PDA

View Full Version : OT: dual monitor problem

Mark Stebbeds
01-07-2008, 07:00 PM
x

MMP
01-07-2008, 08:06 PM
You should be able to rearrange them on the display properties/settings page. You will see icons representing the two monitors drag them to rearrange the order and you should be good to go.

Regards,

MM

Bruce Callaway
01-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I had a similar situation and found I had to reinstall the video card to fix it. As much as I tried to switch them in windows, it didn't happen. I am happy to admit it could have been caused by operator error. I hope your experience is better.

Cheers

MMP
01-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Exactly, then choose the number two (now leftmost) to be the primary in the checkbox. Works with most video drivers.

Regards,

MM

bcorkery
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
The default of those installs is to load you up with graphics bells and whistles that get in the way.Not to mention all that trial ware. Yuck!!! :mad:

MMP
01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Try extending your desktop, then rearranging the icons. If that doesn't work, its probably a driver thing. I have four monitors on my computer and can rearrange them in any order.

Regards,

MM

Not working here. "use as primary monitor" is greyed out on both. Only on monitor number two is "extend my desktop onto this monitor" available.

My card is an ATI Radeon 7500, but I never installed any of the software junk that came with. I'll see if I can find the manual and learn something.

I usually avoid installing any software that comes with hardware, other than the driver which I usually find on the internet. The default of those installs is to load you up with graphics bells and whistles that get in the way.

Mark

Cary B. Cornett
01-10-2008, 06:44 AM
My card is an ATI Radeon 7500, but I never installed any of the software junk that came with. I'll see if I can find the manual and learn something. I used a Radeon 7500 on my old DAW, and like it well enough to go with a Radeon X300 on my new DAW. I have to use their "Catalyst" software to get the desktop options I want. The version with my old DAW actually worked a bit better than the newer version I now use. It is obvious that these guys don't write the kind of efficient code that Bob has spoiled us with! On my new machine, I have to open Catalyst manually every time I boot (for some reason it won't remember my desktop settings) and it is SLOW to start. Still, once set up it runs with no trouble and has not gotten in the way of SSL as far as processor power. Be prepared to "tinker" with it a bit, though... although the version that came with your 7500 may work better than the later one (or did I already say that?..)

Bob L
01-10-2008, 08:12 AM
The slow to start with the Catalyst is probably due to the setting that scans and detects your monitors each time you open it... check your options in the Catalyst and turn that auto detection off and it will probably open much faster... you can force a monitor detection manually when you need to.

Bob L

Cary B. Cornett
01-11-2008, 06:35 AM
The slow to start with the Catalyst is probably due to the setting that scans and detects your monitors each time you open it...

Nope. I just checked, and I already had that feature disabled (manual detection only). Back to my original assertion, Bob: Those guys are just not in your league as programmers. :eek: