PDA

View Full Version : Option for final mixdown

republik
01-02-2008, 10:46 AM
So if I want to make a final mixdown/master of my song (for CD), I just change my multitrack to 44.1K/16bit, and add dithering? Which option for mixing it down should I choose then? To mix to disk.

Also, as far as I've heard/read, changing the multi-track samplerate and bit, will not destructively change the audio takes/files?

DominicPerry
01-02-2008, 11:02 AM
You are right, changing the sample rate and bit depth in the Mutiltrack menu will not change the original files. You have two choices about sample rate conversion (SRC). There is a setting for real-time on-the-fly SRC for playback. And there is a setting for SRC for mixdown - for when you do a buildmix. These settings are in the Multitrack menu and the Process/Buildmix menu respectively. BUT, there is no need to change the samplerate and bit depth and dither in these menus because.....

Choose
Process/Mixdown -> Buildmix to New Soundfile(s)
to make a mix to disk. You will get to choose what sample rate and dither (and file location) in the dialog box that pops up.

Dominic

UpTilDawn
01-02-2008, 03:15 PM
You are right, changing the sample rate and bit depth in the Mutiltrack menu will not change the original files. You have two choices about sample rate conversion (SRC). There is a setting for real-time on-the-fly SRC for playback. And there is a setting for SRC for mixdown - for when you do a buildmix. These settings are in the Multitrack menu and the Process/Buildmix menu respectively. BUT, there is no need to change the samplerate and bit depth and dither in these menus because.....

Choose
Process/Mixdown -> Buildmix to New Soundfile(s)
to make a mix to disk. You will get to choose what sample rate and dither (and file location) in the dialog box that pops up.

Dominic

There are, however, quality settings for sample rate conversion on mixdown in the build mix menu, so you will want to choose what you think is best for your project. Do that before you actually build mix.

DanT

Arco
01-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I just change my multitrack to 44.1K/16bit, and add dithering? Which option for mixing it down should I choose then? To mix to disk.

What are you changing from?