PDA

View Full Version : VST ini files inop?

DaveS
03-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi Bob!

I tried using the method in the help file where you can create an ini file in the VST-Plugins directory to point to a different location for a plugin. Unfortunately it didn't work.

Has this capability been turned on yet? I also tried the utility (sorry - I forgot who made it) that will automatically create the ini files - and that didn't work either.

If I copied the VST .dll file over it worked.

Dave
Recordable Media Services

Bob L
03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
That has been reported as broken already... I have also fixed it for this next update... possibly coming late today or tomorrow.

Bob L

DaveS
03-25-2008, 11:16 AM
You ARE the best!

Dave

arandal1
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I have tried over and over to get the sawvstini tool to create ini files for my vst synths. So I took another look at the manual, and it says to make sure each ini file ends with a character map. It does not tell you exactly what a character map is let along what one would look like. From my understanding when using the sawvstini tool....that everything is done already once you hit the create button. I also made sure that I had the Net framework installed as well. Either way here is what I have done so far....

1st I installed the SawVSTini tool. 2nd I opened the ini program and chose the directory of the vst/vsti's that I want to create ini files for. 3rd, I press the create button. Then just to make sure I open the folder where the ini file was sent to and verify that it is there, and it is, but when I open Sawstudio the pluigins do not show up. Maybe the ini tool does'nt create the character map with the file. Can anyone assist me? Thanks in advance!!!

Iain Westland
12-22-2008, 05:46 PM
think he means hit return at the end of the line so the cursor moves down onto an empty line

Bob L
12-22-2008, 05:51 PM
The helpfile says to finish the line with a carriage return.

You can do this very quickly manually right in the notepad as is described in the helpfile.

Bob L

arandal1
12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks, I guess sor some reason I was expecting something a little more complicated. Thanks to both of you for your assistance!!

arandal1
12-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Saw ini tool does not work on my computer....any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

Iain Westland
12-26-2008, 02:30 PM
which vsti's are you trying to use?

Bob L
12-26-2008, 02:44 PM
You don't need that to work... just create your own ini file in the notepad for each VST according to the details in the helpfile Plugins section.

Bob L

mako
12-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Saw ini tool does not work on my computer....any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!
Are you using Vista?

It works fine in XP.

cheers

mako

arandal1
12-26-2008, 04:14 PM
I am using Xp, and when I try it with the note pad...SS tells me that it is not a valid windows image. I am trying to only load Gladiator, Quantum Leap stuff, and Kontakt 2.2.4. Pretty much anything I feel I will need to compose music, but I want it to be available when I need it......of course without having to re-install everything to the SawStudio VST-plugins folder. Thanks in advance!!

arandal1
12-26-2008, 04:16 PM
By the way when I tried Saw ini tool, and open SS ....none of the VSTI's show up in the plugins list!

Bob L
12-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Not sure what might be going on for you... I know Kontakt works fine in this manner.

Pat attention to the path you entered in the notepad... make sure it is the whole path like C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\Kontakt.dll and make sure you have all the spaces, or dashes or underlines correct.

You must finiah with a carriage return to the next line... then save the notepad file as Kontakt.ini into the SS VST_Plugins folder... (not the VST_Presets folder).

Then start SS and the plugin should show in the list and load when you patch it in.

Bob L

arandal1
12-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Maybe the problem is that I am saving the file as Kontakt.dll rather than Kontakt.ini. I will give that a try, and thank you very much the assistance....cheers!

arandal1
12-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Awww!!!! It must be something with my system...I'm not sure. I was reading your manual and it says something about an ascii text ini file. What is ascii? I checked my windows notepad and cannot find that format. The formats I have are ANSI, unicode, UTF-8, and unicode big edian as the formats related to my notepad. Even in my notepad help guide there is nothing about ascii text. Do you think that could be the issue? Thanks in advance!!!

Bob L
12-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Stop overthinking it... the notepad generates ascii text by default... just do what it says in the helpfile... it should take you all of 30 secs to get Kontakt up and running... just open the notepad... type the path, hit the enter key... then save the file as Kontakt.ini in the SS VST_Plugins folder... :)

Bob L

arandal1
12-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Alright, alright...I'll take a 5 minute break and try again...LOL! To be continued. Oh Yeah, just in case.....don't go to bed to early...okay? LOL!!!:)

arandal1
01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi Bob,
It's me again with the ini issues. Guess what? It's still not working. I keep getting a pop up box that says TROUBLE LOADING PLUGIN. I use the notepad as you suggested and type not copy the plugin path with the .dll followed by a carraige return, and then saved the file/s as a .ini file. Maybe I should get the SS Videos to give me more of a visual step by step walk through. Any advice would be more than appreciated, and thanks in advance!!!

Bob L
01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Give me a call at 702-597-0476... my guess is that you are possibly missing a space or dash or underline character somewhere in the path...

Make sure you are including the actual dll name as the last entry in the path text.

From the helpfile:

For example, if a VST plug-in called TestPlug.dll is installed to D:\VST\Work, then create an .ini file called TestPlug.ini and inside the file type the line D:\VST\Work\TestPlug.dll followed by a carriage return. This .ini file, placed in the VST_PlugIns folder under SAC, will now link SAC to find the VST plug-in in its originally installed path. This can help solve compatibility issues with hardwired path plug-ins and their various copy protection schemes.

Bob L

arandal1
01-06-2009, 10:26 PM
I can imagine that it might be too late to call you now....so I will call you tommorow. Thank you very much!!!!!