PDA

View Full Version : VSTi Midi input

DaveS
03-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Bob -

Are VSTi's setup to work nowin SAC? The reason I'm asking is that I can install them and even select the Midi input port - but I don't get a response from the VSTi. I am using a MOTU Midi Timepiece A/V - which I have used for years and with SawStudio...but I've seen some strange behavior with it lately. So, I'm not sure if it's the interface/driver or if SAC VSTi capability has not been enabled yet. The interface does seem to be working ok with KORE and SawStudio (MWS).

Rgds,

Dave
Recordable Media Services

Bob L
03-28-2008, 09:30 AM
The VSTi synth code is not yet working correctly... internal flags to pickup a VST synth as a legitimate input assignment is broken... but it will work if you do assign the channel to a legitimate input device also... I will fix it in the next update.

Bob L

DaveS
03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks Bob!

That's good to know - I can rest easier knowing that my interfaces are not at fault.

Dave

Bud Johnson
03-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I can rest easier knowing that my interfaces are not at fault.

I've been saying that for years!

ambler
03-28-2008, 04:02 PM
I can rest easier knowing that my interfaces are not at fault.

I've never heard them called that before.

Mark

DaveS
03-29-2008, 09:32 PM
What - Midi Interface?
:confused:

Oh... Never mind... :rolleyes:

Dave

DaveS
03-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Bob - just downloaded 1b - thanks for getting the VSTi's to work!

A question though - right now it appears that you can only assign one midi port to one SAC channel - is this something that can be changed?

For example - if I run Atmosphere in channel 1 and assign it to midi port 1 - works great - but it only needs one midi channel for Atmosphere. If I then decide to create a layered sound using Atmosphere on SAC channel 1 and Absynth on SAC channel 2 I can't assign midi port 1 to both... I have to assign another midi port (16 channels) to Absynth.

I really would like to be able to use all 16 channels in a port if possible...
Am I missing something in setup?

Dave

Bob L
03-30-2008, 12:07 AM
One port = 16 midi channels... so each vst synth can play 16 midi channels worth of sound if the synth is multi-timbral.... then you can patch another synth and use another port for another 16 channels... etc.

Isn't that enough? :)

At this point I saw no reason to have the same port available to multiple synths... but... perhaps that can be handled later.

Most midi port devices have an internal patch bay router that allows you to route channels across to other ports and channels.... so I am thinking you can double up in the midi driver app.

Bob L

DaveS
03-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi Bob!

Well, a lot of VSTi's are not multi-timbrel in the same way a hardware workstation is (for example, Roland XP80, Korg M1's and most of the newer hardware synths.)

Atmosphere for example cannot do multi. Neither can most of the Native Intruments synths with the exception of Kontakt and Bandstand. I n fact, most are not. The developers say if you want multi, start up another instance of the plug in.

So what happens is, if I want to run two instances of Atmosphere, one of FM7, one of Stylus RMX and maybe one of some other VSTi, I will have to use 5 ports. This ties up 80 midi channels to run 5 synths - which could be run only on 5 midi channels.

Most of the audio interfaces only have one or two ports to begin with - the MOTU MTP A/V has 8 - but the routing is between input and output ports - doesn't have any affect on routing into the PC. So being able to get the most use out of a port would be very beneficial.

On of the problems I am running into now is that I need to run two instances of Guitar Rig - but I only use a single midi controller pedal to control GR...so in this instance being able to route the midi controller pedal port to two channels is necessary.

If I'm not mistaken, Midi Workshop allows redirection of ports, doesn't it? If so, perhaps getting it to work in SAC would help eliminate the problem.?

Dave

Bob L
03-31-2008, 11:46 AM
I'll look into the idea.

Bob L

DaveS
03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
You ARE da man!

Thanks!

Dave