PDA

View Full Version : A good batch converter ?

sebastiandybing
03-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Hi

I need to sample rate convert a big sound efx libary from 44.1 to 48 khz.

I have tryed a free program called Swift, but its crashing doing the processing:mad: .
a guy showed me Soundforge 9, but we could not find a sample rate plugin in
its process list:confused: .

If you have experience with a sample rate batch converter, then tell me about it:) .

Thanks
Sebastian

Bill Park
03-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Back when I used to provide a lot of sound parts for a video editing suite, I used Sound Forge for this process. (We are talking about a LONG time ago...) Their requirements had anywhere from 60 to 300 seperate audio clips per project, and I had to convert them from wav to aiff. The batch converter in Sound Forge was great. I would record and edit in SAW Classic, master and finish in Sound Forge, export to CD in aiff and send the CDs off to the client.

Bill

Hi

I have tryed a free program called Swift, but its crashing doing the processing:mad: .

If you have experience with a sample rate batch converter, then tell me about it:) .

Thanks
Sebastian

PieterS
03-13-2008, 04:10 AM
http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

or

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brainpro/

Carl G.
03-13-2008, 05:20 AM
Hi

Thanks
Sebastian

I use Sound Forge 9's "Batch Converter"
BTW... That's about the ONLY reason I use it too!
I got a $49 upgrade offer to upgrade my older Batch Converter -
The price was right for all it does. Your mileage may very.
INside the Batch converter you can batch any DX or SF native plugin you have on your computer. Plus it does all the bells and whistles of conversions and sample stuff.

sebastiandybing
03-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Thanks all, because of you, I took another look at soundforge and did actually find a plug called resample:) .

I may buy the voxengo for my own machine.

Sebastian

Dave Labrecque
03-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks all, because of you, I took another look at soundforge and did actually find a plug called resample:) .

I may buy the voxengo for my own machine.

Sebastian

I've always had success with SF for this. SF 9 should work fine for you.

Another option is dbPowerAmp, where you can just select all the files you want in Windows Explorer, and convert through the context (right-click) menu. Can't speak for the SRC quality, though.

TotalSonic
03-13-2008, 07:57 AM
fwiw - if you're interested in getting the highest quality results Voxengo's r8brain Pro actually tests out as a more accurate sample rate converter than the src algorithms' in Sound Forge 9 - you can see comparisons at http://src.infinitewave.ca

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Dave Labrecque
03-13-2008, 08:00 AM
fwiw - if you're interested in getting the highest quality results Voxengo's r8brain Pro actually tests out as a more accurate sample rate converter than the src algorithms' in Sound Forge 9 - you can see comparisons at http://src.infinitwave.ca

Best regards,
Steve Berson

The link's not working, Steve. :confused:

Sean McCoy
03-13-2008, 08:08 AM
If you're dealing with lots of SFX you might also want to consider Basehead and/or Injector Pro. Basehead is an extremely useful database for searching, auditioning and transferring fx from your library, and Injector Pro can rip CD's with their metadata into the database, while doing SRC at the same time if you need it.

http://www.baseheadinc.com/

TotalSonic
03-13-2008, 08:11 AM
The link's not working, Steve. :confused:

Oops - forgot an "e" in there -
it's http://src.infinitewave.ca

Best regards,
Steve Berson

sebastiandybing
03-13-2008, 08:26 AM
The Studer vista8 we use, run at a fix 48 or 96 khz sample rate, normally
its not a problem because it has sample rate converter on all aes inputs.
But because I am beginning to change things to madi, then suddenly it is a problem.
I just need to sample converte the efx libary to 48 khz, then all is fine:) .

Sebastian

Dave Labrecque
03-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Oops - forgot an "e" in there -
it's http://src.infinitewave.ca

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Cool site, thanks. Even r8brain Free looks dang good compared with most others! I'm a-gonna pick that one up!

