PDA

View Full Version : 31 band graphic for sac.. Peiter ?

Leadfoot
03-30-2008, 10:53 AM
any recommendations for this? for now just keep using my hardware, but part of the whole idea is eliminating the need for that right? i know about the anwida but don't really like it. so, what would be nice to see is a native version from peiter, cause i like his work, that is strictly for the sac native api:

31 bands
stereo
lowest possible cpu use
no latency
maybe variable hi-pass/lo-pass
anything else i may be forgeting

thanks for your time,
tony

AudioAstronomer
03-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Why don't you like the anwida? (considering it satisfies all your requirements)

That information would go a long way towards not having a repeat.

TotalSonic
03-30-2008, 11:28 AM
To clarify - a SAW native 31band graphic eq already exists as part of Anwida's Equo pack - http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=11

http://www.anwida.com/images/int_geq31v.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
03-30-2008, 12:35 PM
And there is certainly nothing wrong with it... my guess it easily matches your hardware in the live arena.

Or... do you really find yourself needing to adjust 31 bands of eq to obtain your desired results? Use my eq and if you need more than the 7 bands, patch another one in and continue adjusting... you can change the center freq on all 7 bands along the full bandwidth.

Bob L

Warren
03-30-2008, 12:42 PM
And there is certainly nothing wrong with it... my guess it easily matches your hardware in the live arena.

Or... do you really find yourself needing to adjust 31 bands of eq to obtain your desired results? Use my eq and if you need more than the 7 bands, patch another one in and continue adjusting... you can change the center freq on all 7 bands along the full bandwidth.

Bob L

Also if you are adjusting more the 5 to 7 something else is wrong
Crossover setting, amp gain etc.

Bud Johnson
03-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Bob L
Wow, never thought of that. For the time it takes to create 5 presets, load 5 instances into your main out channel post, save as default, you have a 31+ -1/3 oct. graphic, always there, for free!

Leadfoot
03-30-2008, 01:35 PM

wow, always interesting to hear what the masses have to say :)

one thing i don't like about it is it doesn't zero itself out per fader with a right click. everything else in sac is perfect and i want that to be too. obviously i'm being picky on that, but everyone else is about other stuff :) also not quite sure about the sound of it, but haven't used it enough in all fairness.

warren, i like to slide all 31 bands all the way up to get more gain out of my system.. (i'm either joking, or i'm a dj). of course you may be correct in that statement, although i've been in some tough rooms. never the less, i am simply used to looking at 31 bands and i like it that way, especially for monitors. imo, when it comes to mains and especially mons eq, quick and easy to find adjustability is key.

bob, is the sac api any different from saw? i thought you mentioned that it was, which kinda led me to believe plugs written stricly for sac would be even more efficient.

thanks for the replies guys, of course i can make it work with what's there, i just thought maybe there was some merit to a sonoris 31 band. maybe not.

thanks,
tony

Leadfoot
03-30-2008, 01:45 PM

That information would go a long way towards not having a repeat.

i missed this part in my reply..

astronomer, sonoris comps etc are all "repeats" as well so why does he make them available to us? my guess is because they're better. so i would guess his 31 band eq would be as well, that's all. if that's what you meant by "repeat".

thanks,
tony.

AudioAstronomer
03-30-2008, 02:15 PM
i missed this part in my reply..

astronomer, sonoris comps etc are all "repeats" as well so why does he make them available to us? my guess is because they're better. so i would guess his 31 band eq would be as well, that's all. if that's what you meant by "repeat".

thanks,
tony.

Better? They're different for sure. Better for some applications and worse for others.

Personally, my goto compressor is the cx1v, and has been for a while now. I own the sonoris compressors, and lots of $$ vst's that I don't even have installed anymore because the cx1v suits my needs for most of what I do. I can certainly see though where it could be deficient and the sonoris compressor to be superior for many styles of music and applications. Same goes for all their products.

As for quality... the anwida plugins are all quite excellent in this regard. The very minor benefit a more optimized and engineered sonoris version would give you would very well be completely nulled in a live scenario.

It just seemed strange to me that anwida makes exactly what you're looking for (except for the fader zero'ing), and you're asking for someone else to make another one. I thought maybe anwida had upset you in someway, or you were morally opposed to their products... or :confused:

Anyways, I'm mostly just curious :)

Craig Allen
03-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Or you could use the JMS Hi-Res EQ. It's only 10 bands, but fully parametric and has served me well live.

