PDA

View Full Version : Dolby AC3 Encoder

rioguy
12-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi,

I wonder what folks here are using as 5.1 and 2.0 dolby encoders for their mixes.
I'm using the Sonic Foundry plugin but sometimes get weird results such as drops in some parts of the encoded file.

Happy new year to all.

Sean McCoy
12-31-2007, 12:33 AM
I pull my files into Vegas and render them from there. This offers the advantage of being able to lay out the audio and video tracks to spot check sync before doing the render, as well as providing easy import into DVD Architect for authoring.

Mountain Media
12-31-2007, 06:03 AM
I pull my files into Vegas and render them from there. This offers the advantage of being able to lay out the audio and video tracks to spot check sync before doing the render, as well as providing easy import into DVD Architect for authoring.

Yep -- same here - For all audio mixing/editing I stay in SS until ready to render, then xfer to Vegas for checking and rendering - ready for DVD Architect.

tomasino
12-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Yep -- same here - For all audio mixing/editing I stay in SS until ready to render, then xfer to Vegas for checking and rendering - ready for DVD Architect.

ditto.
I've done the AC3 encode with:

Vegas
SoundForge9 - will also import a 6 channel interleaved PCM file.

It's easiest to just roll off all channels from SawStudio as individual mono files (with mixer settings applied of course) and then import them into Vegas or SF9.

You can also go straight to some DVD authoring tools and let them do the encoding.

DVD Architect.
DVDLabPro2 - will also import a 6 channel interleaved PCM file.
Nero -

I bring up the 6 channel interleaved stuff because many of the DVD authoring tools only allow two tracks of audio, but they can be 6 channel interleaved tracks.

5.1 - 6 channel interleaved PCM requires a wav file in the Extensible Header format.
It's how the mapping of individual channels to 5.1 speaker positions gets done correctly on encode.