution ??

LAter
Buzz

Dave Labrecque
08-03-2007, 05:48 PM
I think it's default is .25 db Dave ?? at least thats what I've always understood !! fades and pan sweeps should be that same resolution ??

LAter
Buzz

All my fades go in .5 dB steps. I thought it was "locked" that way.

Sanford
08-03-2007, 09:13 PM

Sebastian

Sebastian and to those who replied,
Thanks for your input in helping me with my limited however growing understanding of this GREAT APPLICATION

Sanford

Bob L
08-03-2007, 10:19 PM
The reason you might only see a few lines is that you have another automation entry set further down the timeline... the command fades to the next entry... that is how it is designed... so you can fade up or dn between any two entries and SS will fill in the gaps for a smooth change.

The steps are set to .5 db but each step follows the default slope value... so the actual math is automatically done in increments around 1/1000 db per actual math alteration and there can be thousands of level increments between each .5 db step line.

All in all it makes for an extremely smooth audio transition.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
08-03-2007, 11:48 PM
0.25 or 0.5 db what the ....:D :o

Sebastian

Sanford
08-04-2007, 10:50 AM
The reason you might only see a few lines is that you have another automation entry set further down the timeline... the command fades to the next entry... that is how it is designed... so you can fade up or dn between any two entries and SS will fill in the gaps for a smooth change.

The steps are set to .5 db but each step follows the default slope value... so the actual math is automatically done in increments around 1/1000 db per actual math alteration and there can be thousands of level increments between each .5 db step line.

All in all it makes for an extremely smooth audio transition.

Bob L

Bob,
In looking closer I did have another automation, I just had never seen that type of display of the DN/UP being so far apart Thanks!!!

Sanford

studio-c
08-06-2007, 10:54 PM
The steps are set to .5 db but each step follows the default slope value... so the actual math is automatically done in increments around 1/1000 db per actual math alteration Bob L

1/1000 db? Listening to it, i'd swear it was 3/1000 at least. I guess I can live with that.

:)

You rock, Bob.

Warren
08-07-2007, 12:48 PM
1/1000 db? Listening to it, i'd swear it was 3/1000 at least. I guess I can live with that.

:)

You rock, Bob.

Yeh I thought I could hear the difference to :D

Saweet ain't it:p