PDA

View Full Version : Echoaudio Firewire 4in-4out

AcousticGlue
02-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Anyone using an Echo firewire product with Sawstudio? Does it function well in Tape mode with what drivers?

Thanks,

DominicPerry
02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I have an Echo AudioFire4 and it's quite good but although the buffers go down to 32 samples, I can't get below 4x128 on my laptop, whereas I used to get 4x64 on the RME Digiface. It also intermittently glitches and has to be switched off. Also, when opening or closing the AudioFire control panel, it interrupts the sound very badly. It also fails to pick up the S/PDIF sample rate sometimes when clocked externally. But overall it's better than anything else I've used except the Cardbus Digiface.
In the past I've used the Fireface 400 and it was a little flaky at low latencies, the Mackie Onyx F/W card in the 1220 mixer (rubbish), the Focusrite Saffire 26io (really rubbish) and the Tascam US144L (quite rubbish). If I had the money I would buy RME. I would never buy Mackie again, nor Focusrite. The Tascam was so cheap it was bound to be rubbish - although Bill Park has had good luck with the Tascam interfaces.

Dominic