PDA

View Full Version : MWS Velocity

republik
02-15-2008, 09:37 AM
I find editing velocity in MWS with the pencil tool somewhat difficult. Is there a keystroke or function I can use to adjust the velocity of a note smoothly? It's difficult to quickly feel it out when i have to keep swooping the pencil across the velocity line from the right.

Himhui
02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
:)

Bob L
02-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Not sure what you are finding so difficult... with the pencil mode for velocity editing you can simply sweep the mouse across notes and the velocity value will be the vertical position of the mouse as it passes by the note boundary (on or off depending on choice). If you sweep the mouse in a straight horizintal line, you will set all velocities very equal. if you sweep the mouse up or down as you go, then you will adjust the velocity values accordingly.

If you want to set all notes within a marked area to an exact velocity, use the Modify menu... or use Select Mode and select the notes you wish to change, then click in the key note entry displayed at the top of the MT.

Or, for single note adjustment, just click on the note... it becomes the key entry, and then click in the velocity zone to adjust.

Bob L

republik
02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info! I just found the pencil tool difficult to use when i'm editing the velocity of intricate drum fills. I'm using BFD, and the smallest change in velocity alters the tibre. So I find it difficult to make slight changes in velocity with a sweep.

I completely missed the key entry knobs though, even though they are staring me in the face. Are there keystrokes assigned to them? Like up/down or what not?

Bob L
02-15-2008, 11:49 AM
You will notice + - under the key entry zones... click near those markings under the zones to dec/inc the value... or click in the zone and select popup menu or keyboard control of the value...

Also... if you are trying to use the pencil draw mode, make sure you use one of the F-Key views that expand on track up to a very big size... then it becomes much easier to control the sweep and velocity values.

Bob L

arandal1
12-27-2008, 04:58 AM
Is there a way to play a vsti and have the velocity neutral as you play it? In other words turn velocity off while playing the keyboard? Thanks in advance!!1:confused:

Bob L
12-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Many of the plugins themselves will allow you to set the velocity range and reaction values. There is no velocity input filter in MWS... you can set all velocity to one value after the track is recorded if you want by marking the track and using the modify velocity menu option.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
12-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Is there a way to play a vsti and have the velocity neutral as you play it? In other words turn velocity off while playing the keyboard? Thanks in advance!!1:confused:

If I'm not mistaken, using the virtual graphic keyboard in MWS, the velocity value will be the same regardless of how hard you click. ;) Maximum velocity, I think.

If you mean a hardware keyboard controller, then you may be able to control the velocity range on the keyboard itself. In this case you'd want to minimize the range, of course.

arandal1
12-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks alot....that really works. Unfortunately I dont have that pefect touch to controll perfect multi velocity playing, and it much better to keep all notes the same while playing. Then I can edit in either MWS or use track fader automation. I play some really complicated and fast runs, and sometimes MWS does'nt always read all the notes played. I'm kinda hoping that with all velocities originally played loud would prevent the MWS missing notes thingy! Thanks for the tip eitherway! To be continued....

Allen
Life composes music, and music composes life!;)

Bob L
12-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Low velocity settings would not keep a note from being read or recorded... it would still see the note, although if the velocity is too low, then perhaps your instrument would not sound... but the note would still be on the track and could be adjusted later.

If you are skipping notes then it would most likely be your midi keyboard sensitivity setting or your midi port driver.

Bob L