PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Video Editor

musicmanwolf
09-07-2007, 04:51 AM
I never really mess with video, but i need to be able to crop out several sections in a video file. avi or .mpg. What software will easily do this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill Park
09-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Magix Movie Edit
Adobe Premier
Adobe Elements

MMP
09-07-2007, 05:09 AM
SawStudio will work for cuts only editing on AVI files.

Regards,

MM

CurtZHP
09-07-2007, 07:22 AM
I normally use Sony Vegas for video editing. I know they make a couple "consumer" versions that are reasonably priced.

Bob L
09-07-2007, 09:47 AM
If you are doing cuts only, then you can do this all directly on the timeline in SAWStudio Lite or Full with just the video viewer itself... then you can go to town doing audio sound design on the rest of the MT and then render back as a DV avi file.

Bob L

Carl G.
09-07-2007, 05:18 PM
I normally use Sony Vegas for video editing. I know they make a couple "consumer" versions that are reasonably priced.
I bought Vegas 7 earlier this year ... still feel constrained...
It's production paradigm is confusing to me.
I much rather edit in SawStudio! (with Video Viewer)... it's a lot easier.

CurtZHP
09-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I bought Vegas 7 earlier this year ... still feel constrained...
It's production paradigm is confusing to me.
I much rather edit in SawStudio! (with Video Viewer)... it's a lot easier.

I learned on Vegas before I got SAW, so it's easy for me. Even Vegas eats Pro Tools' lunch as far as I'm concerned.

MikeDee
09-07-2007, 10:57 PM
I like to record the video (and do basic editing) in SS.

For more advanced video editing, EditStudio 5 Pro is fantastic, especially for the $149.99 pricetag. (You can get the Home edition for $74.99.) It might not have as many bells & whistles as Vegas, but I have all the tools I need right there, and it runs lean & mean.

www.puremotion.com (http://www.puremotion.com)

Definitely worth a look-see.

sebastiandybing
09-08-2007, 11:34 PM
I am using Canopus Edius, the new version does dvd´s directly from
timeline, very handy.
Sebastian

Bob L
09-09-2007, 12:42 AM
I was considering Edius... how do you like it? Do you have one of their hardware video cards also?

Bob L

CurtZHP
09-09-2007, 07:29 AM
I've got the Canopus ADVC1394 card, which they no longer make. :(

It's an analog to digital video converter with a built in firewire port. The thing's been absolutely bulletproof from day one.

I especially like the feature that maintains analog audio and video sync over long capture durations. Fortunately, all their products have that feature (I think).

Bob L
09-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Good news... I may be taking a much closer look.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I use Edius native with a sony dsr45 for ad/da, but will probably
go for the NX card when we change mb. with pci to pcix slots.

BTW. they have just release a new lite version "edius neo", I don´t
know what the feature/price difference is.

Sebastian

Fat Cat Music
09-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Hello,
I had been using a Matrox 2500 but switched to Canopus and recently got a Canopus advc 110 (bi-directional) to use with Adobe, Vegas, and Edius. By the way the external firewire converter box does away with the VIA chipset compatibility issues with the Canopus PLUS makes the Canopus laptop friendly!
For the PCI solution I just upgraded to the DVX :) http://www.expandore.com/product/Post_Production/Canopus/EDIUSDVX.htm

I had a business partner for many years that swore by anything Grass Valley made or was associated with so when I had origianally gotten the Matrox he just got to chuckle and say I told you so over and over again as I had a plethora of sync problems, transfer problems, driver problems - you notice the common thread here is the word problems.

I switched to Canopus and life became simpler again. I won't go back. Programs like Boris, After Effects, and Multi-cam etc. seem to run more smoothly with Canopus hardware. They have been doing video for a long time and the user interface is pretty user friendly as well.

I might add, Matrox (video cards, capture cards etc.) and SAW are a disaster!
In all the years I have used SAW (Starting with the stereo version in the early 90's in DOS) The ONLY time I have ever had glitches or any problem was on a machine with a Matrox card. Take out the Matrox problem solved.
The only problems I have ever had in SAW have been video/graphics card or driver problems.

My JVC GY-DV500's have been my primary source cameras for a while now:rolleyes: but until they break I have not seen any reason to go to a different set of cameras for the work I do. They interface with the Canopus hardware and software very well. My partner has several SONY pro cam's I have access to for producing shows that need to be of higher screen quality that the JVC's can manage, but the Canopus has been like a rock.

SAWStudio, RME and Canopus DVX co-exist very happily in my system.
For the record SATA internal drives with Canopus solve a world of storage issues in video and audio with firewire or usb for the externals.

Good luck
D Robert Burroughs

Carl G.
09-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I might add, Matrox (video cards, capture cards etc.) and SAW are a disaster!

SAWStudio, RME and Canopus DVX co-exist very happily in my system.
For the record SATA internal drives with Canopus solve a world of storage issues in video and audio with firewire or usb for the externals.

Good luck
D Robert Burroughs

Wow, Robert! I wonder if that has anything to do with my small Copy-paste to all channels deal.... I use a Matrox AV Parhelia.
Other than that... My Matrox 400, 550, 650, and 750 were all fine with Studio. With the 3 monitor Parhelia though I've had a couple small issues (but lots of versatility in many areas).

Good to know about Canopus DVX route (for next machine!). Thanks for the input.

Bob L
09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
I've been using just about every Matrox video card along the way for the last 12 years and they have been my card of choice for most SAWStudio systems... I guess we each have different results depending on the rest of our setup.

