PDA

View Full Version : HELP HELP !!!! COMPUTER DEAD !!!

mikebuzz
03-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Man just working on a new mix and I plugged in a Flash drive heard a pop ( I was going to transfer the new RME drivers over ) and the system LOCKED !!

Restarted it and no Tranzport was available , then it was acting SLOW ??

Restarted and I cant get past the Start screen ( BEFORE BIOS !! ) hit the del key and nothing , MAN I think I just had a MAJOR FAILURE !!!

It's an Asus P4C800-E Mobo , with Lian Lang Case & PS

Any ideas and where to start ?? , I'm going to check the PS first after I figure out the color code vs voltages

LAter
Buzz

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( :mad: :confused:

Bud Johnson
03-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow Buzz, that blows!
I'm sure those smarter than I will chime in, but it sounds like a dead mobo to me.
Sorry man.

mikebuzz
03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
The PS checks out OK , all voltages are good !!

I can not get into BIOS , is there a way to test if it is the MOBO or the processor ???????????

LAter
Buzz

Himhui
03-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Any long beep and short beep sounds while switching on?

MMP
03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
If you have any USB bus powered devices, try unplugging them.

I have two computers that won't boot with all the USB devices attached.

Regards,

MM

Bud Johnson
03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
If the mobo is getting power, afaik, you should be able to access the bios whether the CPU is good or not. The possibility exists that the mobo went bad and took the CPU with it. So plugging in an alternate CPU for tests may not be that smart.
There must be a safer way to test if it's the mobo.....
I would think bad ram could hang the system. Maybe pull the existing ram and try a stick known to be good?
I'd say if it's still hanging before the ram test, it's the mobo. I can usually muddle through and find the answer for things like this, but I always seem to be wrong on this BB, so maybe wait for someone else?

Like the posts above :>))

HapHazzard
03-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Man just working on a new mix and I plugged in a Flash drive heard a pop ( I was going to transfer the new RME drivers over ) and the system LOCKED !!

Restarted it and no Tranzport was available , then it was acting SLOW ??

Restarted and I cant get past the Start screen ( BEFORE BIOS !! ) hit the del key and nothing , MAN I think I just had a MAJOR FAILURE !!!

It's an Asus P4C800-E Mobo , with Lian Lang Case & PS

Any ideas and where to start ?? , I'm going to check the PS first after I figure out the color code vs voltages

LAter
Buzz
Man there are all kinds of directions this could go.

So after the last reboot it's lights out. Do you get the blue screen of death:eek:?
Or
Is it black:cool:?

The POP could be the power supply failing. Find a new one close to the same spec. In the mean time disconnect the HD and standby. Replace the Power Supply and put a bootable floppy in the A drive (if you have one) and see if the PC then boots to that (Dos 6).

If that works, Unplug the AC from the wall and reconnect the HD. Try again and cross your fingers.

At this time I'll be hoping you have your backup.
Good Luck
Hap

Bob L
03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
You may have locked up the USB port circuitry... this has worked for me in the past and you can read much about this on the web by searching...

Try powering down the system... unplug it from the wall... leave it off for a good 10 minutes to let the circuitry unlatch and the caps discharge....

Then you may find that it will boot up the next time... the key is... you must unplug from the wall... because some of the motherboard circuitry stays active with the plug in.

Bob L

mikebuzz
03-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks Guys , heres what I get
Powers, up fan spinning , Led ON MOBO , hit DEL key to get to bios
I get there to the first screen
It see's the CPU 3.2 ghz Intel etc. and the Bios Version 1.018

It says that the Ram is OK 2gb ( I tried swapping and removing ram but no change )

The info at the bottom goes away( American Megatrends and a LONG # ) and it hangs !!!

If I remember correctly it used to go into the RAID setup screen from there ????

How do I create a BOOT CD ??? and force it to see the CD drive ? this would help me flash new bios !!!

I have checked all connections and they appear to be fine !!

LAter
Buzz

AudioAstronomer
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Mike, PLEASE...

