PDA

View Full Version : OT Chrome Registration

bcorkery
10-22-2007, 12:26 AM
I finally got a laptop, yea!
It's got Vista, boo!

I loaded Firefox and had to download Flash Player. After the installation, I strated getting "Chrome Registration Failure" error messages when starting Firefox. It seems to work fine but the messages are causing me concern.

I googled this and got a bunch of cryptic, partial messages about making sure the extention was in the root and not a subfolder. I'm guessing this is talking about the registry and I don't like going into that neighborhood without a really good road map.

Can someone offer a step by step on fixing this annoyance?

Thanks!

Scott P
10-22-2007, 12:47 AM
And I thought this was about someone buying a Harley. :D

Sorry Bill. No help here. Good luck!

Scott

bcorkery
10-22-2007, 12:36 PM
And I thought this was about someone buying a Harley. :D

Sorry Bill. No help here. Good luck!

ScottCan someone help me kickstart this beast?

:D :D

Bob L
10-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Bill... how about formatting the drive and installing XP.

I bet that will help? :)

Bob L

DamonD
10-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi,

Are you using the default theme or another one that you DL'd?

The "chrome" it speaks of is for the UI part of Firefox.

Also are you using 2.0.0.8? Which is the latest?

DamonD

bcorkery
10-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Bill... how about formatting the drive and installing XP.

I bet that will help? :)

Bob L I think I will. I'm in the process of building a new Studio DAWso the laptop isn't top priority. Right now and will be using the new laptop to connect with a game developer from Belgium for the next couple of days and he’ll be calling via Skype to give some direction. I’ve got the output of the board connected to the mic input of the laptop and the HP out into an aux return on the board so he can hear the talent and comment without being recorded. When everything settles down, I think I’ll take your suggestion.

Any driver “gotcha’s” I need to be aware of on a built-for-Vista machine?

I also have to take my son up to LA for a TV pilot so I'll be sitting around a LOT. I can spend time editing and processing the files on the laptop. It's hard to get used to the keyboard and no mouse! I've got to pick one up 'cause I'm lost without a scroll wheel.

TIA.

Dave Labrecque
10-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Bill,

Maybe some others have worked out some "finger scratching skills", but I HATE working on the laptop without a mouse. And the scrollwheel's only part of that!

Don't hesitate!

bcorkery
10-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi,

Are you using the default theme or another one that you DL'd?

The "chrome" it speaks of is for the UI part of Firefox.

Also are you using 2.0.0.8? Which is the latest?

DamonDDamon,

I downloaded it last night, I'm guessing it's the latest but I left it at work. If I reload Firefox, will it behave?

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. Did I mention I hate Vista?
:mad:

Scott P
10-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Can someone help me kickstart this beast?

I've wanted to kick mine a few times, but never to start it. :D :D

Any driver “gotcha’s” I need to be aware of on a built-for-Vista machine?

TIA.

I don't know about your specific machine, but I bought a Toshiba right when Vista came out, loaded with Vista. My intention was to nuke the drive and install Win2K or XP, maybe even do a dual boot.

When I went to install XP or W2K (I don't remember which) I could not find drivers at all for anything other than Vista for that machine. Not even video drivers. I hope you have better luck than I did.

I ended up returning the machine and managed to find another Toshiba model pre-loaded with XP that I could make a W2K dual boot from. It's working great. In truth I'm surprised by it. I've actually recorded 20 tracks at once with it's slow 4200 (4800?) RPM drive with no issues. Understand, that I do not mix in this machine, it is strictly for remote recording and transfering to my desktop later.

Let us know what you find.

Scott

Bob L
10-23-2007, 07:33 AM
You might definitely want to check the manufacturer website for XP drivers before changing anything... but here is a safe way to try.

Purchase a new hard drive for the laptop... not very expensive... and take the original out and put it aside... then try the XP install on the new drive... wrestle with drivers... if you need to... sometimes, XP will hook the video card well enouigh and the network card and so forth without special drivers... it all depends...

If the install does not work out... simply put the orioginal drive back in and start learning how to tweak all the quirks of Vista.

Bob L

studio-c
10-23-2007, 09:35 PM
It's got Vista, boo!

Is this, like, a Halloween thing? Cuz you really scared me... ;)

Hope you did ok with the fires and all.

Cheers,
Scott

bcorkery
10-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Scott,

So far I'm unaffected by the fires. Others aren't so lucky. I hope all is well with you and your family too.

Bob,

Good tip. I'll pull that off next week when things quiet down around here. I'm haveing some minor issues running SAW on a Pissta laptop but haven't done any of the tweaks yet either.

bcorkery
10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I've wanted to kick mine a few times, but never to start it. :D :D

I know what you mean. I though long and hard about a Toshiba. Ultimately though, I'm going to give the machine to my wife to use at home as the kids hog the desktop. I got a killer deal on a Lenovo (IBM).