PDA

View Full Version : More stupid sound card idiocy

DominicPerry
12-29-2007, 12:27 PM
I sold my Digiface (and ADA8000) a while back, thinking I wouldn't be doing any more recording. (As an aside, I got £120 for the Digiface, a loss of about £420).:mad:

Well, as if to prove a point, and ignoring all the advice I seem to have been happy to give to others over the last year or so, I've been out buying sound cards. What a disaster. In the short term, while I was choosing, I got an Mackie Onyx mixer with firewire card. Rubbish, sounded lousy, routing was nuts and the F/W driver, version 1.0.0 written in about 1970, never updated, utter rubbish - sudden loud sine wave for no reason, just what you need through the monitors.

I made a list of all the things I wanted in a new interface, a 1U box (so I could move it around easily) with 8 mic pres and internal DSP for routing and two headphone amps and internal PSU and blah blah. Had loads of things on the list, Presonus, Prism Orpheus, MOTU 8pre, TC Konnekt, and eventually bought a Focusrite Saffire 26i/o. Another pig. Much simpler routing than TotalMix, but it doesn't work, headphones or outputs would disappear, the box rebooted occasionally, the control panel doesn't want to see the box, the headphone amps were weak (when they worked) and the mic pres had all the gain in the last 10% of travel. And the latency was foul just for a bonus.

So, I'm getting RME again. Let this be a lesson to you all. Oh, you already know. Sorry.:o

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
12-29-2007, 06:52 PM
...and the F/W driver, version 1.0.0 written in about 1970...

LOL! :p I'm sorry, Dominic, it really sounds like you've been to hell and back, but your post is quite funny. Keep up the good attitude. ;) :)

Godspeed upon your return to RME-land.

jazzboxmaker
12-30-2007, 03:15 AM
Dominic- sorry for your lousy luck. I came very close to buying the Saffire myself, it does look good

Kimbo
12-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Dominic, Sorry to hear your story. It makes me realize how lucky I was to have the advice of my long time friend and SAW user Richard, and others on the forum who recommend RME. I bought digiface. It's just there and it works.

Richard Rupert
12-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Dominic, Sorry to hear your story. It makes me realize how lucky I was to have the advice of my long time friend and SAW user Richard, and others on the forum who recommend RME. I bought digiface. It's just there and it works.

Hey, Kimbo! Thanks for the appreciative mention. Now that I've begun posting on the forum, I can say right here that I'm glad you're as passionate a SAW proselytizer as I am! With SAW and a nice computer (and I can't forget sound card... since it was the topic of this thread), ain't studio life great?