PDA

View Full Version : Strange Click

tomtomclub
02-05-2008, 05:59 AM
I'm using SS in show control mode and when the warning window pops up that the next song is pre-loaded I here an audible click through the PA, as soon as the window pops up. Any ideas?

Arco
02-05-2008, 06:43 AM
a Windows generated "window-opening" sound? if so, change windows sound scheme to "none"

tomtomclub
02-05-2008, 07:09 AM
It's not a Windows generated sound, more of a click type sound that you would want to remove in a .wav file you might be editing.

HapHazzard
02-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Howdy,

A Few questions
PC setup - Memory size? - sound card? FW? or ethersound?
SAW setup - what is SS cuing at that time - midi? - wav? - both? -Automation?
Plug-ins - A Lot? Old? New?Almost sounds like sometime was told to turn on at that time.

Hap

Bob L
02-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Definitely make sure the Windows sounds are set to none in the Windows control panel...

Are you using an internal windows soundcard... sometimes these pick up on onternal ground noises as things happen within the machine.... does the same click happen when you use F-Keys to change views?

Bob L

AcousticGlue
02-05-2008, 11:17 AM
If I switch between one audio app and another using ASIO, I get pop in monitors as well.

Bob L
02-05-2008, 01:14 PM
That's probably because in general ASIO is not multi-client and only one app can have the driver at one time... so... it probably shuts down the driver and re-opens it when switching apps... which may be what causes the audio pop.

Bob L

lofi studios
02-05-2008, 01:36 PM
i get the mouse clips aswel. been editing some drums recently, just droping samples in where necessary, and can here the clicks as i go along, same as on the SS videos (fine investment for anybody using SAW)

Iain

Bob L
02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Sure sounds like you have Windows Sounds turned on... check in the Control Panel in the Sounds and Multimedia or Audio sections and turn the sound themes OFF.

Bob L

lofi studios
02-06-2008, 01:49 AM
nope, there off, followed your xp tweaks to the letter, and the sound is when my speakers are pushed, at normal levels i dont hear it, i only noticed it as i was editing in silence.

Iain

AcousticGlue
02-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Maybe the mouse has some goofy setting for sounds. You're sure you select 'No Sounds' from Sounds in CP?

Bob L
02-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Well... try lifting the AC ground on the computer plug... see if that fixes it... if its a laptop... run on the batteries for a min and see if that fixes it...

Bob L

UpTilDawn
02-06-2008, 07:36 AM
It's not a Windows generated sound, more of a click type sound that you would want to remove in a .wav file you might be editing.

Like the kind of click/pop you hear when beginning playback at a wave peak instead of a zero-cross?

Have you found the solution yet?

DanT

Arco
02-06-2008, 08:10 AM
nope, there off, followed your xp tweaks to the letter, and the sound is when my speakers are pushed, at normal levels i dont hear it, i only noticed it as i was editing in silence.

Iain

Hey. I get it too.. when using Control Track "Cue Beginning and Play" control or any Control Track command where you cue a location and wait.

I can diminish the scuzzy pop sound by using that "Skip First Buffer Preload" command. It's like it takes 90% of the pop away...maybe a clue.

BTW, using the Preload Play (Enter) has no bad sound only Control Track commands.

HapHazzard
02-06-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm using SS in show control mode and when the warning window pops up that the next song is pre-loaded I here an audible click through the PA, as soon as the window pops up. Any ideas?

Fill us in on what it is that is going on at point of click. Is the pre-load a complete song or effect or midi?

In the pre-load, is the cue starting at a point in the middle of a wave? Or is it in front of a wave ahead a few samples or at "0"

Hap

Arco
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Fill us in on what it is that is going on at point of click. Is the pre-load a complete song or effect or midi?

In the pre-load, is the cue starting at a point in the middle of a wave? Or is it in front of a wave ahead a few samples or at "0"

Hap

In my case, absolutely nothing. I was just experimenting and this EDL had nothing going on for 30-40 seconds so all I heard was the pop.

RME HDSP 9632

The same pop with the "Cue Preload and Wait" command. I entered 20 seconds in the wait clock and the loaded the command. Got the same annoying pop.

Dosn't happen with regular playback or the pre-load and wait playback (using Enter to initiate playback).

Naturally Digital
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm using SS in show control mode and when the warning window pops up that the next song is pre-loaded I here an audible click through the PA, as soon as the window pops up. Any ideas?Are you using the ASIO driver? Do you still get the same click with other driver models?

Bob L
02-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Sounds like there is something cycling in the background that is causing interference with the soundcard circuitry itself. The preload and wait command starts the soundcard engine and waits for a go command.

Did you try lifting all AC grounds... regardless of what you have heard about the dangers... lift them for a test and see... if it works, then at least you have a choice of a possible solution... then you can decide whether you want to go that way or not.

What about wireless network cards in the background polling for a network... this could cause interference like that... try disabling wireless network cards for a test and see if that helps.

Bob L

Arco
02-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Sounds like there is something cycling in the background that is causing interference with the soundcard circuitry itself. The preload and wait command starts the soundcard engine and waits for a go command.

Did you try lifting all AC grounds... regardless of what you have heard about the dangers... lift them for a test and see... if it works, then at least you have a choice of a possible solution... then you can decide whether you want to go that way or not.

What about wireless network cards in the background polling for a network... this could cause interference like that... try disabling wireless network cards for a test and see if that helps.

Bob L

I was testing just to see if there was something similar going on in my system but I'm not that concerned with it as I use Control Track only for situations that don't involve crucial playback where there might be an audience.

It was so clear I thought perhaps everyone would have it too...

Why, if it were a AC ground lift issue, does it only occur when Control Track commands are in play but not when you preload/play using the Enter key?

BTW, I have two different PC's and both have the pop...

both have RME cards (HDSP 9632/Digi96PAD)
one PC running ASIO
one PC running "Standard Multimedia"
one Athlon the other IntelYou can't hear it unless you use the Control Track with an area that has no region in it..the playback somewhat masks the pop. So if you want to test: set a region about 20 seconds in, add the command (built-in) "Cue Beginning - Play" and give it a try...

Not a big deal for me but wanted to let Lofi Studios know he wasn't alone...

Bob L
02-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Sheesh... I use the Control Track in live shows all the time thru huge PA systems and have never heard any pops like that... so it makes me wonder what else is going on in the system that would cause it.

I will run some tests with my headphones and see if I can duplicate the problem.

Bob L