PDA

View Full Version : OT - Studio furniture

DBenkert
01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I am considering getting a new desk/workspace area and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for furniture. I have a 24" Widesceen monitor, Large case computer, Event 20/20 Monitors, Keyboard/Mouse and a few other things little things.

I have a few rackmount items and would like those, most likely, in a separate rack on the side.

Does anyone have any links to companies that make this stuff? I know about Middle Atlantic. Also, my budget would be pretty low, but I would enjoy looking at a bunch of stuff if possible :)

Thanks for any ideas!

Sean McCoy
01-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I can recommend both of these companies. But neither are particularly cheap.

http://www.argosyconsole.com/

http://www.omnirax.com/site/

Perry
01-09-2008, 12:41 AM
You might also consider checking around locally. You might find a good cabinet builder type of person that could custom build you something much cheaper than Argosy or one of the others. I have an Argosy desk and I like it but it wasn't cheap. Shipping is going to be rather expensive too as they are quite heavy.

Many years ago when I was living in the Memphis vicinity I had a friend that worked at a wood working company. They built custom counters and so on for banks and stuff like that. I showed him a photo of something like what I wanted and gave him the measurements of my console and he built me an absolutely beautiful desk in no time using rosewood. It was gorgeous. I wish I had something that nice now!

The point being that for someone that does this sort of thing and has the shop and proper tools, it's just another counter top... no big deal at all. :)

At least worth checking around.

Best of luck,

Perry

soundtrack2life
01-09-2008, 06:13 AM
If you are on a budget and if you are some what handy you may want to consider building something yourself. On my main page there are pic of my studio furniture I made. http://www.tunedinmusicandmedia.com/ I got the oak finished plywood from Home Depot, used a circular saw & straight edge. I did borrow and electric chop saw for the oak half round pieces I used to cover the edges. I finished it with semi gloss black paint. Much more well built then the cheap flake board ones I have seen and at a fraction of the cost.
Joe

Ian Alexander
01-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm about halfway through my furniture upgrade here. Got new Ikea tables for the office computer and the printer/fax/etc. a few years ago. Simple but nicely finished wood on grey metal legs. Added a drawer unit under one table. Made the office manager (my wife) much happier.

The audio computer is in a closet, but could sit on the floor. I moved the monitor speakers from a wall shelf to speaker stands. Best sound upgrade ever for this room. Got them away from the walls a bit and put the tweeters at ear height. Much better imaging and less boomy lows. Last pieces I still need are a simple table and credenza from Ikea. The table has adjustable height (for computer keyboard.) The credenza has a rolldown front that makes all the crap on the shelves disappear every night.

I looked at all kinds of specialty audio furniture without finding anything just right. I finally realized that if I found something that met my current needs, I'd want something different in a few years. Simple and flexible works for me. YMMV.

trock
01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
i have this desk and its great

http://www.omnirax.com/site/show_product.asp?pid=64&cid=4

TotalSonic
01-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Not really cheap - but for "off the shelf" stuff Sterling Modular's furniture is really nice with low profiles that doesn't get in the way of mid field monitoring - http://www.sterlingmodular.com

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Carl G.
01-09-2008, 02:33 PM
If you are on a budget and if you are some what handy you may want to consider building something yourself. On my main page there are pic of my studio furniture I made. http://www.tunedinmusicandmedia.com/ I got the oak finished plywood from Home Depot, used a circular saw & straight edge. I did borrow and electric chop saw for the oak half round pieces I used to cover the edges. I finished it with semi gloss black paint. Much more well built then the cheap flake board ones I have seen and at a fraction of the cost.
Joe
Joe,
That's the same I've done here for my main console, racks, turntables (hidden in counter) etc. I chose an off-white counter top trimmed in Oak with Oak trim on sides. Lots of work - but looks nice... and custom made.
Lesson to learn: I wish I would have done the racks in Oak too. (Over 10 years looking at pine ... not worth the few bucks saved).

