PDA

View Full Version : Getting mono returns happening

Grekim
12-18-2007, 02:10 PM
What I'm trying to do is get a bass track and a vocal track sent to device 2 out where L feeds one processor and R feeds another. I've gotten all the way to the point where everything's getting fed to the processors fine, but I want the tracks to return to the SAW mixer through the return channels without being panned hard left or right in the mix. It there a way to do this? Thanks!

(I'd like to get the return signals coming in on device 2 in just to keep things organized)

Ian Alexander
12-18-2007, 03:07 PM
What I'm trying to do is get a bass track and a vocal track sent to device 2 out where L feeds one processor and R feeds another. I've gotten all the way to the point where everything's getting fed to the processors fine, but I want the tracks to return to the SAW mixer through the return channels without being panned hard left or right in the mix. It there a way to do this? Thanks!

(I'd like to get the return signals coming in on device 2 in just to keep things organized)
Try clicking the mono button at the top of the E mixer for the return track. If you left-click on the word MONO, you get choices of mono flavors. Then the pan control on the E mixer for the return should allow you to place the processed signal wherever you like.

To see the top of the E mixer, right click and drag up.

Grekim
12-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Awesome. Thank you. I had no idea there was a menu for the mono button.

Dave Labrecque
12-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Awesome. Thank you. I had no idea there was a menu for the mono button.

If you want to be able to mix between the L and R levels of the return, you could patch in the Brainspawn SP-1 stereo mixer plug-in thingy, which gives you independent level and pan control of each the L and the R channels. And it's automatable in SAW. And it's the slightest bit buggy (automation-wise), but definitely workable.

A forum search or a Steve Berson search will probably show you where to get it. :)

Ian Alexander
12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
No problem. You can also click on the Fdr, Lbl, FX, etc., links on the left edge of the multitrack to move up and down the e mixer. Not all links work on the returns, though. I kinda think I/A should, but there isn't an attenuator, so...:)

Have fun exploring. You'll find left and right clickable things all over the place. Try right clicking a track label in the multitrack, for instance.

Bob L
12-18-2007, 09:19 PM
For a great way to find every zone and switch and control you can click on, try the Context Help option on the Info menu... it's a neat way to lite up every active zone in each of the different views.

Bob L

Grekim
12-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the tips. The effect loops are working perfectly. I have a mix going with a stereo return for drums, a mono bass, and a mono vocal all using outboard effects. There's another dozen tracks using the native plug-ins. When I try to build a mix it says it can't because live inputs are active. So I did a digital out of my main output device to a digital in and recorded the mix to a new track. This was relatively easy to do but maybe there's another way.

Bob L
12-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Any time there are live hardware returns... a buildmix can not be done... the external hardware needs the mix to be played in realtime and re-recorded as a normal physical mixdown.

You give up a lot, in my opinion, when you break out of the virtual realm... but if you feel the need to use the esternal gear, then a live mixdown to another machine or another SAWStudio track is necessary.

Bob L

Grekim
12-19-2007, 06:05 AM
You give up a lot, in my opinion, when you break out of the virtual realm... but if you feel the need to use the esternal gear, then a live mixdown to another machine or another SAWStudio track is necessary.

Bob L

Honestly, I am thrilled with the way the SAW plug-ins sound. My outboard gear I am running to is an Avalon 747 and two Millennia STT-1's. I haven't yet done a shootout to compare the plug-ins to the analog hardware (and you know this is impossible to really do with the subtleties involved). But, I can say that the combination is very nice indeed. I enjoy working with the outboard gear and I already know its strengths and weaknesses. Also, I think a lot of people have a negative feeling about plug-ins and having some hardware in the loop can calm some fears even if there's no significant sonic advantage.

Ian Alexander
12-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Honestly, I am thrilled with the way the SAW plug-ins sound. My outboard gear I am running to is an Avalon 747 and two Millennia STT-1's. I haven't yet done a shootout to compare the plug-ins to the analog hardware (and you know this is impossible to really do with the subtleties involved). But, I can say that the combination is very nice indeed. I enjoy working with the outboard gear and I already know its strengths and weaknesses. Also, I think a lot of people have a negative feeling about plug-ins and having some hardware in the loop can calm some fears even if there's no significant sonic advantage.
If you have someone looking over your shoulder, you definitely have to take their opinions into account, if you want to keep the account.:) To me, one of the big advantages of staying in the box is that I can work from EXACTLY the same mix two months from now, without taking any notes or hoping the cat hasn't changed any knobs for me. But the Avalon and Millennia sure are pretty boxes.:)