PDA

View Full Version : Digiface ADAT sync 9 pin

DominicPerry
12-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know how to use the ADAT sync port on the Digiface (Mark S, did you say you use this?). How does it relate to LTC and SMPTE and MTC?

Thanks

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
12-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know how to use the ADAT sync port on the Digiface (Mark S, did you say you use this?). How does it relate to LTC and SMPTE and MTC?

Thanks

Dominic

If I'm not mistaken, the ADAT sync port uses the proprietary ADAT sync protocol for syncing ADAT stuff. I don't know that you can use it in any other way. Others will know better than me, though.

DominicPerry
12-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks. I was going to go with the Fireface800 so that I could fit the timecode option but the video things gone a bit quiet and I've decided I can't trust firewire so I'm going back to cardbus/digiface - I've found that if I slow the processor down and lower the voltage with NHC 2.0 I can keep the cardbus slot a bit cooler, and if I need SMPTE or LTC later I can get the Rosendahl MIF of BIF as a standalone item.

Thanks again.

Dominic

UpTilDawn
12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
I'd say this is a good choice. If you decide to go with a desktop, you can buy the PCI card to interface with the Digiface and have both options. I did this for a while. With the Digiface and some converters in a portable rack, I could take it with me on location and alternate between my desktop and laptop.

Mark

Some stores have package deals now and then of the trio combo... worth considering.

DominicPerry
12-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks Mark, good to know.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
01-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I did a little more searching, and it appears that the ADAT 9 pin is supported by the ASIO 2 protocol, and not proprietary to ADAT digital tape machines.

The ADAT sync will continuously resolve to incoming SMPTE allowing for sample accurate sync. Of course this requires a SMPTE to MTC converter/synchronizer with that supports ADAT 9 pin to do the work.

Mark

Interesting. But I gotta ask: how can smpte allow for sample-accurate sync? It's resolution isn't even close, right? Or does this mean there's a word-clock-type reference happening somewhere, too, in addition to the smpte stream?