Nice thread - encouraging next rebuild for workstation... - I'll probably go custom again - to match other furniture already made. (but first - the other house carpentry repairs!)

Cary B. Cornett
01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Boy, this thread got me thinking about all the different "studio furniture" changes I have been through.

First I remember is an 8-foot counter top on old industrial computer printer stands (built originally for equipment in a bedroom), which now sits in my garage.

Next up was the "big desk" that I decided that I needed for my Mackie 8-buss mixer (back when I though I needed a big mixer, during my SawPro days). I had a couple of short DEEP computer racks (originally used for one of those dinosaur CAD systems), and I put a 36" wide solid core door across them. I put a keyboard drawer underneath, and a "credenza" from an office supply store across the back to hold my 17" CRT above the back edge of the mixer. That setup later became my electronics test bench, which now sits in the lab that we built in the back half of my garage (see a pattern yet? ;) ).

Once I decided to sell of the big mixer and commit to "in the box" mixing (around the time I upgraded to SawStudio), the games REALLY began! I wanted something with a small footprint, so the "corner computer desk" was definitely out. At the same time I decided to put my dual CRT's "down and back" (like reading a book) instead of high in the air. This was when I took up custom furniture building as a "hobby". First I built a special CRT stand (where I learned the hard way that lumberyards do not always cut things properly square!). Then I had an office "computer table" I got used for $10, which was pretty nice looking... until I hacked it up. It put my keyboard and mouse higher than they should be, so I sawed out most of the top and put on a piece of plywood to sling 'em lower. I also notched out the back edge so I could pull my CRT stand closer. Next I needed low slanted racks to keep the equipment from interfering with my monitor sound. This setup was completed with my custom computer "noise containment" cabinet.

I put a LOT of sweat into making all that stuff. I don't use the CRT stand anymore because I switched to a single 19" flat panel display. I don't use my custom slanted racks anymore. Half of the stuff in them is now in two 6U ATA-style portable racks for when I take the rig on the road. The rest is on two table-top 6U racks which also hold my monitor speakers up. At least the hacked-up table and the computer box are still in use...

After all that, I have learned that your studio furniture wants/needs will likeyly change over time, so I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on any of the fancy "factory" stuff. If you can't do it with "stock" furniture, build it yourself. Make it modular so that it is feasible to move, and so that if one part becomes "outdated" you can still use the rest of it. If you are going to go to all that work, really THINK about EXACTLY what you want it to do (and how it will do it). For that much work, you should make yourself something that works BETTER than the expensive manufactured stuff (for a non-carpenter with 10 opposable thumbs, my track record at this is not too bad).

I had a friend who tried the Argosy stuff, HATED it, and sent it back. He got something professionally custom-built for less money that looks a LOT better. Think about what you are doing, take your time, and don't buy the first "pretty face" that comes along! :)

DominicPerry
01-09-2008, 04:22 PM
If you have a bad back or any kind of neck/back problem, you should aim for the middle of your monitors to be at 'ear' height. The 'buried' monitors look cool, they may have serious sonic advantages but a painful neck and back will ruin your mixes. And your life.

Dominic

DennisC
01-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I have been through a few iterations. Here's my advice:

0) If you have plenty of money and plenty of time - hirer a local cabinet maker to build you something out of nice hardwood of your choosing. This option may not be that much more than #1 below anyway.

1) If you have plenty of money and no time - argosy or omniracks

2) If you have plenty of time, some tools, little money - build your own

3) If you have some money and not much time - try this guy

http://www.nice-racks.com/Nice_Racks_Studio_Racks-Slanted_Studio_Racks.html[/url]

I have two of his racks, slightly customized for my low profile preference (no additional cost). Very good build quality. The wood in stained and finished well but it is pine so it not quite up to par of custom hardwood furniture but not that far from it either. Very good price performer.

