PDA

View Full Version : Many Files.. what are they for??

dragoodan
03-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi. I have been working on a basic music proyect on SS, and I just realized many copies with different nametags were created along the way, what are they for? If I erase them, what would happen?

They are on folders (not created by me) named "Audio" and "Images"

THX!!

mako
03-04-2008, 05:11 PM
SS saves "undo" files to disk. This means if you power off then later want to go back to the project, the undo files are still available.

If you delete them you just lose your ability to "undo".

cheers

mako

dragoodan
03-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Allright, but how do I know which ones are which?

I have 6 Track Wav files for 191 MBs total. The other files make it a 431 MB storage need, that is 240 additional Mbs, it is around 140% More than my original clips..

Does this happen with each proyect, I mean, if I wish to have the ability to undo, that is?

Arco
03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Allright, but how do I know which ones are which?

I have 6 Track Wav files for 191 MBs total. The other files make it a 431 MB storage need, that is 240 additional Mbs, it is around 140% More than my original clips..

Does this happen with each proyect, I mean, if I wish to have the ability to undo, that is?

Can you list some of the type of files you're seeing. The UNDO files that SAW creates are very small..tiny! I'm not sure what that extra 240M worth of files are coming from. Are they WAV files? List some of the names here so we can help you out.

BTW, you might want to read the manual again referencing the "File Path Setup" It will help you understand how best to deal with folders.

Bob L
03-04-2008, 06:43 PM
There are many different file types involved in a complete session... this is why I highly recommend starting each session or song in a new folder... then all referenced files for that session will be contained in that folder (by normal default).

You will want to read the helpfile section that explains setting your default paths and you will also find a reference in there for the different file types created.

Bob L

dragoodan
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
:confused: Sure, here are some examples:

The original sounfile is named AllNightAllDay_Full_Guitar1.wav @31.8 MB

and some extras are: AllNightAllDay_Full_Guitar1_L.wav @15.9 MB
AllNightAllDay_Full_Guitar1_R.wav @15.9 MB

hmm.. Im beggining to see something here.. Why would they be split into Mono tracks? (being that the case)

P.S The Other folder created, named Images contains some small 'PEAK' files, those I see no issue with.

dragoodan
03-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Sorry Bob, you posted just as I was writting mine.

Ok, so I have read the Help, and I am assuming that those files are the Session EDL's.. is this correct? If so, how am I to deal with these files if I have already rendered my proyect but wish to maintain all the information regarding the use of regions, plugin FX, automation data and so forth; is it all contained in sufficience in the .edl save file?

Thanks!

Bob L
03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
A session edl file is only a series of link and pointer information into all of the wav files that carry the actual audio data. You must retain all of those files if you still want to edit them later.

Your final buildmix wav file is a complete finished mix of the project and will play anywhere... but it is not the project itself... so if you delete the source files, you loose the ability to make changes.

Do not concern yourself at all with the size of all the wav files... that is what it takes to store the data.

You can stop the creation of edl undo files if you want in the Options menu... but then you give the ability to step backwards thru your edits... and these files are generally extremely small anyway.... so you really have no reason to sacrifice them in my opinion.

I am not sure where you are getting into an images folder... SS makes no use of that and does not create that on its own...

Watch my demo band video... the first one... watch the very beginning of it and see how I create a session folder and name the session... then watch after the recording how all the created files end up in that folder... that is the way you will want to work.

Bob L

andy cross
03-06-2008, 10:51 AM
They are on folders (not created by me) named "Audio" and "Images"

Is SS the only DAW you have been using? I only ask because Cubase creates folders with these names when you start a new project.

Jay Q
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
The original sounfile is named AllNightAllDay_Full_Guitar1.wav @31.8 MB

and some extras are: AllNightAllDay_Full_Guitar1_L.wav @15.9 MB
AllNightAllDay_Full_Guitar1_R.wav @15.9 MB

hmm.. Im beggining to see something here.. Why would they be split into Mono tracks? (being that the case)
They wouldn't normally. If you record or import a stereo file, it stays a stereo file. If you change the input source to mono, another file would be created, but it doesn't merely append "_L" or "_R" to the name (unless it does in a version of SS different from what I have).

Tell us a bit more about your process. Are you using other software with SS? Did you do any kind of file export (either from SS or something else)? Seems something's not adding up.

Jay

EDIT: Oh, just saw Andy's post. Yeah, it seems there's probably some other software in the mix here.

dragoodan
03-06-2008, 06:11 PM
:rolleyes:

Well.. now that you mention it, I did start off by using Cubase, but since it slows down on plugins and is a real resource monster, I decided Pro was the way to go ;) Well.. if SS has no in on this, and Cubas3 is the guilty party here.. there we have another reason why SS rules and cubase..

..not so much.

I believe the problem is solved... ( I have to use cubase for a course Im taking, but now I will keep my eyes open for these added files)

Thx!!