IraSeigel
03-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Also if you are adjusting more the 5 to 7 something else is wrong
Crossover setting, amp gain etc.

Agreed.
Ira

DominicPerry
03-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Anwida faders zero by ctrl-clicking. RTFM;)
They also do small adjustments using Shift-click/drag.

Dominic

mikebuzz
03-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Just for your info the native Saw graphic Eq only show 1 instance at a time ( you have to dbl clk on the next instance for it to show up )
It also does not tell you which instance it is BUT ?

Theres also THIS http://www.geocities.jp/webmaster_of_sss/vst/#lpgeq2

Later
Buzz

Leadfoot
03-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Anwida faders zero by ctrl-clicking. RTFM;)
They also do small adjustments using Shift-click/drag.

Dominic

i know that. figured it out in 2 seconds of using it, but that's not the point if you read my post. it's really no big deal, i'm sorry it came off that way. usually when i inquire about something, everyone scoffs at it, then 3 to 6 months later it happens when someone else realizes they want it anyway :)

tony

Leadfoot
03-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Agreed.
Ira

in case you didn't notice, i agree also. my point is, it's a heck of a lot easier to grab a slider and move it, than it is to go to the eq, click around trying to dial in the right frequency and width, then make your adjustment. but don't sweat it, i'll shut up and do it the way it is. no reply or nice sonoris eq needed. yes the anwida exists, i will gladly use it and sorry i asked for anything.

tony

Craig Allen
03-31-2008, 12:35 PM
in case you didn't notice, i agree also. my point is, it's a heck of a lot easier to grab a slider and move it, than it is to go to the eq, click around trying to dial in the right frequency and width, then make your adjustment. but don't sweat it, i'll shut up and do it the way it is. no reply or nice sonoris eq needed. yes the anwida exists, i will gladly use it and sorry i asked for anything.

tony
Tony,

Don't be sorry - we're trying to point out alternatives to help. One thing you might want to try is a EQ where you can drag the bands around in a display. I used to use the Waves REQ to do this, but I believe the Sonoris will too. So you can vary the parametric frequency around very quickly and easily until you dial in the right one.

Bud Johnson
03-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Just for your info the native Saw graphic Eq only show 1 instance at a time ( you have to dbl clk on the next instance for it to show up )
It also does not tell you which instance it is BUT ?
Later
Buzz
That is true, but as pointed out, I probably would only need a few frequencies. By saving presets as Low, Low mid, Mid, etc. I know which one to load. I can tell which I'm looking at by the frequencies represented.

mikebuzz
03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Take a look at the EQ link I posted I have tried it and it seemed to work fine IMO

Later
Buzz

http://www.geocities.jp/webmaster_of_sss/vst/#lpgeq2

Naturally Digital
03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Take a look at the EQ link I posted I have tried it and it seemed to work fine IMOMike, that is a linear phase EQ... Does it not introduce latency?

Also, the slimslowslider plugins have never been stable for me.

AudioAstronomer
03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Mike, that is a linear phase EQ... Does it not introduce latency?

Also, the slimslowslider plugins have never been stable for me.

Yes it does.

And ditto for me.

mikebuzz
03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
I never checked the latency on it ( hold ON OK , it shows 142 samples thats like what ?? 3ms @ 44.1khz ?? )

Ok show me the correct math , sample rate/1 sec. * # of samples ??? 1/44,100*142 = .00321 sec.

I'm sure there are others out there that perform better

PS: I've never had problems with SLowSlim ?

Later
Buzz

BTW: Waves Q8 shows 0 samples !!

OK how about this one !! http://karmafx.net/
reports 0 samples

It's got a cool function that allows you to zoom in on the Mids/Highs/Lows with higher resolution also !!

dbarrow
05-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Tony,

Don't be sorry - we're trying to point out alternatives to help. One thing you might want to try is a EQ where you can drag the bands around in a display. I used to use the Waves REQ to do this, but I believe the Sonoris will too. So you can vary the parametric frequency around very quickly and easily until you dial in the right one.

Yes, on most of those parametrics (Waves, etc.) you can pull a node down to get a dip, Alt-slide it left or right to adjust the Q, and Click-slide to change the center frequency. For me it is much more intuitive than a graphic. Instead of exactly guessing at a problem frequency, you can put in a dip and slide it back and forth to perfectly target a resonance or problem frequency. Obviously you could selectively boost the same way.

Bob L
05-11-2009, 09:10 AM
And the built-in eq does this also... pick a band... put a dip or boost and now grab the frequency slider and slide away...

Bob L