PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up menus split between dual monitors

Dave Labrecque
10-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Hey, Bob...

The new HUGE pop-up automation type menu reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask...

Would there be a way to force such menus not to cross over a dual monitor display from one screen to the other? Makes it tough to read the menu items.

Examples that come to mind are the new automation type menu, and any context (right-click) menu. Also, those UAD-1 changed buffer size warnings, though I don't know if that's out of your hands or not. Also, pop-up menus on plug-in interfaces. Any pop-up menus, I guess.

Bob L
10-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Popup menus follow their own rules about positioning in many cases... especially where they decide when to switch from left to right and so forth.

Dialog message boxes can be controlled with the dual monitor options in SAWStudio, but popup menus are another story.

To be honest, these types of things are what caused me to give up on my dual monitor setups... I have found a single monitor at 1600 x 1200 or higher is my preferred way of working.

Bob L

Perry
10-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Dave, you might try looking in your Matrox software for that sort of thing. There should be a setting somewhere there to prevent these problems. I know with the nVidia software I was able to set these things and didn't have problems with spanning... pretty sure you can do it too with the Matrox software.

I'm with Bob on this btw. After exclaiming that dual monitors were the best thing ever to happen... I eventually grew tired of the experience. I went back to a single monitor (21 in CRT) at 1600X1200 for a while and then after waiting for a long time for prices to come down and the technology to go up... I just sprang for a 23 in wide screen Apple Cinema flat panel.

SAWStudio @ 1920 X 1200 is a sight to behold. Not as much real estate as dual 21 inchers (which I also tried) but I prefer it... and definitely no more "spanning" problems ever.

Of course... I might change my mind again before it's all over. :rolleyes:

Anyway... try that Matrox software; there should be a setting related to where the pop-ups.. pop up! :)

Perry

Bob L
10-13-2004, 12:57 AM
Be careful with the Matrox (or any) software options that attempt to control the dialogs and menus... these have been definitely known in the past to cause dialog listbox corruption and other weirdnesses.

If you turn them on... watch the system closely for random weird behaviour... and consider that there is a connection if you run into any.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
10-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Perry,

Can't find anything in the Matrox software for that. I suppose switching to 'independent mode' might do it, but I don't think that'll be a good thing in general.

Dave Labrecque
10-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Bob. I'll keep a watchful eye.

Dave Labrecque
10-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Perry, Bob...

This might be good news. I switched to 'Independent Mode' and it's keeping the pop-up menus from spanning, while still giving me the full width to work with in SAW. We'll see...

Thanks for making me poke around in the Matrox software, Perry. :)

Perry
10-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Be careful with the Matrox (or any) software options that attempt to control the dialogs and menus... these have been definitely known in the past to cause dialog listbox corruption and other weirdnesses.

If you turn them on... watch the system closely for random weird behaviour... and consider that there is a connection if you run into any.

Bob L

Good idea! I guess I should have remembered that. I had forgotten chasing this stuff around in the past. I did run into various weird screen stuff. After trying an assortment of video card brands and models I eventually ended up with the nVidia cards and their software as being the overall best (for me at least) in this regards.

I was finally able to get everything to go.. and stay... where I wanted it to.. including the Wide Mixer! ;) I didn't have any "weird" screen problems thereafter and I had forgotten about the earlier problems.

But... I agree about the single monitor; I like this best and with your F-Key set-ups there's no need to worry about this other stuff.

Of course, a lot of people are going to still want to use dual monitors.. so...

I hope you get it sorted out Dave!!! :)

Perry