PDA

View Full Version : is it any function like "GAIN"?

Tomy
09-19-2007, 01:57 PM
i wanna ask, does SAW get any function like "GAIN" in protools??

TotalSonic
09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
i wanna ask, does SAW get any function like "GAIN" in protools??

If you're just asking regarding gain staging there are number of digital gain stages in SAW -
1) at the input channel attenuator (hit the I/A button to get to this)
2) at the built in channel compressor
3) at the input fader
4) on a good number of SAW native, DX & VST plugins
4) at the output fader

You can turn on SAW's "Soft Clipping" function under the "Multitrack" options and push the input track up beyond 0dBFs to get quite a good bit of very acceptable sounding soft clipping if that is what you are looking for.

If you are looking for further digital clipping gain stages the freeware GClip VST plugin offers one such option. http://www.gvst.co.uk/gclip.htm
Any one of the good number of SAW native (such as the RML Labs "Levelizer"), VST & DX digital limiters/clippers will work great in SAW as well.

If you're asking instead for a region (aka "object") based gain changing - then the answer is no - SAW works on either a default track level (set by changing the fader when automation is off), or by creating fader automations (just hit the "A" button and create either fader moves at specific cursor points, or in real time during playback). You can use the "offset" function - just hit the "O" button - to allow fader automations to retain their shapes but be made overall quieter or louder.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

UpTilDawn
09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Saw also has an input "gain" control at the record meter by left clicking on the "input" label of the record meter... up to 20dB of gain there.

DanT

Rail Jon Rogut
09-20-2007, 09:27 AM
The closest equivalent in SAW is to mark the area on the MT using B and E.. then use the Track's Fader to lower or raise the gain... Solo the track and Process->Build Mix to Current Hot Track.

Rail

Bob L
09-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Why not simply use the automation and adjust the fader and leave it live... this way you can alter it over and over again on the fly as you tweak the mix.

Much more power, in my opinion, than object level adjustment... because you can make multiple level changes anywhere within any region boundary without having to split and create new regions just to use the object processing functions.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
09-20-2007, 10:18 AM
The closest equivalent in SAW is to mark the area on the MT using B and E.. then use the Track's Fader to lower or raise the gain... Solo the track and Process->Build Mix to Current Hot Track.

Rail

But be careful to turn off any processing you don't want -- on the channel in question and/or on any output channels in the signal chain.

I'd love an easier way to do this.

BTW, the B and E trick Rail refers to will work with any mixer control tweak. Pretty handy. I often do such gain "calibrations" at the channel strip compressor's output control, leaving the main channel fader in the "sweet spot" -- which is especially important when using my DA7 as a MIDI controller (the dB-to-dB correspondence gets wacky further away from unity).

soundtrack2life
09-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Wasn't there. . . or still a feature to "offset" + or - a tracks volume at mixdown in SAW?
Joe

Bob L
09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
You can offset whole tracks or sections of tracks using the Offset switch... turn it on... raise or lower the fader (or any other control for that matter)... and then turn it off again... all automation entries will offset up or down and keep their relativity to each other.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
09-22-2007, 03:17 PM
You can offset whole tracks or sections of tracks using the Offset switch... turn it on... raise or lower the fader (or any other control for that matter)... and then turn it off again... all automation entries will offset up or down and keep their relativity to each other.

Bob L

Not sure if this was intended by design, or if it's just an ultra-handy accident, but this marked area offset of automation works during playback as well. I find it particularly useful (actually quite essential in much of my mixing) when I want to mix the overall level of a track from a certain point onward on the timeline without lots of trial and error (stopping playback, tweaking the entry, restarting playback) on the automation entry at the start of this area.

Mark the automation entry, start playback after it and tweak the control (via hardware controller if you like) till you get it right, then left-click out of offset mode and your new parameter is set. You don't even have to playback within the marked area for this to work. You only need to be sure the automation you want offset is marked and playback from anywhere you like.

Say you have a guitar solo in the middle of a song, and in the middle of the guitar track for the whole song. The rhythm the gtr is playing up to the solo section is right where you want it. You create a fader move at the start of the solo, then mark it, enter offset mode, then playback from that point onward and tweak the solo level to taste, then exit (left click) offset mode.

Not sure how well known this is. The descriptions I've always read about offset mode have always applied to "offlline" tweaking. Or maybe I just assumed it to be so. I bummed for a long time about the trial and error tweaking of such parts (like the gtr solo example) before deciding I would post a request to create a way to do this "online", i.e., during playback. But I decided to check and see if it might work already the way it's coded. Duh. It worked. Never thought to try it before then for some reason. :)

Bob L
09-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes... by design... you can use the Offset Mode live during playback to tweak while you listen.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
09-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Yes... by design... you can use the Offset Mode live during playback to tweak while you listen.

Bob L

Excellent. I wonder why there seems to be little or no discussion of such use. :confused:

Maybe I've just missed it...