PDA

View Full Version : First Live Test Of SAC Today.

Bob L
03-30-2008, 08:41 PM
I gave SAC its first in the field use today at the church here that SAWStudio has been mixing live for the past 7-8 months.

Replaced SAWStudio with SAC and duplicated the setup of 9 monitor mixes back to stage. SAC did it comfortable on 7 Monitor mixers with the drum monitor mixer feeding 3 stereo master outs to the drummers small physical submixer... he still likes control of the intruments, vocals and drums separately... soon we will give him his own computer for remote mixing directly of his own SAC Monitor mixer.

The overall load seemed almost identical to the engine load of SAWStudio... so the trade-off of internal latency engine overhead in SAWStudio and the extra monitor mixer feeds in SAC seemed pretty even... I was happy about that.

Ran 3 x 64 and there were no latency complaints at all, even for the singers using in-ears.

Everything went very well, with comments about the overall FOH and monitor mixes sounding fuller and richer. This was probably due to my ability to solo and listen easily to each monitor mix in my V6 headphones while making adjustments and creating stereo space in each mix around the "more me in the center" concept for each of the musicians... placed them up in the center and spread the rest of the band around them to a degree, opening space for more clarity and fullness without clogging the mix.

I ran into one solo bus glitch that threw the solos out of sync in my headphones... that was fixed by a quick toggle of the engine during a silent spot at the end of the song.

There was also one reported incident of a slight latency slip during the whole 1 1/2 hour performance, which again was fixed with a toggle of the engine.

All in all things went great for a first run... I am focusing on the latency slips and will definitely find a way to lock that down.

SAC is here for real!!!!

Bob L

sstillwell
03-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Very cool, Bob!

What was the end-to-end latency at 3x64? I've been running at 1x32 but haven't taken it out in the real world yet...it's been really stable at that latency, but it's also running on a Q6600 quad.

Scott

Bob L
03-30-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm guessing 3 x 64 is about 4-5 ms... which is at the top edge of live realtime latency feel, in my opinion... others feel different... but in my real-world experience... I have gotten no issues from any of the musicians here in Vegas... and there are really some top notch players here in every type of music style... and they have all been blown away with the fact that we are running completely virtual.

Bob L

Mountain Media
03-31-2008, 02:51 AM
Sounds really great Bob!

Did you use SAC from your laptop, or does the church have a 'house' system onto which you installed SAC? In other words, a little about the hardware you were using, please, for comparisons. :)

Bob L
03-31-2008, 06:06 AM
I built the system a while back... a P4 3.0 ghz hyperthreading machine. 2 gigs of ram... 2 RME Hammerfall DSP cards and 2 digiface boxes for a total of 48 channels... currently using 32 channels of Behringers as inputs.

A good testing ground for sure... not a huge setup, but a fairly intense one with the 9 monitor feeds back to stage and FOH.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
03-31-2008, 08:18 AM
What was the nature of the latency slippage?

I also had a very good live test of SAC yesterday, in front of 400 people :D No problems at all at 16 channels.

Bob L
03-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Just slipped a buffer or two... no particular clues as to why... jumping all over the screen I guess... something slipped... still working on locking that down.

No big deal for the show, because as soon as I caught it... I just toggled the engine at the end of the song.

Bob L

Craig Allen
03-31-2008, 10:32 AM
When it slips a buffer or two, does the whole engine slip? And does that make everything out of sync? Or can it just affect the monitors and not FOH or the opposite?

Warren
03-31-2008, 10:52 AM
If since the SAC and SAW engines are very close to being the same could this slip you discovered be remotely in part to what I have experianced in the thread below.

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7278

I am just wondering since I can't seem to chase it down.

Just a thought.

Cause I is lost.

Bob L
03-31-2008, 11:45 AM
The entire engine will slip... everything else will stay in sync... but get later and later from realtime.

I doubt this is the drift you are seeing Warren.

Bob L

Warren
03-31-2008, 11:48 AM
The entire engine will slip... everything else will stay in sync... but get later and later from realtime.

I doubt this is the drift you are seeing Warren.

Bob L

Just trying to rule-out any remote possibilities.