PDA

View Full Version : Toslink to laptop

bcorkery
03-12-2008, 11:29 PM
How are you bringing light pipe into a laptop?

Thanks,
Bill

Bob L
03-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Two choices I am using:

1) RME PCMCIA cardbus connected to either a MultiFace or DigiFace box.

2) M-Audio FirePro LightBridge connected thru firewire.

Both are doing fine... the RME has been extremely stable always... the M-Audio is just in testing for SAC... have never depended on it on a gig yet, so I can not vouche for its stability.

Bob L

Base1studio
03-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Two choices I am using:

1) RME PCMCIA cardbus connected to either a MultiFace or DigiFace box.

Bob L

I have used this method for a few years now and it works great. Very stable!!

AudioAstronomer
03-13-2008, 06:50 AM
I just picked up a lightbridge and an io26...

Going to be testing them all next week. The io26 looks rather promising for live with 8 mediocre pre-amps and 16 channels of adat in, along with 2 more spdif for 26 in total.

Dave Labrecque
03-13-2008, 07:23 AM
I have used this method for a few years now and it works great. Very stable!!

Me, three. (RME Digiface/cardbus) Never a hiccup on-location.

Craig Allen
03-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Me, three. (RME Digiface/cardbus) Never a hiccup on-location.
Me, 4 - Multiface into my Toshiba laptop mixing with SAW in Live Mode for years without any problems.

bcorkery
03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Anybody using the ADA8000 with a laptop?

Bob L
03-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Sure... no difference than using it with a desktop... still goes into my MultiFace or DigiFace boxes.

Bob L

bcorkery
03-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks Bob.

mikebuzz
03-13-2008, 02:46 PM
the ProFire looks like the low cost solution if it's stable !!! 32 ch's in/out for $400 !! + 4 ADA8000's = $230x4 $1400 for 32 I/O !!!

Later
Buzz

AudioAstronomer
03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Anybody using the ADA8000 with a laptop?

Yep, and only with a laptop.

bcorkery
03-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Is there any way to take the lightpipe straight out of the Behringer and into the laptop? Gotta go through another box?

M-Audio has a gadget that seems to convert tollink to usb. Is that a possibllity?

Craig Allen
03-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Is there any way to take the lightpipe straight out of the Behringer and into the laptop? Gotta go through another box?

M-Audio has a gadget that seems to convert tollink to usb. Is that a possibllity?
You gotta take it through some sort of sound card - I haven't seen any laptops with ADAT in. I don't know what the M-Audio piece is, but it would be a sound card as well - just a USB one.

Dave Labrecque
03-13-2008, 09:08 PM

What Robert said. Three ADA8000's into a Digiface for my laptop. Always works. Half a dozen multitrack location gigs so far and never a problem (that I didn't cause myself ;)). There's a lot to be said for that.

The only way I know of to avoid a lightpipe interface and still get lightpipe into a laptop is to buy a special laptop that has lightpipe ins. Silly. :rolleyes:

And, by the way, I gotta say that for my clientele, these ADA's sound fine. In fact, they sound freakin' great, period (and for $29/channel no less).

Check out some of the preliminary mixes for a current project:

http://www.labrecquecreativesound.com/ClientFiles/RobertShaw/

Yes, all ADA8000 (fed by mostly SM58's, no less! OK, I did have a couple drum mics...).

bcorkery
03-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Sounds freakin' GREAT!
Thanks for sharing Dave.

AudioAstronomer
03-13-2008, 09:41 PM

It's just a soundcard with no analog in's iirc. Only adat. in, and 2 analog out.

For my money, I think the io26 is probably a better deal but I don't know how well it operates yet. So I just bought both :o The io26 has 8 pre's onboard, along with 24 adat in + 2 spdif in... same price as the m-audio lightbridge. I'll be testing with a presonus digimax and behringer ada8000 for now.

I'm kinda sad that I have to replace my old motu 896.. but time moves on, and this time it's much cheaper :)

edit: should mention the lightbridge is firewire.

bcorkery
03-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks Mike. I'll look into the ProFire.
Robert, I'll check out the io26 too.

Thanks for all the input.

This place is great,
Bill

Cary B. Cornett
03-14-2008, 05:20 AM
What Robert said. Three ADA8000's into a Digiface for my laptop. Always works. ... these ADA's sound fine. In fact, they sound freakin' great, period (and for $29/channel no less).

Check out some of the preliminary mixes for a current project:

http://www.labrecquecreativesound.com/ClientFiles/RobertShaw/
I sometimes forget that "gospel music" means different things depending on which side of the "color bar" the author is. Here is another example, choir recorded with 2 AKG 451's into an ADA8000 to SSL:
Ain't Got Time To Die
(http://www.cprec.com/mcc)

Dave Labrecque
03-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I sometimes forget that "gospel music" means different things depending on which side of the "color bar" the author is. Here is another example, choir recorded with 2 AKG 451's into an ADA8000 to SSL:
Ain't Got Time To Die

Just getting to this... love it. I've fallen in love with Gospel music in a whole new way working on this Gospel CD for Robert Shaw (as Elvis). I love the "beamingly happy" attitude and sense of fun in a lot of it. The fact that it was embraced and developed so wonderfully by a people who endured so much suffering is perhaps the most amazing part.

Thanks for sharing, Cary.

IraSeigel
03-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Ain't Got Time To Die

Cary, can you please describe the choir, and how it was set up? A Photo would be GREAT.

How many voices, spread out how, how many rows, etc.

I am doing Easter choirs coming up, and I'd like to be able to compare your recordings to mine

Thanks,
Ira

Cary B. Cornett
03-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Cary, can you please describe the choir, and how it was set up? A Photo would be GREAT.

How many voices, spread out how, how many rows, etc. Wish I could oblige with a photo, but use of a camera inside a chapel requires special permission (nothing hidden, as all are welcome, more a matter of not detracting from the spirit of the place).

The Michigan Concert Choir is about 60 voices. At present, women outnumber men at least 3:2. Sections are often placed left to right (director's POV) in order Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass. For this recording, the choir was seated in 4 straight rows (OK, so we actually stood to sing...), with each row maybe 6" higher than the row in front of it.

The mics were about 4 feet away from the front of the choir and probably 3 feet above it. This placement is probably closer than optimal, but we couldn't put the stand out in the audience. The soloist is the director, and she stood in the same place as when directing, except facing the audience (other than that one line that drops out near the end, where she turned to look at the choir... I later reminded her that was a BAD idea, and she did not do it in the following performance a week later ;) ). The microphones are omnis (CK2 capsules) mounted on a Jecklin Disk (more about this elsewhere). If you are using cardioid mics, probably the nearest equivalent would be an ORTF arrangement (capsules 17 cm apart on an included angle of 110 degrees, IIRC), although that will get a bit less audience pickup (probably no big deal) and a bit less room ambience.

Let us know how your recording comes out!