PDA

View Full Version : E mixer no longer on top

andy cross
05-28-2004, 07:45 AM
In SS 3.7 the always on top status of the exploded mixer view (E mixer) was removed, so as to keep it out of the way of other windows, in particular the Midi Workshop. However, I'm finding it easy to keep losing the E mixer when navigating when I would like to keep it in view, and as it's not movable and doesn't always pop up in the same place, it's difficult to find an F-key view which gets round this. I would quite like to have the always on top status switchable. What do other people feel (or is there a work-around I'm missing)?

Andy Cross

AudioAstronomer
05-28-2004, 09:22 AM
You can create your own F-key views you know! :)

Bob L
05-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Using the ontop status functions in Windows has some very nasty quirks when you allow the program to control it after the window is created... I have been looking for a good solution and have not found one yet.

However, my suggestion to all users of SAWStudio is to design F-Keys that do not overlap window views.... it creates a very smooth ride... and the F-Key views make this concept possible.

For Basic and Lite users, try using my default F-Key arrangement for your screen resolution for a moment, and look at the concept of handling the Exploded Mixer view... it is a very simple and powerful way to work and will always keep the E mixer, when visible, latched to the left side of the MT, where nothing will overlap it... this allows you to chase the movemnet in the MT or Full mixer and always have every control at your fingertips...

Don't fight the design... flow with it.

Many also seem to wrestle with patching in plugins... clicking on the Fx zone in the mixer, then clicking the Choices view, then having to put these views away, or having them go behind some other view when they touch another control... be smart in your layout... look at my default keys... there are views that place the FxChoices and both Pre and Pst patch views side by side, uncovered... whenever you need to access plugins, simply F-Key to that view and all plugin choices are immediately visible... patch and move on... also, with a view like that onscreen, changing hottracks causes the Fx views to chase, so its a simple matter to see all plugins on a track in the patch windows as you scroll through the tracks.... and then double-click any one of them to access the plugin controls.

With the Midi WoirkShop... do yourselves a favor and follow the F-Key latching example in the front of the helpfile... use the Alt-Fkeys to bring up the MWS with no overlapped windows... then make adjustments to those suggestions to suit your tastes.

When you need to adjust the mixer, use a regular F-Key and the MWS gets out of the way... when you need to see midi, use the Alt-FKeys and the MWS displays in any one of your desired configurations...

More screen resolution is a huge advantage to enjoying the SAWStudio interface... there are lots of things you want to get to... there is only so much room on the screen... expand that room and get used to the smaller text and start to become excited to how much faster your workflow can be.

Watch my demo videos to see the way I navigate around... there are many good tips to working the interface in those videos... these things start to become absolutely transparent in a short time.

Good Luck,

Bob L

andy cross
05-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. Actually I have a fairly sophisticated set of F-keys already. I've been a SAW user for quite a long time now.

As I mentioned, my problem with the E mixer is that it's not movable and appears in different places depending on which track is clicked on. That being the case, it's hard to create an F-key view whereby the E mixer is not over another window, leading to its disappearing when that window is clicked on. I'm sure I can live with that, though.

Having re-read Bob's post I'll check the suggestion in his third paragraph - that may well do the trick.

Andy Cross

Bob L
05-28-2004, 11:44 PM
The idea of popping it up from the Full Mixer hot zones is designed to poup, make a change and close it immediately.

If you want the latch and chase functions pop it up by double-clicking the MT hot zones on the left side of the MutliTrack view. Modify your F-Keys by sliding the left edge of the MT over to leave room and it will poup and latch to the MT edge, with nothing over top of it... then you can leave it there to chase all tracks you touch in either the MT or Full Mixer.

Bob L

Alex_G
05-28-2004, 11:48 PM
When I'm working in a session and I need to make an adjustment in the multitrack window, I have noticed that I need to select multitrack window first (in any area) and then make an edit, move, or whatever.

Wouldn't be practical to have this window always "active" (multitrack window only), so when I click in any area of that window, the first click can be part of actual edit? I could start editing without first selecting MT window.

Make sense to you?

Alex

Bob L
05-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Wouldn't be practical to have this window always "active" (multitrack window only), so when I click in any area of that window, the first click can be part of actual edit? I could start editing without first selecting MT window.

By doing so you give up a lot of potential power and make things very complex as to keyboard focus.

The first click activation is very useful in that you can switch between the MT and other windows like the SoundFile view and not cause the cursor to grab on the first click... this is an enormous extra interface power. This is also very useful when switching hot tracks... cursor positions can be set and you can switch to different hottracks and line up regions to that exact cursor position, because the cursor was locked on the first click.

There are many details like that designed into the interface for editing power, not because I simply forgot or did'nt know how to create the code. :)

Also, since there are so many views and keystroke combinations within each different window, I attempted to create some level of consistent behavior to tell the program, and Windows, where your focus is.

Again, I say here... forget about counting mouse clicks and keystrokes and get into the power and flow of the design... count the time to your finished perfect productions and I'm sure you will come out way ontop compared to most other interfaces... but then again, that's how I see it. :D

I have heard the comment from so many SAWStudio (and older SAW product) users, that their clients can not believe how fast they have completed sessions for them, etc. that I feel the interface is pretty well tweaked after so many years of evolution.

The biggest issue is for new comers to the SAW environment... much of their time is spent trying to force the interface into the standard ways of working that they are familiar with... keystrokes are counted and compared to do certain operations, and so forth... instead, try settling into the new flow and most likely in a short time you will see why the design has evolved into the way it is.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-29-2004, 10:31 AM
I have heard the comment from so many SAWStudio (and older SAW product) users, that their clients can not believe how fast they have completed sessions for them, etc. that I feel the interface is pretty well tweaked after so many years of evolution.

Bob L

Once again, as noted in another thread about how I was paid extra for finish a project so quickly, and given another gig for it. I had that gig this morning, same jazz club and I used saw as their PA mix as well as recording, and I did many adjustments via wireless with my laptop on stage with the performers during soundcheck! (as I purchased saw lite last night and figured most of these functions out in an hour !)

This has indeed won me more work, and ive already gained a great reputation as "the high-tech guy" in the local jazz club scene. And that's only 2 gigs later, word spreads fast when you can accomplish so much in so little time! I have recently spoken to the sound tech at the St Pete times forum to re-evaluate their sound system, using saw studio.

In case you did know, the tampbay bay lightning are currently playing in the stanly cup finals at the st pete times forum! Will occur over this summer if it does indeed occur, the possible strike will determine that. But goodness, its great to even have myself thought of for the job, and I still havent owned saw for a week.

Bob L
05-30-2004, 01:00 AM
Good job... it just keeps getting better the more you familiarize yourself with the interface.

Welcome aboard. :)

Bob L

andy cross
05-30-2004, 01:48 AM
OK, I've followed Bob's advice and everything's working fine now, so many thanks for your help.

Andy Cross

Bob L
05-30-2004, 08:41 AM
Glad to be of service. :)

Bob L