When you have a question, one question mark will suffice.
When something is important, one exclamation point will suffice.
When you make a statement, use a period.

Your posts can be very difficult to read, and when you're asking for help with a problem it is important that you be as clear as possible.

and for goodness sakes, dont abuse, commas like, I, do

AudioAstronomer
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Sounds like the motherboard is dead or dying btw :(

That's assuming you have unplugged and powered down completely, then checked all cables. You should also try to boot with minimal ram and all unneeded devices unhooked.

mikebuzz
03-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I've done that Robert....... :)

At least the Mobo's are cheap now $50 or so :p

It appears that the CPU is OK , Is there a way to tell without black box troubleshooting ? :eek:

Later
Buzz
:rolleyes:

I did a clear bios/ram on the board and it was NO help

AudioAstronomer
03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I've done that Robert....... :)

At least the Mobo's are cheap now $50 or so :p

It appears that the CPU is OK , Is there a way to tell without black box troubleshooting ? :eek:

Later
Buzz
:rolleyes:

I did a clear bios/ram on the board and it was NO help

You can't resist the odd punctuation can you? That was much easier to read though :D

I would go through the processes of testing everything first personally. If you get down to to absolutely bare and it's still not working then you know it's the motherboard or PSU. Since you say voltages look OK, then I suspect the motherboard.

Bob L
03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Buzz... did you try what I suggested... unplg for 10 mins... then reboot?

You may be surprised... apparently the USN circuitry can latch and stay latched until cleared in this manner... appearing like the circuit is blown.

This goes for all usb devices plugged in also... so you maight want unplug all usb devices before rebooting after the 10 min unplugged time.

Bob L

Craig Allen
03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Mike, PLEASE...
And please don't underline things on the web that aren't links... I tried clicking it for 5 minutes and didn't go anywhere!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...:D

AudioAstronomer
03-27-2008, 03:48 PM
And please don't underline things on the web that aren't links... I tried clicking it for 5 minutes and didn't go anywhere!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...:D

Don't hijack other peoples threads. It's rude.
;)

Craig Allen
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Don't hijack other peoples threads. It's rude.
;)
I apologized in advance... :o

mikebuzz
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Bob I tried that and pretty much everything posted to no avail .

I just reflashed the BIOS and that had no affect either ? , looks like the MOBO is dead ??

Any other ideas ?

If it reads the CPU speed and model I assume that it is OK ?

Later
Buzz

PS: I guess I'm on the hunt for a new Mobo

AudioAstronomer
03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
If you've unplugged as bob mentioned.. then yeah, new motherboard.

Craig Allen
03-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Do you have to use so many damn punctuation MARKS?????????????????
Only when I'm confused... next time I'll use these guys...:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And Mike, to get back on topic, you might want to double check the power supply. If you read the voltages while it didn't have a load, it might read fine, but crap out when it tries to fire up a drive or some other higher current device. If you have one you could sub, it might be worth a shot.

bcorkery
03-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I had a cheap USB card in a PCI slot go bad and threw the whole system into turmoil. It would lock up, take several times to fnally reboot. I'd have to unplug the power cable, as Bob suggested earlier to get it to boot sometimes. Not a fun experience. I finally pulled the card and that seemed to fix the system. So many variables, so little time!

mikebuzz
03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I will RIP it apart completely ( nothing to loose ) and check ALL connections

Thanks for the help guys !

Later
Buzz

PS: is there a major difference between the P4C800 and the P4P800 ?????? :D

Bob L
03-27-2008, 05:03 PM
The P4P800 is working fine also... it is very difficult to find these motherboards anywhere... so if you find one... go for it... although... you will not be able to keep your Windows install if you switch to the P4P... you must find a P4C to just use your existing Windows install.

Bob L

Pedro Itriago
03-27-2008, 05:47 PM
I apologized in advance... :o
I apologize in retrospect

mikebuzz
03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
GOOD POINT bob >>..!!

Later
Buzz