Dennis

TotalSonic
01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Just thought of another company that does really nicely built stuff (again not that cheaply) that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread -

Taytrix - http://www.taytrix.com/Racks__Studio.html

Best regards,
Steve Berson

RobertV
01-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi;

I made our control desk starting with a solid door and some 2nd hand adjustable legs. purely a (no)finance driven decision!

http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.vde/ShinuControlRoom/photo#5067589297002645298
http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.vde/ShinuControlRoom/photo#5067610746069321682

Trying to keep the height down seems the hardest part, and keeping the top slanted to avoid reflections from the monitor speakers and the resulting angles was the greatest challenge.
Also when designing / building your own, allowing for access to the rear of all the equipment is a trap to be aware of.

(Google)Sketchup to the rescue!

Cheers....RobertV

Cary B. Cornett
01-10-2008, 06:31 AM
If you have a bad back It so happens I do. My wife fusses at me if she sees me picking up anything heavy (she'll grab it from me and do it herself).
... you should aim for the middle of your monitors to be at 'ear' height. The 'buried' monitors look cool, they may have serious sonic advantages but a painful neck and back will ruin your mixes. And your life. Back when I was getting ready to build my CRT stand I did some research. I discovered that, while the "old" standard was as you describe, some ergonomic experts had come around to the "down and back" orientation as better for the user. About that time I began to see more and more setups in public places (including at least one local hospital) move their video displays to that position, often actually putting them below the desk under a glass top.

Years ago, my wife went to some trouble to set up her work space to the "old" standard. When I changed my display position, she decided she wanted to work that way too. Her desk at home is still set up that way, and at work, while she can't put the CRT down as far as she would like, she keeps it tilted back as far as possible. I just checked with her, and she said yes, she finds that "down and back" is more comfortable for long work periods.

Cary B. Cornett
01-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Unless you're an old fart and wear progressive lenses, or bifocals. Then you're tilting your head back to look out of the near field vision part of your eyeglasses.

I had to get a special pair of bifocals with medium distance vision in the main part of the lens and reading in the bifocal part because my monitors are eye/ear height. My wife once knew a lady who had special "upside down" bifocals made because of the "elevated display" problem.
If they were at desk level and tilted back, that would be ideal to focus....for me. But that is sort of physically impossible unless I build some special furniture. I found that to be true when I used CRT's, but a flat screen is easier to set up. Mine actually now sits on top of two stacked plastic storage bins, a little higher than I wanted but a cheap, quick, easy solution that works well enough that I just haven't bothered to build the "lowered flat shelf" that I originally planned.

TotalSonic
01-10-2008, 08:35 AM
I've found the best piece of studio furniture for dealing with keeping the back happy is by far having a great chair that is comfortable to be in for long periods. I finally gave in and got a Herman Miller Aeron last year - it was definitely not cheap! - but well worth it in the scope of possible future expenses saved on chiropracty bill.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

DBenkert
01-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Well, if noone's going to give any advice....

Not! Wow, thanks so much for the GREAT feedback! Lot of options, lot of options...

This was more to get an idea of what is out there, but I like many of these options. I am totally unhandy so DIY is out, but I have connections in that area so that might work.

Thanks so much for the recommendations and all the other topics that have come up for things to think about.

Now, out to get some bi-focals...

DominicPerry
01-10-2008, 09:27 AM
OK, I'll alter my suggestion.

"Be aware of the ergonomics of your monitor height and angle choice, with attention to the head-neck relationship and consequent spinal position".

Especially if you are a blind old fart.:D

Dominic

trock
01-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey Mark

yeah its weird they don't list prices, but here is a dealer

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=6427&Category=Recording_Accessories

i actually got mine on ebay for 700.

Cary B. Cornett
01-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I am totally unhandy so DIY is out,... No one was more surprised than I was the first time I actually managed to make a square box that was actually SQUARE!! :eek: If you are not so unhandy as to be a danger to yourself and others with power tools, don't count yourself out until you have really tried. For me the answer was extreme care and tons of patience, not to mention carefully thinking out how to accomplish each step of the process. I have to admit, though, figuring out for myself how to do things with a table saw was fun. :cool: I would not hire myself out as a furniture builder, but what I built does work, if it is a little rough in appearance... :)

Bill Park
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
the big problems are resonance and reflective surfaces. cheap kmart/ikea-type furniture resonates.

