PDA

View Full Version : Saw Levelizer Crashes Session, Wow!

HapHazzard
03-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I noticed for a few times now that I can crash SSL with the Levelizer and without warning, just poof and SSL is gone!:eek:

It may be something I'm doing so here goes.

16 ch Session running and listening to the tracks

Only a few plugs two of which are SIR 1011.

Levelizer is at Master / Post fader and is bypassed via the bypass button within the Levelizer.

As soon as I press the Bypass button within Levelizer...Poof! I'm back to my desktop and no sign of SSL anywhere:confused:. Wow!

Now this could be sometime I'm doing out of sequence. Let me know if thereis an issue with how I'm doing this.

Hap

HapHazzard
03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Just went back to document the event and so far I can't get the crash to occure again. :cool:

Grrr.

I'll keep my eyes opened on what I'm doing and what's going on.

It's happened just three times now on different sessions.

I'll check back right if it happenes again.

In the meantime "Bob" back to work. Got sweaty palms for SAC.:D

Hap

DBenkert
03-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Hey Hap,

Unfortuantely, I can't be of any help, but I can say I have seen this as well. I can never re-create it when I want or re-trace my steps to have it occur again. I have tried a few things, but never re-created it on purpose :(

I happens the same time as you stated, when doing something with the bypass button and then I click back on a track in the MT (I know there are more steps than that, but that is the jist.)

Anyway, if I see it again, I will try to re-create the issue. I know it's pretty near impossible to fix an issue that can't be re-created all the time.

Bob L
03-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Something to consider is that the Levelizer will alter buffer sizes when using the Peak Limit/Normalize mode.... certain VST (especially) plugins do not like changing buffer sizes and will crash hard if they receive a new buffer that is larger than the last... so my guess is the problem happens only when certain plugins (like SIR maybe) are used and you then engage the Levelizer.

VST protocol made no provision for changing the buffer size.... which is why all the latency stuff came about... plugs that needed to withhold data to process later in their algorithm were forced to return blank buffers of the same size into the data stream... and therefore cause their processed data to come late.

Bob L

HapHazzard
03-10-2008, 06:13 AM
Something to consider is that the Levelizer will alter buffer sizes when using the Peak Limit/Normalize mode.... certain VST (especially) plugins do not like changing buffer sizes and will crash hard if they receive a new buffer that is larger than the last... so my guess is the problem happens only when certain plugins (like SIR maybe) are used and you then engage the Levelizer.

VST protocol made no provision for changing the buffer size.... which is why all the latency stuff came about... plugs that needed to withhold data to process later in their algorithm were forced to return blank buffers of the same size into the data stream... and therefore cause their processed data to come late.

Bob LI kind of figured that a buffer change might be the issue. In the begaining, of me using PC based recording (SX3), I would alway be crashing while changing a plug-in's state via the VST.

One way I could try and change a state would be from the FX bypass via the channel strip (Z Mixer). That is if it is the only VST there. Other then that ...."Don't do that anymore!" Wait till I stop the transport if I suspect I'll crash my session.:D

Thanks for the heads up, Bob

Hap