Bob L

Fat Cat Music
09-10-2007, 05:58 PM
:confused: OOOPS
Poor communication on my part:confused:
Graphics cards and video cards. I have used Matrox graphics cards with no problems.
It is the Matrox 2000 and 2500 video cards I have had trouble with. I finally gave up on them apparently just before Matrox released new drivers for XP that actually worked (or so I have heard).
I asked a question recently about the Matrox 450 graphics card and got quite positive remarks and have replaced my old single head ATI card with a Matrox 450 double head card that seems to be working just fine.

HOWEVER my problems with the video capture cards seemed to happen to a lot of people I talked to. Very little interactive support from Matrox lead me to get rid of the 2000 and then the 2500 which was supposed to solve the problems with the 2000.

Sorry for the confusion.

Late night communication!!!!
OOOOOOOOOPS
D Robert Burroughs

Bob L
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Ok... that makes sense... I have heard of problems also with their video capture cards.

Bob L

tomasino
10-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I like to record the video (and do basic editing) in SS.
For more advanced video editing, EditStudio 5 Pro is fantastic, especially for the $149.99 pricetag.
www.puremotion.com (http://www.puremotion.com)

Definitely worth a look-see.

Mike, took your advice and bought EditStudio 5 Pro. You're right it works pretty good and it's quick. Also the name - EditStudio ~ SawStudio - close enough!! ;) So after tons of very slow trials of a kabillion different products to produce video..

Here's my work flow..
VideoCleaner - to convert whatever to .AVI
SawStudio - to QUICKLY generate the clips and build the clip library (all .AVI files)
EditStudio - for assembly on the timeline, text, transitions and effects.
SawStudio - for audio production. Ya know this rocks.
VideoCleaner - to convert .AVI to whatever.Generating the clips in SawStudio - compared to everything else - works so zippy fast it's kooky. EditStudio reverses the logic on this action (clips are removed/discarded content, not the target content). LOVE how this works in SawStudio - it makes so much sense! :cool:

Also, EditStudio has "track layers" but it's conceptually different (than SawStudio). A Layer is just another track.

This flow works for me and keeps progress moving along. I don't feel "constrained" at all. It's taken me a while to accept the fact of needing all these different applications to get the job done, but it is what it is..

Dave Labrecque
10-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Mike, took your advice and bought EditStudio 5 Pro. You're right it works pretty good and it's quick. Also the name - EditStudio ~ SawStudio - close enough!! ;) So after tons of very slow trials of a kabillion different products to produce video..

Here's my work flow..
VideoCleaner - to convert whatever to .AVI
SawStudio - to QUICKLY generate the clips and build the clip library (all .AVI files)
EditStudio - for assembly on the timeline, text, transitions and effects.
SawStudio - for audio production. Ya know this rocks.
VideoCleaner - to convert .AVI to whatever.Generating the clips in SawStudio - compared to everything else - works so zippy fast it's kooky. EditStudio reverses the logic on this action (clips are removed/discarded content, not the target content). LOVE how this works in SawStudio - it makes so much sense! :cool:

Also, EditStudio has "track layers" but it's conceptually different (than SawStudio). A Layer is just another track.

This flow works for me and keeps progress moving along. I don't feel "constrained" at all. It's taken me a while to accept the fact of needing all these different applications to get the job done, but it is what it is..

Sounds like you're making AVIs out of AVIs. (w/ SAW) Can SAW do this without recompressing? I know Vegas can.

tomasino
10-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Sounds like you're making AVIs out of AVIs. (w/ SAW)

That's exactly what I'm doing.

Can SAW do this without recompressing? I know Vegas can.

Right now I'm ASSuming the answer is YES - there is no "recompressing".

Cuz the output (quality and file size) sure don't look like they're compressed and I think Bob has said he's not working with streams - the files have a nice well defined beggining and end. (n' he will correct me if I'm wrong...)

Hey Bob, question about the "DV Video Decoder Res = Half / Full" option..
Does this apply to AVI output as well?

Bob L
10-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Only when using the overlay hardware output to an external monitor... full res is better quality at cpu cost. The overlay size has an effect also.

When extracting DV file chunks, there is no recompressing... obviously when converting between formats there is.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
10-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Only when using the overlay hardware output to an external monitor... full res is better quality at cpu cost. The overlay size has an effect also.

When extracting DV file chunks, there is no recompressing... obviously when converting between formats there is.

Bob L

Good to know. Thanks, Bob.

tomasino
11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Some sad news.

EditStudio n' the company that makes it (PureMotion), is no more.. :(

The webby is blank - no info.. - no buh-by. Just blank.
They have wafted off into the ethers..

Actually found a forum where there was a discussion about the demise of the company.

Oh well, it'll still be my editor 'till some other app. pops - that handles HD real well..

MikeDee
11-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Some sad news.

EditStudio n' the company that makes it (PureMotion), is no more.. :(

The webby is blank - no info.. - no buh-by. Just blank.
They have wafted off into the ethers..

Actually found a forum where there was a discussion about the demise of the company.

Oh well, it'll still be my editor 'till some other app. pops - that handles HD real well..

So far, PureMotion's "sister" company, MediaChance, remains alive; however, it appears that sales of EditStudio5 are suspended due to "technical and legal issues."

http://www.mediachance.com
http://www.mediachance.com/video/index.html

Not sure of what will become of product support, as well as add-ons and plug-ins. Guess we'll just have to wait and see....