PDA

View Full Version : BFG & Lace anomaly

bcorkery
09-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Today I tried to use BFG into Lace and the end of some of the files were cut short, the last sounds didn’t ring out naturally. I doffed Lace and changed the BFG setting to wave and batched the resulting wave files to MP3’s. That worked fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I had some native compression on the track, no plugs. I had the Levelizer doing its thing on the output track. The funny thing about this is that not all the files were affected. There were 42 files and 2 of the first 5 sounded clipped so I though I’d go the alternate route.

Thanks

Dave Labrecque
09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi Bill,

Yeah, I've tried BFG and LACE and was getting clipped endings. I noticed it as a "pop" or "tick" at the ends of files. Same deal -- I now use BFG to make waves, then use a third party app to make the MP3's. Not a huge deal.

I guess you could try adding a few milliseconds in the MT at the ends before the marked area E point, past the region ending (if you have space there and not another region). A bit of a pain, though. :(

bcorkery
09-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks Dave. Yea, I'd rather have accuracy of the conversion than to try to guess where the end point should be.

Yea, no biggie, just something to watch out for.

TotalSonic
09-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Bill -
Based on recent communications with Jon, I'm quite sure that he doesn't lurk here on this forum with any frequecy at all. If you have a repeatable bug with any of his products really the only way for him to know about these is to send an email to jon@jms-audioware.com

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bcorkery
09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks Steve. I'll do some more detective work and drop him a line.

Mountain Media
09-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Today I tried to use BFG into Lace and the end of some of the files were cut short, the last sounds didn’t ring out naturally.

I've had this happen, pretty often, when converting WAV to MP3, using a couple different converters, including db PowerAMP Converter and AudioActive Production Studio, outside of SS - having nothing to do with LACE or BFG. It's been around for years, so it's not something new, though the LACE/BFG situation may be unique and new. It will be interesting to see what Jon has to say!

As said, intermittently the ends (usually ringout) gets dropped. I think it has something to do the codec processing. It usually happens when using a Lame codec.

The best work-around is, as said, add a second or two of null to the end of the wave file before converting, if possible.

Cary B. Cornett
09-07-2007, 07:00 PM
As said, intermittently the ends (usually ringout) gets dropped. I think it has something to do the codec processing. It usually happens when using a Lame codec.

The best work-around is, as said, add a second or two of null to the end of the wave file before converting, if possible. This idea makes sense to me. There is also another good reason for this trick... if you have put together an album of material, and you would like the timing of pauses between cuts to be about the same in a computer media player or personal mp3 player, you should build the pause into the end of the "prior" cut.