PDA

View Full Version : OT: I Feel So Alien

Perry
01-11-2008, 08:20 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xymtnpxh9cs

The producer of Danielle's video for "I Feel So Alien" from the "Alien Suite" CD has posted it on You Tube if anyone wants to see it... again or for the first time.

I haven't seen it in a long time.. I forgot how much fun it was. It was a 3 day shoot if I recall correctly, with three locations. The music was finished on SAW Pro just before (or as) SAWStudio came out, again if I recall correctly. I think I moved some stuff over to SAWStudio but I don't remember which now.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

Perry

Ian Alexander
01-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Hey Perry,

Some time ago, I bought a couple of Danielle's CDs from cdbaby. Great stuff and very well recorded. I listened all the way through each a few times in the house. Now I keep them in the car changer, so I have something good to listen to when the local public radio station is doing a begathon. Probably due to SS Radio, Danielle's music has sounded familiar for a long time.

The video has some fun moments, but that moon really does appear to be made of cheese.:D

Perry
01-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey Perry,

Some time ago, I bought a couple of Danielle's CDs from cdbaby. Great stuff and very well recorded. I listened all the way through each a few times in the house. Now I keep them in the car changer, so I have something good to listen to when the local public radio station is doing a begathon. Probably due to SS Radio, Danielle's music has sounded familiar for a long time.

The video has some fun moments, but that moon really does appear to be made of cheese.:D

Thanks Ian. Glad you enjoy the music. That moon was something to see. There was cheese around I think but we ate that... so that's actual makeup 'goop' for the moon.... and it took quite a while to create it. The people were standing there with this huge 'thing' surrounding their heads. Then it was shot in front of a 'green screen', as were some of the other 'space' shots.. like the 2 people waving in the spaceship in the last shot.

I hung around for all the shoots. It was a lot of fun seeing how it was all done. Some really fun stuff was the bits that you see on the 'TV'. That whole sequence could have been a whole video in itself.

I'll pass on your comments to Danielle. She'll enjoy them I'm sure. :)

Thanks again Ian... all the best,

Perry

Cary B. Cornett
01-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Some really fun stuff was the bits that you see on the 'TV'. That whole sequence could have been a whole video in itself. Wait a minute... you mean that WASN'T footage lifted from some old cheesy sci-fi flick??? :eek: I mean, it wouldn't be the first time someone had used stuff from old films in a music video, right? Wow... talk about creating in layers... I'm impressed! :cool:

Naturally Digital
01-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey Perry! Thanks for posting the link. It was great to put a visual to the music. Nice props in that video too! As always... Very creative.

Cheers,
Dave

studio-c
01-11-2008, 11:36 PM
A nice piece of work. Thanks for that!

Cheers,
Scott

Perry
01-12-2008, 03:05 AM
Wait a minute... you mean that WASN'T footage lifted from some old cheesy sci-fi flick??? :eek: I mean, it wouldn't be the first time someone had used stuff from old films in a music video, right? Wow... talk about creating in layers... I'm impressed! :cool:

No 'lifted footage'.... it was all shot for the video.. and that's Danielle as the 'damsel in distress'. The 'alien guys' were a gas.. it was great fun. The producer and the director both are award winning, fairly heavy players in the scene here... the director has made award winning feature films. Both very creative guys. I don't remember now how it was that we hooked up with them but it was quite an experience. It was 3 long days... the 'planitarium' shots on the roof were shot in the rain and it was quite cold... and of course everyone and everything was wet! I have a much greater appreciation now for people that go on location for long periods of time to make movies or videos.

Thanks for your comments guys! There's also the 'French' video from the French CD too.. done by the same guys. I'm not sure if that's posted anywhere or not. I'll check on that.

Thanks again! :)

Perry

studio-c
01-12-2008, 11:36 AM
No 'lifted footage'.... it was all shot for the video.. Perry

Ok, now I'm REALLY impressed :)
When I saw the sci-fi scenes, I just assumed they were archive stuff, and paid little attention to them as I watched the main action, and still loved the video. But the fact that you guys actually SHOT the scenes and got that great look, I have to watch the video again. Really fine work!!!

Cheers,
Scott

Dave Labrecque
01-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Perry! Just getting to this thread. My favorite song of Danielle's has a video? :cool: How cool is that?

Loved it. I hadn't heard the song in a while, so it really came back. I was in the groove, man. Love it, love it, love it.

And the B/W "movie" stuff... I, too, figured it was some old public domain stuff, then, near the end, I thought I recognized our 50's damsel. :)

Hey, those back up players really do sound a lot like the front gal. :p

No cameo for you, Perry?

Really cool to see (and hear). Thanks for sharing.

