PDA

View Full Version : 32Bit to 24bit

republik
12-27-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm running SAWStudio using asio and it indicates "32bit integer LSB Format". Also, most of the VSTi's I use (softsynths) use 32bit processing (and I assume that means producing 32bit audio).

So how do I record the outputs of my VSTi's and such while maintaining the intergrity of the audio. The highest SAWStudio goes to is 24bit. So is this where I need to turn on multitrack dither?

Jay Q
12-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Hi,

You don't want to use MT dither for this. As far as bit-depth vis-a-vis sonic quality, you might find this post (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=73135#post73135) helpful.

Jay

Bob L
12-27-2007, 03:54 AM
Don't do anything... SAWStudio will record the sound with the highest integrity naturally... 32 bit processing refers to internal math handling... not to data bit depth... the highest currently used audio bit depth in the industry is 24 bits.

Bob L

republik
12-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Ahh ok.

I was referring to 32 data bit depth though. In cubase and ableton live, you are given the choice of 16, 24, and 32 data bit depth for the recorded wav files. Regardless, I think sawstudio sounds amazing and I'm happy with 24 as long as I don't need to worry about any bit depth reduction distorting anything.

Bob L
12-27-2007, 05:52 PM
The 32 bit setting is simply the way the data is stored... it does not add any quality or higher resolution to the 24 bit audio format... in fact... some might argue that storing 32 bit float actually degrades the signal each time its retreived and further processed... but that's another conversation. :)

Bob L

Tim Miskimon
12-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Ahh ok.

I was referring to 32 data bit depth though. In cubase and ableton live, you are given the choice of 16, 24, and 32 data bit depth for the recorded wav files. Regardless, I think sawstudio sounds amazing and I'm happy with 24 as long as I don't need to worry about any bit depth reduction distorting anything.

I've had several arguements with a few of my pals that use Nuendo and insists that they are recording 32 bit files.
I keep asking them "where they bought their 32 bit converters?"
That usually ends the conversation when they realise they are actually recording 24 bit files and storing them at 32 bit.
No gain there until they do processing with plugins.
I'm really amazed at the number of people who actually believe the hype without ever using their brains...:eek:

Pedro Itriago
12-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm really amazed at the number of people who actually believe the hype without ever using their brains...:eek:

Who told you people use their brains???

They save it for better ocassions, like drinking beer.

republik
12-27-2007, 11:47 PM
I've definitely always wanted to know what the upside was to having the option of recording 32bit files, because the option is really there with Cubase, and many others.

Maybe its for bouncing/freezing VSTi instruments?? Like softsynths and other things that are never recorded from the outside, so never passing through A/D converstion?

Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me!!! I'm stoked that it's not a problem.

Tim Miskimon
12-28-2007, 05:30 AM
I've definitely always wanted to know what the upside was to having the option of recording 32bit files, because the option is really there with Cubase, and many others.

Maybe its for bouncing/freezing VSTi instruments?? Like softsynths and other things that are never recorded from the outside, so never passing through A/D converstion?

The wave files in all the VSTi instruments I own are all recorded at 24 bits or lower.
No one that I'm aware of makes a 32 bit converter so other than for processing the last 8 bits are useless.
It all eventually is played back at 24 bits or lower so something is chopped off, thrown away, or converted from 32 bit to 24 bit.
During the play back of 32 bit files there has to be some degrading of the signal as it's being processed for playback through the sound card/converter - Seems like a waste of processing to me.
Maybe that's one of the reasons why Saw sounds better to me than Nuendo.

Grekim
12-28-2007, 05:50 AM

The upside in their manual was that it may increase speed of performance so that instead taking the time of converting a 24 bit file to 32 float for use in the DAW, it was already to go as a stored 32 float file. Additionally, if you recorded with DAW processing/fx then you would want to retain that processed track at a higher resolution. Not that 32 float buys you much of anything unless you like playing around with a crazy gain structure.