PDA

View Full Version : Mastering

Gary
09-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Hey All -
I'm a little confused as to where in SS I should plug in the Waves Ultramaximizer to master from 48/24 to 44/16 for final disk output.

G

bertie
09-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey All -
I'm a little confused as to where in SS I should plug in the Waves Ultramaximizer to master from 48/24 to 44/16 for final disk output.

G

Hi, :)

You have to patch it in the output track - Pre/Patch...... :)
but,
why not using Levelizer.....? :confused:

Bertie, (v3.7b)

Bob L
09-26-2004, 02:36 PM
My guess would be to use the Pst patch... not the pre... you want the Maximizer to be the last thing in the chain.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
09-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Id put it post on the output track personally.

TotalSonic
09-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Post fader on the Output track would be the way to go. If you are using Waves IDR for dithering make sure you have it set to Quantize to 16 bit and turn dithering on choosing the Type and noise shaping you want (and make sure you have SAW's native dither set to off). I find it's always good to set output ceiling to -0.1 at max.

If you are using SAW for SRC make sure that you have the SRC Conversion Quality set to the highest level under the Process/Build Mix menu. Personally I still often prefer loopback of DA->AD over any software src - although I definitely want to do some more testing before coming to a final conclusion.

I actually purchased the new Waves L3 Multimaximizer / Ultramaximizer recently as I find its algorithm is very different from the Levelizer and that it certainly has its uses. The L3 is much more transparent than the L1+ in my tests btw. If your focus isn't mastering you might find better uses for the $600 that Waves is asking for it though.

I've gotten excellent results by using the Levelizer lightly followed by light use of L3 and it sound to me more transparent than using either of these with their thresholds set lower.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

tomasino
09-26-2004, 08:08 PM
I used to use the Waves-L1.

Get the LEVELIZER and CREATE MUSIC! (i.e. fuh get about it!)

Gary
09-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks All -

I had it plugged PST on the Output track and "Built" to new soundfile. It rendered to a 48/24 file. Had L1-Maximizer set for 44/16 . . . what did I do?

G

MMP
09-27-2004, 12:49 PM
There are also resolution settings in the build mix dialog box. Set these to match the output you want.

MM