PDA

View Full Version : Automation Gallery Insert Anomaly

Dave Labrecque
02-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I may have mentioned this before. Here's more detail:

Sometimes when inserting automation from the Automation Gallery, I get an extra automation entry to the right of the intended set...

http://www.labrecquecreativesound.com/SAW_Stuff/stray%20automation.JPG

In this case it's an EQ ON entry.

I've had this happen with many different Gallery files, so I don't believe it's the file itself. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. No time to play right now, but I thought I'd start the thread, so we can lick this thing. Eventually. :) Anyone?

bcorkery
02-07-2008, 03:37 PM
No idea, but I like the skin you're using! :)

ambler
02-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Thank you. ;)

bcorkery
02-09-2008, 12:53 AM
No, Thank YOU Ambler. Thats my fave. Great job on it.

Dave,
Any insite to the dangling marker?

lofi studios
02-09-2008, 05:10 AM
what is the shade?

DominicPerry
02-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Pipenite

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
02-09-2008, 03:05 PM
No, Thank YOU Ambler. Thats my fave. Great job on it.

Dave,
Any insite to the dangling marker?

Yes, thanks to your insights, I was able to trace it to the cool skin I'm using. Silly. ;)

No idea. No one else has said they have the same issue. Odd. :confused:

Dave Labrecque
02-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Pipenite

Dominic

Actually, the shade file is called "silvershade by bit v1b.shd".

Naturally Digital
02-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Actually, the shade file is called "silvershade by bit v1b.shd".If it is, then you've renamed it somewhere along the way. I'm pretty sure that's the Pipenite shade. Are you tryin to pull one over on us Dave? :p:rolleyes:

Dave Labrecque
02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
If it is, then you've renamed it somewhere along the way. I'm pretty sure that's the Pipenite shade. Are you tryin to pull one over on us Dave? :p:rolleyes:

Not on-purpose. :) Yeah, I'm mistaken. I was on my notebook when responding, and assumed that the same shade (as used on my desktop SAW install) was the default on that computer, too. WRONG! :o

Dave Labrecque
02-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey, more info... when inserting the AUT from the gallery into a marked area, that stray entry still appears -- outside the marked area. Nutty. :confused:

Himhui
02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Dave, was it the same to do this with the original skin??:confused:

Dave Labrecque
02-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Dave, was it the same to do this with the original skin??:confused:

Gee, never tried switching skins. I don't see how that could be related. But I guess I could try...

UPDATE: okay, I tried different skins. No difference in behavior. I have noticed, though, that the stray entry appears .285 seconds after the initial entry in the AUT set, regardless of whether it's an insertion to a marked area, or of the size of the marked area, if used. :confused:

Dave Labrecque
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I may have mentioned this before. Here's more detail:

Sometimes when inserting automation from the Automation Gallery, I get an extra automation entry to the right of the intended set...

In this case it's an EQ ON entry.

I've had this happen with many different Gallery files, so I don't believe it's the file itself. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. No time to play right now, but I thought I'd start the thread, so we can lick this thing. Eventually. :) Anyone?

This just happened to me again. Are we any closer to a fix?

Just askin'...

Here's the file (http://www.labrecquecreativesound.com/SAW_Stuff/Plosive%20Fixer.aut), if that's any help, Bob. I tried re-saving it, but the stray entry still appears on insert back to the MT.

Bob L
10-19-2008, 01:38 PM
It does not seem to add an extra entry at the end... it actually inserts exactly what is saved... but it does appear that your gallery file does not display the actual last entry in the gallery display window.

Insert your entry... then mark the area leaving out the last entry and save a new gallery entry... the display will again not show the last entry... but if you insert it underneath the automation you made it from, you should see that it is inserting the exact thing that was saved.

The problem appears to be a display thing in the gallery window itself.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
OK... a bit more detective work...

In some sessions, the stray entry does not appear upon insertion of the "infected" AUT file.

In other sessions (like the one in which I noticed it), a stray entry appears for every inserted AUT file.

I've found that if I clear the mixer back to default using the Mixer menu command, the problem goes away. I've been trying to approach that condition one thing at a time, and have got this far without the problem going away: manually cleared all channels using the alt-right-click "clear current channel" context menu command (for all three channel types).

What else is there that the Mixer menu command does?

Bob L
10-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Are you using time compression or other lateny causing plugs... perhaps they are playing havoc with automation entry placement.

Your infected .aut file did not cause the problem here as I noted in my message.

If you use it in a fresh empty session, does it still mess up?

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
10-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Are you using time compression or other lateny causing plugs... perhaps they are playing havoc with automation entry placement.

Your infected .aut file did not cause the problem here as I noted in my message.

If you use it in a fresh empty session, does it still mess up?

Bob L

Thanks for the thought about latency-causing plugs. Yes -- I had a UAD-1 LA-2A on the output channel (why it didn't get cleared when I cleared all the channels is a mystery. I've had occasional issues with things not getting cleared when doing that, so I'll keep my eye out for that. Yes, I did it for each channel type. Maybe I screwed up. Who knows.)

I took the UAD plug out and the problem went away. This surprises me. I figured latency only came into play when the engine is live. But here, it's affecting off-line editing. In this case it adds a stray entry for ANY automation gallery insertion to the MT. The stray entry shows up about 260 ms from the beginning of the inserted automation, which is no doubt related to the plug's latency and my buffer settings and MT sample rate.

Any hope of trapping for this, Bob?

Bob L
10-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Well... that is strange actually... just thought I'd ask... did not expect that answer.

Inserting automation gallery entries should have nothing to do with the plugs at insert time... only during playback... I'm puzzled.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
10-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Can any other UAD-1-ers check this on their systems?

For me, it seems that an LA-2A (or any latency-causing plug?) patched on any track will create a condition whereby an extra automation entry shows up at a certain point following the initial automation entry of any inserted Automation Gallery item. For me, using the LA-2A, it's at about 260 ms (6x1024 playback buffers setting at 48 KHz sample rate). Note that if the Gallery item so inserted is longer than a quarter second or so, the extra entry may not be obvious; you may have to zoom in to see this oddball entry among the expected ones, but upon zooming in it is obvious.

I know it works when the LA-2A is patched onto the Output 1 channel (and Gallery automation inserted to an input channel), so try that first.

Thanks.

Bud Johnson
10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Dave,
Reading your threads is like watching an episode of house!
Intended as a compliment.

Dave Labrecque
10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Dave,
Reading your threads is like watching an episode of house!
Intended as a compliment.

I'll see about taking it that way. :p