TotalSonic
03-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Cool site, thanks. Even r8brain Free looks dang good compared with most others! I'm a-gonna pick that one up!

Yeah - it definitely is a great site to use as a reference. I actually have run their test files through SAWStudio's src - I keep meaning to email the results back to them so that they can chart it and post it up but I've kind of keep forgetting to take care of this. Maybe this is a good reminder!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Dave Labrecque
03-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Yeah - it definitely is a great site to use as a reference. I actually have run their test files through SAWStudio's src - I keep meaning to email the results back to them so that they can chart it and post it up but I've kind of keep forgetting to take care of this. Maybe this is a good reminder!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Yes! I had that thought when I saw all those apps -- but no SAW! I'd be curious to see how SAW does against the others.

Hey, I think I understand that the sweep goes up past 20 K in about five seconds, but what happens after that? Looks like some apps show some info past the five-second mark, and I'm not sure how to interpret that. Does the sweep keep going up after five seconds?

sebastiandybing
03-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi Steve

Interresting site,
When I look at the different tests, I can see that even the worst cases
has about or more headroom than 100 db, and also the phase looks perfect
to my eyes.

I can see the soundforge is one of the less good for this job:(, I hope its
good enough for the audience.

Sebastian

TotalSonic
03-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes! I had that thought when I saw all those apps -- but no SAW! I'd be curious to see how SAW does against the others.

Hey, I think I understand that the sweep goes up past 20 K in about five seconds, but what happens after that? Looks like some apps show some info past the five-second mark, and I'm not sure how to interpret that. Does the sweep keep going up after five seconds?

The sweep actually goes to 48kHz (it's from a 24bit 96kHz file) and src'd to 44.1kHz (so then it would go to 22.5kHz).

You can see good info as to interpreting the charts at http://src.infinitewave.ca/help.html

Best regards,
Steve Berson

DominicPerry
03-13-2008, 10:12 AM
ProTools looks good, better than most except the R8brain stuff. What a surprise, not all digital is the same.
It would be interesting to see how SAW stacks up.

Dominic

Bob L
03-13-2008, 10:36 AM
SS High Quality SRC should be tough to beat from my spectral analysys tests when it was created.

Let me know what you find.

Bob L

Carl G.
03-13-2008, 11:04 AM
SS High Quality SRC should be tough to beat from my spectral analysys tests when it was created.

Let me know what you find.

Bob L

I might add to all that I only use SRC outside of SAW under batch conditions.
Otherwise all my SRC is done inside SS because of the clear graphs that Bob supplied were plenty proof to me - SS SRC is exceptionally clean.

AudioAstronomer
03-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Which graphs are you referring to? Are they on the website?

Mark

They were on the old website, I can't find them on the new one.

AudioAstronomer
03-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I remember seeing them as well, but cant' find them now.

Mark

You may be able to see it here

http://web.archive.org/web/20060522210818/http://www.sawstudio.com/SAWStudio/SRC.htm

If you can find a cache somewhere, it was at http://www.sawstudio.com/SAWStudio/SRC.htm

The wayback machine has many copies... but it's down right now :(

Craig Allen
03-13-2008, 12:55 PM
The wayback machine has many copies... but it's down right now :(
I keep trying to look up Emperor Club models and crashing it... :eek: :D

bcorkery
03-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I use Sound Forge 9's "Batch Converter"
BTW... That's about the ONLY reason I use it too!
I got a $49 upgrade offer to upgrade my older Batch Converter -
The price was right for all it does. Your mileage may very.
INside the Batch converter you can batch any DX or SF native plugin you have on your computer. Plus it does all the bells and whistles of conversions and sample stuff.They're asking me for twice that. I'd jump at $49 but with 8 I don't think I'm missing anything. Was it a special deal?

Bob L
03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
The graphs are in the SAWStudio Product brochure pdf... its on the top of the SAWStudio product page on the website.

