PDA

View Full Version : Offset Mode: how it affects mixer switches

Dave Labrecque
03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I think I'd find it helpful if Offset Mode worked on the toggle position of switches. Currently, it seems to ignore them (that is, they switch fine, but then return to their pre-Offset Mode position when exiting Offset Mode).

Anyone else?

Bob, any reason not to do this?

Bob L
03-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Is there a proper way to offset the value of an on/off switch... not in my opinion... its either ON or OFF... it has nothing to do with an offset value that says its on... but only partially on. :)

Switchws are ignored in Offset mode because they don'y have multiple value levels.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
03-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Is there a proper way to offset the value of an on/off switch... not in my opinion... its either ON or OFF... it has nothing to do with an offset value that says its on... but only partially on. :)

Switchws are ignored in Offset mode because they don'y have multiple value levels.

Bob L

Well, it'd be handy to be able toggle all automation entries of switch x to position a. I was thinking that marking the area containing the entries in Offset Mode would be the way to select them for such an operation.

Perhaps there would be a better implementation?

I thought of Offset Mode, too, because it's a way to try temporary fader settings (for example) that stay while you start/stop playback, and that you don't have to commit to, since you can get back to the way you were before the experimenting with a right-click on the Offset button. In the same way, one could toggle, say, the Aux Send in/out switch while starting/stopping playback from different spots, adjusting mix levels with and without reverb. Lots of real-time mixing flexibility this way as I see it.

Am I crazy? Too specialized?

Bob L
03-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Dave... if you simply select all chans on the mixer and then press the switch... all chans will set the same for that switch... if you are in automation mode... you will write that in for all tracks.

Offset Mode does not need to come into play for changing switches.

Bob L

bcorkery
03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Dave,

How about a snapshot. If it works fagedaboudit. If not, go back.

Dave Labrecque
03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Dave... if you simply select all chans on the mixer and then press the switch... all chans will set the same for that switch... if you are in automation mode... you will write that in for all tracks.

Offset Mode does not need to come into play for changing switches.

Bob L

Bob -- I don't mean the same switch across many channels. I mean all the automation entries on a given track for a given switch. To be able to switch them all to the same setting en masse. Or even just one. With other controls Offset Mode gives you the choice of altering one or several. That's why it (Offset Mode) occurred to me as a "natural" for this. :)

Dave Labrecque
03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Dave,

How about a snapshot. If it works fagedaboudit. If not, go back.

Hmmm... that would be little scary, methinks: counting on undos not being written as I tweak other controls, so that I can throw (undo) the switch(es) back to how they were before, if I like, without impacting the tweaks I made in the meantime?

Bob L
03-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Ok Dave... I see what you are saying... let me look into the idea and see how it might be implemented.

Bob L

bcorkery
03-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Hmmm... that would be little scary, methinks: counting on undos not being written as I tweak other controls, so that I can throw (undo) the switch(es) back to how they were before, if I like, without impacting the tweaks I made in the meantime? The ol' AH HA!

Dave Labrecque
03-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok Dave... I see what you are saying... let me look into the idea and see how it might be implemented.

Bob L

Thanks, Bob. :)