PDA

View Full Version : Audio take editing

republik
12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Are there any extensive audio editing tools in the soundfile view? Or anywhere else in SAWStudio?

Tools like, marking an area in the soundfile, and reversing it, or applying an effect (VST/DX) destructively?

Dave Labrecque
12-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Are there any extensive audio editing tools in the soundfile view? Or anywhere else in SAWStudio?

Tools like, marking an area in the soundfile, and reversing it, or applying an effect (VST/DX) destructively?

In SAW all that stuff is done in the MultiTrack View (or Sound Forge ;)). The only editing you can do in the SF View is defining the region boundaries for the MT regions (non-destructive) and moving individual samples (waveform re-drawing) by zooming way in to Sample Edit Mode (destructive).

There are some features of the MT that make some of this fairly easy, like the export functions and build-to-track and -track/layer features. Of course, very often there's no need to "freeze" any of this editing manipulation because of SAW's great processor efficiency. :cool: Why go destructive if you can leave it non-destructive? :)

I still find that a more "freeze"-like feature would be very handy, indeed. Combining the processing options of the export features with the destination targeting capabilities of the BuildMix features. :cool:

Bob L
12-27-2007, 05:47 PM
You do all edits and processing live in the MT... simply make one big track and treat it like a SoundFile View... cut, softedge, eq, reverse, automate levels... etc... then when you have everything sounding the way you like, simply build the mix to a new soundfile... in the end... this reaults in a much faster, in my opinion, method of destructive manipulation... without the destruction of the original... and all processes are written in one pass... contrasting to normal destructive editing where each process writes again and again and again. :)

Bob L

republik
12-27-2007, 06:15 PM
That sounds so amazing!!

I'm just getting into SS now, and I'm much happier working in the way you describe. How do I reverse audio in the MT view? I'm having trouble finding all of the "editing" options available to me.

I also have another quick question. Is there a limit to how many VST's I can use? I used the VSTtoINI tool (I have MANY vst's), and it made an INI for all my vsts, but all of them aren't showing up in SS. I took them all out of the folder, and put my most crucial VST ini's back in, and now they are detected properly.

So how come SS selectively leaves some of them out when I have all my vst's in there?

Dave Labrecque
12-27-2007, 06:22 PM
That sounds so amazing!!

I'm just getting into SS now, and I'm much happier working in the way you describe. How do I reverse audio in the MT view? I'm having trouble finding all of the "editing" options available to me.

I also have another quick question. Is there a limit to how many VST's I can use? I used the VSTtoINI tool (I have MANY vst's), and it made an INI for all my vsts, but all of them aren't showing up in SS. I took them all out of the folder, and put my most crucial VST ini's back in, and now they are detected properly.

So how come SS selectively leaves some of them out when I have all my vst's in there?

I'll leave the VST voodoo for someone else... ;)

Alt-right-click (or left-right-click) on any region in the MT, you'll see a menu with all kinds of wonders, one of which is Reverse Audio. It's all explained in the help file.

BTW, I just noticed you can change the length of a blank region from 50% to 200% using this menu. :) Probably not the "proper" thing to do, though, since I imagine it uses resources.

BTW, be careful editing reversed audio regions. It's no fun at all. You're not actually cutting where you think you're cutting. If you want to do any cutting to a reversed region, it's best to build it to a new sound file first.

Bob L
12-28-2007, 01:39 AM
I think there is a 500 VST plugin limit... that should not be a problem in reality... if you have that many... you should probably consider cleaning house... that can seriously clog the pipes with Windows handling all that background kludge... even when they are not being used.

Bob L

mako
12-28-2007, 02:31 AM
>snip<

VST's like Waves and others often put their pointer file or dll's in their proprietry folder - e.g C:\Program Files\Waves\Plug-Ins

You need to add this folder to VST ini Tools window.

It was simpler when Waves and others were DX based.

Don't be suprised if, even after adding all your dll's, SawStudio says "Can't find such and such a file" and cannot load the VST.

It seems Steinberg have done a BushCo job and made sure no-one else can play the game.

Good luck

mako