Bob L

bcorkery
03-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Yep, $99 is what they want from me. Sounds like it's worth it. I wish I could get the Carl rate though! :)

TotalSonic
03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Your picture capture is a bit incomplete and doesn't show the color coding that is on the website, but it looks like the artifacts kick in at around -110db or so in your Sound Forge example.

Others in this thread have asked how SS compares.

I checked Robert's link to the old SS archive....and the graphs were not working in my browser...but the associated text claims the artifacts don't show up in SS until -110db, on a 48 to 44k conversion using the Hi Res, Hi Quality setting.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060522210818/http://www.sawstudio.com/SAWStudio/SRC.htm

or to rip the quote from the site " This is a 20-20K sine wave sweep converted from 48K to 44.1K using the high-res algorithm at the high quality setting. Notice the absolute lack of any artificats whatsoever as far down as -110 dB."

So SS is about the same as Sound Forge 9, or the other "lower quality" cases, no? Of course comparing graphs of different test procedures isn't fair, but -110 is easy to measure.

Seeming that these are different tests you are talking about -
I'm not willing to make an assumption regarding where SAW will fall in these comparisons until they actually are graphed on that site. To my ear SAW's src certainly works well - but I haven't spent enough time doing blind a/b's of src comparisons to make a definitive judgement as to what is "best" by any means yet.

And Sound Forge's src is certainly fine - I just wanted to point out for very minimal investment there are indeed batch converters that spec out better out there.

Not trying to start a flaming war here, but you are indeed the resident SRC guru.

I'm not an "SRC guru" by any means! But I have indeed taken a look at the src comparisons I've linked to before, and think I've got an ok handle on how to read the test graphs.

So - I should note that just looking at the sweep graph or the graph of the 1kHz tones does not give you a complete picture of the test results. i.e. r8brain Free's sweep on the graph actually looks cleaner than r8brain Pro's - yet the Free version shows 180 degree phase shift along with a transition filter that actually gets rid of quite a bit below 20kHz. Likewise the map of the transition of the filter for PT's src looks a tiny bit sloppy which would allow some aliasing to happen (which does show somewhat in the sweep graph as well).

fwiw - the best results of the tested algorithms seem to have come from Izotope's 64bit algorithm and Weiss Saracon. I'll try and get my test results to Alexey Lukin (the main maintainer of the linked site - and the coder of the Izotope src algorithm and things like the Megabitmax dither algorithm) when I have a chance (hopefully this weekend) and will post here if they post SAW's results.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Cary B. Cornett
03-13-2008, 06:39 PM
And I hope your life's journey never takes you to situations where blind listening tests of SRC are that important. :D

I've been using SF for batch conversions because it's on board here, and because I'm going from 48k down to some lower res multi-media sample rate like 22k or 11k...and it sounds good enough. For other projects I'll use a discontinued version of Wave Convert (only 16 bit), which has some very nice presets to sweeten the files that have been downsampled. I shutter to look at a graph of that.:eek: So instead of "shaking in fear" (shudder) , you "close up tight in preparation for a hurricane" or maybe "let light in for a picture"(shutter)? :D

Cary B. Cornett
03-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah, that's what I said. Using my SLR camera, I was going to take a picture of graphs during a hurricane.

What do you think I meant?:)

MaRK Good answer! :D :D

Then again from a favorite sci-fi quote:
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers." :p ;)

studio-c
03-17-2008, 12:25 PM
fwiw - if you're interested in getting the highest quality results Voxengo's r8brain Pro actually tests out as a more accurate sample rate converter than the src algorithms' in Sound Forge 9
Best regards,
Steve Berson

Holy crap! A picture's worth a thousand words. I was gonna chime in for the SF9 batch converter (I think the rest of the program's a dog and still use SF7 for editing). Gonna add the Voxengo to the tool belt. Thanks again Steve!

The batch processor is a must-have, and a great way to go earn while you go eat lunch :)

Cheers,
Scott