I reviewed the raxxess big apple desk some years ago... for little money, it is a good deal. you can build your own, but unless you are already set up for it, it will cost you more in the long run, or it will look like crap.

the areon chair is a winner. ebay usually has them for less than half price. I got two for about $1100. used office furniture stores often have deals on solid pices like Steelcase... I bought three $720 Steelcase chairs for $50 each.

Bill

trock
01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
yep

heavy duty canisters/wheels, its a very heavy desk but rolls remarkably easily. even on carpet its easy to roll back and forth, and this is loaded with rack mount stuff, a G5, a PC, books etc all in and on it

oh and a lava lamp to :)

Ian Alexander
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
the big problems are resonance and reflective surfaces. cheap kmart/ikea-type furniture resonates.

I reviewed the raxxess big apple desk some years ago... for little money, it is a good deal. you can build your own, but unless you are already set up for it, it will cost you more in the long run, or it will look like crap.

the areon chair is a winner. ebay usually has them for less than half price. I got two for about $1100. used office furniture stores often have deals on solid pices like Steelcase... I bought three $720 Steelcase chairs for $50 each.

Bill
Hm, when I whack the Ikea table on the other side of the room, I get a dull thud. Lucked out I guess. And the table I'm looking at for my side is just big enough for the LCD panels, the keyboard and the mouse, so reflections should be much less than my current table. In comparison, the Big Apple desk looks, well, big. And has a nice flat surface right under the speakers. [shrug]

I have to agree that the Aeron chair was a good idea. Tough to get over the price, but really nice for those long days of editing hundreds of files. Glad you found 'em on eBay. When I was looking, I didn't see any that looked both decent and legit. Ended up dropping 800 on a new chair.

Perry
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
some ergonomic experts had come around to the "down and back" orientation as better for the user. ....... often actually putting them below the desk under a glass top.

Not so long ago I had a large CRT mounted 'in' my desk under tinted glass. I LOVED it! That was when I had my original Argosy desk configuration for the Mackie d8b digital console (sometimes I still miss that beast but that's a separate issue).

After I sold my d8b I reconfigured the Argosy desk to what it is now and the 'monitor under glass' had to go. But, I still have my 'second' monitor (now an LCD which also serves as internet monitor on a KVM switch) mounted 'in' the desk. I'm not looking down at it as much as I did with the CRT, which was darn near horizontal, but it's definitely low, and I feel more comfortable looking at it than at my 23 inch Apple that's on top of the desk. I've been thinking of changing the mount on that one so that I can lower it down a bit more, directly onto the console/desk top as far as possible.

For me.. low is a go! (cue 'Low Rider' music) :)
Perry

Naturally Digital
01-10-2008, 05:06 PM
For me.. low is a go! (cue 'Low Rider' music) :)
PerryFor me too. Right now it's a 24" Dell that I modified the stand on so I can have it low, below 40deg on the desk, almost in a "book-stand" position. I'm considering modifying the desk so I can drop it another couple 'o inches. Gotta say, it's the most comfortable working arrangement I've ever had (and I've tried a few... some of you know what I'm talking about ;) ).

Perry
01-11-2008, 07:55 AM
For me too. Right now it's a 24" Dell that I modified the stand on so I can have it low, below 40deg on the desk, almost in a "book-stand" position. I'm considering modifying the desk so I can drop it another couple 'o inches. Gotta say, it's the most comfortable working arrangement I've ever had (and I've tried a few... some of you know what I'm talking about ;) ).

Funny thing is that right after I wrote: For me.. low is a go! (cue 'Low Rider' music) .. I went out to get a new PSU for my computer and as I drove off darn if 'Low Rider" wasn't just starting up on the radio.. cool! And off I went... Low Ri.. der... ! :)