PDA

View Full Version : Gates

kruntz
03-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Bob,
the default position of the threshold slider for Gate and Comp is "0 dB".
From a road-live-warrior perspective, I'd suggest that Gate threshold should default to "-inf".
When you are mixing live, pushing the "On" button of the Comp gives you the chance to tweak the threshold starting with a channel that initially sound exactly as before.
With the Gate, instead, if you don't throw the gate to "-inf" in advance, when you push "On" you get a really nice hole in your mix... :-)

I hope you get my point, English is not my mother tongue and I don't know if I was clear enough...

Bob L
03-28-2008, 09:02 PM
You can change the current default positions of every control on the consoles... set them the way you like and save a default Mix Template... then when you clear the console and start any new session, it will default to how you set it.

Everyone thinks it should be a certain way... this is the best way I can imagine to satisfy more people... set it the way you like and save it as the default. :)

Bob L

kruntz
03-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Everyone thinks it should be a certain way... this is the best way I can imagine to satisfy more people... set it the way you like and save it as the default. :)
Bob L

Sorry, I sould have RTFM....
It's 5.30 AM here, you know.... :-)

Thanks a lot.

Naturally Digital
03-28-2008, 09:57 PM
... this is the best way I can imagine to satisfy more people... Bob, I'm curious... Why do you feel this way?

I thought Carlo made a good point, especially since new users will most likely start with the default.

Bob L
03-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Not sure what you mean... "feel this way".... my comment was referring to giving the option for each user to set his own defaults for all 25 mixers if he feels my defaults do not suit his needs.

I picked a set of defaults that I feel work good... but each user can change them and save them as the new defaults... do you not feel that is a "best solution"?

Bob L

Naturally Digital
03-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Not sure what you mean... "feel this way".... my comment was referring to giving the option for each user to set his own defaults for all 25 mixers if he feels my defaults do not suit his needs.Ah, yes. I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the default as it is now would satisfy more people. :o

I picked a set of defaults that I feel work good...This is what I was referring to. Why would you want the gate threshold at 0db by default? You either end up gating the channel as soon as you engage the gate or else you have to click on the threshold setting first, every time you enable a gate. Neither of these seem ideal to me.

Bob L
03-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Well, perhaps there is merit to the suggestion to reverse the setting as the default, but personally, I have always approached setting a gate threshold by first starting with the gate closed and then slowly opening it until I acheived the desired affect... this has always served me well in the studio... perhaps the opposite would be useful for Live... I'll place the idea on the list.

But, in the meantime, anyone can change the default behavior by creating a default mix template set the way they desire. :)

Bob L

Iain Westland
03-29-2008, 06:50 AM
the trouble with this place is the options, what ever we want to do theres a caveate in the program to allow it, oh except crash and burn, we arnt allowed to do that, that takes real rangling (except if your Dave;))