Perry
01-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Ok, now I'm REALLY impressed :)
When I saw the sci-fi scenes, I just assumed they were archive stuff, and paid little attention to them as I watched the main action, and still loved the video. But the fact that you guys actually SHOT the scenes and got that great look, I have to watch the video again. Really fine work!!!

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks Scott. Yeah, when I watched it again myself after so long I had a fresh point of view but still the memories of what was done. I was seeing things that I didn't remember from before. The rooftop scenes as I said were shot in the rain... but remembering it more now.. it was VERY cold! Just off camera there was a fairly large crew shivering and trying to stay warm and a LOT of umbrellas. It was raining harder than it appears in the video.. the rain doesn't show up so much in the dark for the most part.. but it was wet, wet, wet! There were people to run up and dry off Danielle and the guitar player between takes and touch up hair and makeup. But everyone was always very 'up' and very supportive and professional. I admired that and still do.

I had been on set for TV shoots before, even was on camera for a crime drama once shot here in Vancouver, and recorded music for the actors that went into films where they sing on camera... but I had never experienced this sort of location shooting. It's like when you watch the 'extras' on some DVD and find that the scene where they are all wearing coats or heavy gear was shot in 110 degree weather... or they were wearing swimsuits and it was freezing cold. You just don't know by watching it.

One thing I realized is that it's really a lot like making records.. just with pictures instead of sound. And, like I've told people a lot of times while making records, what you do to get it made won't matter in the end... only the final outcome will matter and most people won't know, or care, what it was that you had to do to get there. It's all about the 'illusion'. :)

The guys who made it happen, the producer and director, were very skilled dudes. It was a pleasure to work with them. These guys were always 'On' and I learned a lot from watching them work. They even argued sometimes over how to shoot various scenes.. they were that passionate about it... but it was always a 'professional' argument (and as I recall I think the producer usually won.. because he was the producer I guess). I hope to be able to do it again sometime with guys as good as they were.

The next video after that one, 'Dites Moi' ... the French one... was shot with the same guys as well but was shot at one location and mostly indoors (at an incredible cool filming location)... but also very creative work.

We're trying to make it happen to get that one posted up as well but currently it isn't available. I have a .mov version that I can send to anyone that's interested it but it's rather large... just over 500 MBs.

As a side note... I didn't make it last year but there is the possibility again that I'll be coming to the San Diego area... maybe in Feb. Danielle will be there for sure. just not sure yet if I'll make it. But I hope to and if so I want to drop in on some of you San Diego SAWers! :)

Perry

Tree Leopard
01-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Is that Danielle Hebert? Some time ago a friend in Quebec introduced her music to me - very strong material, great voice. Congrats, Perry! :cool:

Andre

studio-c
01-13-2008, 09:12 AM
As a side note... I didn't make it last year but there is the possibility again that I'll be coming to the San Diego area... maybe in Feb. Danielle will be there for sure. just not sure yet if I'll make it. But I hope to and if so I want to drop in on some of you San Diego SAWers! :)

Perry

Definitely keep us apprised of your plans. It would be great to get together!!

Cheers,
Scott

Dave Labrecque
01-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Definitely keep us apprised of your plans. It would be great to get together!!

Cheers,
Scott

Hey, gents, if you don't mind -- keep me in the loop. I'll be in L.A. the weekend of the 9th/10th and probably unable to come down, but maybe another time that month... ?

studio-c
01-13-2008, 06:26 PM
I'll be in L.A. the weekend of the 9th/10th and probably unable to come down

Hey Dave,
I'll be in Pasadena doing a two Bosendorfer piano session that weekend at Firehouse Studios (firehouserecordingstudios.com), in the daytime. And of course running around with the kids at night in Pasadena and Hollywood. I'll also be in Burbank working on some stuff (new media, not audio) with the new crew.

My son goes to this bar in Little Tokyo where he describes the bartender as "the Willy Wonka of alcohol" LOL...

If our schedules match, I'll buy the first round. And of course you're welcome to swing by the studio as well. It's pretty sweet.

Cheers,
Scott

Dave Labrecque
01-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Hey Dave,
I'll be in Pasadena doing a two Bosendorfer piano session that weekend at Firehouse Studios (firehouserecordingstudios.com), in the daytime. And of course running around with the kids at night in Pasadena and Hollywood. I'll also be in Burbank working on some stuff (new media, not audio) with the new crew.

My son goes to this bar in Little Tokyo where he describes the bartender as "the Willy Wonka of alcohol" LOL...

If our schedules match, I'll buy the first round. And of course you're welcome to swing by the studio as well. It's pretty sweet.

Cheers,
Scott

I'm afraid I'll be pretty holed-up for the duration of the weekend. I'd love to get drunk with Willy. Does he do that in addition to the acid, though? I wouldn't advise it.

FYI, I have a sister in S.D., so I'm often game for heading out there, anyway.