PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Eye Rx due, about time!

Warren
02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I am sad to say I have reread many of my past posts
In an attempt to dispel any confusion in my mind about
what I had stated in reply to others questions.
I found out that many where not always understandable
or for that matter very nice. :o

I realized that at 40 one should get their eye’s checked,
because at 49 it’s too late. I now need glasses or contacts.
I guess pride has gotten in the way because until know my
eyes have always been great. Anyway I just wanted to state
I am sorry for my many confusing statements and for any that
may have been mean replies, I assure you I would not have
stated some of those things if I could read the previous posts.

Stinks when your age catches up with you, I now feel like
Mr. MaGoo a name some older folks might understand.

Sorry for the confusion :o

Nuf said

mako
02-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you

Best wishes

mako

Ian Alexander
02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Change is hard, but I am struggling to come up with any sympathy, Warren. :) I got my first pair of glasses when I was six years old. That was 39 years ago. I am now getting used to my first pair of bifocals. I have discovered there are several new muscles to get sore in my neck due to holding my head at different angles.:D On the up side, with my glasses I can see very well, which is cause for happiness.:o

IraSeigel
02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I am sad to say I have reread many of my past posts
In an attempt to dispel any confusion in my mind about
what I had stated in reply to others questions.
I found out that many where not always understandable
or for that matter very nice. :o

I realized that at 40 one should get their eye’s checked,
because at 49 it’s too late. I now need glasses or contacts.
I guess pride has gotten in the way because until know my
eyes have always been great. Anyway I just wanted to state
I am sorry for my many confusing statements and for any that
may have been mean replies, I assure you I would not have
stated some of those things if I could read the previous posts.

Stinks when your age catches up with you, I now feel like
Mr. MaGoo a name some older folks might understand.

Sorry for the confusion :o

Nuf said

WHAT??!! What's that ya say, you young whippersnapper??!! Dang it, my hearing's shot! Can't hear ya apologizin'!! Better go get my hearing aid checked.

Now where was I?? Dag nabbit!!;)

Warren
02-24-2008, 09:22 PM
WHAT??!! What's that ya say, you young whippersnapper??!! Dang it, my hearing's shot! Can't hear ya apologizin'!! Better go get my hearing aid checked.

Now where was I?? Dag nabbit!!;)

:p :p :p Thanks for that. I pray not. but I am sure that hearing will be behind me some day as well. I will only be able to do tech work at that time, but at least I won't be able to hear my wife harping on me.:p Just kidding.:D

Pedro Itriago
02-25-2008, 04:16 AM
As a matter of fact I was thinking while writting a post on another site just before comming here how it sucked to have glasses. I'm celebreating the 2 year mark wearing them after 40 years of perfect eyesight. Would all the 'plane travel have something to do with it?

Ian Alexander
02-25-2008, 08:00 AM
As a matter of fact I was thinking while writting a post on another site just before comming here how it sucked to have glasses. I'm celebreating the 2 year mark wearing them after 40 years of perfect eyesight. Would all the 'plane travel have something to do with it?
Absolutely. Those who travel fancy have no such trouble.:D Also, the lens becomes less flexible as we age, reducing the range of distances at which the eyes can focus. For some, the relaxed state of the lens is perfectly focussed at infinity, so they can drive, walk, play sports, etc. But the lens will no longer focus at very short distances, so they have to get reading glasses. It's a perfectly natural development. You can't blame it on planes, loud music, or anything other than having more than 40 birthdays. Since you missed out on the joy of glasses for those first four decades, count yourself fortunate.:)

Tim Miskimon
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
When we reach our 40s everyone of us will start to develope changes in eyesight.
And guess what - it will keep happening until the day you die.
The eyeball literally keeps changing shape & the way it handles light - it never ends - you can't change nature.
Sometimes lazer surgery will correct it temporarly but even that will reverse itself in time.
Get use to glasses.
The best thing you can do for your eyes is to take a break every hour or so from staring at the computer - go outside - look into the distance and give you eyes a chance to refocus.
Staring at the computer all day is bad on the eyes.
I recently ordered trifocals...:(
I tried the progressive lens but couldn't get use to how everything to the sides looked bent and out of focus. Nice idea but too narrow of field for me.

Sean McCoy
02-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I couldn't handle the edge blurriness of the progressives either. In the past two years I've found myself having to take my glasses off more and more frequently as my nearsightedness' focal point rapidly moves back.

But enough, guys, this is a depressing thread! :(

DominicPerry
02-25-2008, 04:40 PM
I need a tri-band hearing aid.

Dominic

Pedro Itriago
02-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Soon, along with the new SAC forum, we'll need a geriatrics forum.

IraSeigel
02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I hate my bifocals, too. I'm planning on using SAC with my new Braille Thinkpad tablet.

Ira

Warren
02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
I hate my bifocals, too. I'm planning on using SAC with my new Braille Thinkpad tablet.

