PDA

View Full Version : Another Q re automation

canipus
05-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Further to the great answers I got yesterday I ran into an interesting scenario this afternoon playing further with the on-line automation.
Can't remember if it was by accident or on purpose but I moved (and automated), the fader on my master o/p 1 track. (using a simple stereo test WAV file on my i/p 1 track).
I suddenly realized there was no wav form on the master out track and consequently the automation marks don't show. It occured to me if I had several types of automation on the master out track how do I see the automation so I can go in and edit if necessary. On the i/p tracks the automation marks all show in a different color so its easy. In the end I just selected the Automation -> Clear all entries on tracks, to del what I had done but supposing I had run two levels of automation on this track? How would I pick which automation level to delete without deleting both?
Anybody? :confused:

regards
canipus

ghowardjr
05-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Don't know what you were seeing but the automation most definitely DOES show up on the output tracks. Make sure you're in automation mode if you're trying to view automation. It has nothing to do with whether there's any waveform on the output track.

Gary

MMP
05-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Use Cntrl Tab to snap to the automation type you want to edit. Hit the "V" key to turn on the automation "V"iew filter.

Now, only the type of automation data that you were snapped to when hitting the "V" key will be shown in automation mode, and you can edit this data without affecting any other kind of data.

Toggle the automation button off & on again to return to full automation viewing/editing.

MM

canipus
05-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Gary

Yup you're right of course. Just loaded a test file in i/p track 1, turned on AUT and jiggled the fader on the o/p track 1 and all the automation data is there just as you said. That is totally weird. I know I had a similar test file loaded earlier this afternoon and the red fade knob was definitely moving (due to the auto data I had written) while I was playing back track 1 BUT there definitely wasn't any auto data showing in o/p 1 on the MT. God know what I did ( I had jumped views around a bit with the F keys - maybe my video card is on the blink and just isn't refreshing all the screen elements). At least its working now. Thanks.

canipus
05-28-2004, 06:01 PM
MM

Tx much for the CTRL TAB tip to move through the automation marks

regards etc.