Ira

WoW they make those?:eek: :D

studio-c
02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Progressives here too.
One of my editors likes to set the video monitor on top of a CD player on the desk (about 5 inches extra height). He does it for the real estate, and being able to import music on the fly into SS.
Every time I sit at his work space, I have to look out the lower part of my glasses, so I'm craning my neck really high. So I take the CD player out, and it works much better.

In the studio, I'm about to get new video monitors that hang lower, as the current ones sit on top of the meter bridge. Same thing, neck crane, back ache.

One solution is to get a second pair of cheaper glasses that are focused at your computer monitor distance, so you can see evenly.

It sux getting old! LOL.

Cheers,
Scott

Eric
02-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Unfortunately I can't remember the names.

Mark

The eyes aren't the only things going, eh, Mark? :p

Cary B. Cornett
02-28-2008, 09:14 AM
One of my editors likes to set the video monitor on top of a CD player on the desk (about 5 inches extra height). Every time I sit at his work space, I have to look out the lower part of my glasses, so I'm craning my neck really high. So I take the CD player out, and it works much better.

In the studio, I'm about to get new video monitors that hang lower, as the current ones sit on top of the meter bridge. Same thing, neck crane, back ache. A couple of years of having the CRT atop the meter bridge persuaded me of two things:

1) Having a big console in the way is a pain in the neck, and

2) Displays should be "down and back" (like reading a book).

Last time I researched computer work station ergonomics, there were split opinions about "up in the air" vs. "down and back". I went to considerable trouble to implement the latter, and have never been sorry that I did.

One solution is to get a second pair of cheaper glasses that are focused at your computer monitor distance, so you can see evenly. I have been using cheap reading glasses for reading and "close work" for a while now, although not usually for my computer work.

It sux getting old! LOL. Yeah, but it sure beats hell out of the alternative. :eek: One of my older friends (who has the unmitigated gall to look younger than I do, without dyes or surgery) has said, "Every day that I can look at the grass and see it from the green side is a good day!" :D

studio-c
02-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Of course there are the ones like on the news sets that are viewed through the glass desktop. But I'd settle for the bottom of the screen being at desk height. So the top of the display is just a bit below eye level. Plus if you don't use a meter bridge (they're always extra on the mid-range boards) it doesn't look like you're missing something. :)

There are a lot of those moveable monitor arm devices out nowadays that you can buy at Fry's or places like that. The solutions are getting mainstream, so they're getting cheaper.

Cheers,
Scott

Cary B. Cornett
02-29-2008, 12:51 AM
I agree, but there are real estate limitations in many studios...like mine. Actually, limited space was one of the driving factors for ditching the desk in favor of a control setup with a much smaller footprint.
One day I'll buy or build the ideal desk, but it always seems like a moving target as technology keeps advancing. I built some of my studio furniture in pursuit of said "ideal" desk. My monitor stand was obsoleted after a few years when I gave up dual CRT's for a single flat panel display. The low sloping racks I built got pushed aside in favor of ATA-style road cases for easy portability. The baffle box I carefully crafted to hold two computers now only holds one, and the fan assembly I made for cooling it mostly sits idle because that one computer does not raise the temp in the box enough to need more than convection cooling. So... I know what you mean about that "moving target". :o

Just as I thought I had the monitor situation solved, I lust for newer ones. I'm pretty happy with my current single display, which was a major factor in making field recording practical (even to the point of actually sitting out in a field one night capturing cricket and frog sound FX for a play I was working on). Working to shrink the overall size of the equipment package has been an interesting (and rewarding) process. :cool:

Cary B. Cornett
02-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Of course there are the ones like on the news sets that are viewed through the glass desktop. But I'd settle for the bottom of the screen being at desk height. So the top of the display is just a bit below eye level. That's pretty much what I went for, and it works for me.
Plus if you don't use a meter bridge (they're always extra on the mid-range boards) it doesn't look like you're missing something. :) Yeah, but actually getting rid of the board is even better, scary as it was at first.

There are a lot of those moveable monitor arm devices out nowadays that you can buy at Fry's or places like that. The solutions are getting mainstream, so they're getting cheaper. The only "moveable arm" I use is my spring-loaded mic boom. A monitor arm looks to me like it might get in the way of monitoring, as I don't like anything at all to be between the speakers and my ears. Forcing my setup to a smaller footprint has some real benefits that way.

studio-c
02-29-2008, 03:01 PM
A monitor arm looks to me like it might get in the way of monitoring, as I don't like anything at all to be between the speakers and my ears. Forcing my setup to a smaller footprint has some real benefits that way.
I'm talking about positioning the monitor(s) right down where the meter bridge would normally be. Actually lower and more out of the way than a raised monitor (mine are now sitting ON the meter bridge cabinetry).

Still too chicken to get rid of the board entirely in the voiceover studio room. For postproduction I'm all over it. All that talkback/ride the fader while recording/control stuff :)