PDA

View Full Version : Real Newbi Question

Carlos Mills
04-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Is it possible to use VST instruments directly from a controller, without using MIDI Workshop in SS?

Bob L
04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes... patch the VST synth in a Pre Patch... click on the blue pyramid options icon and select the first option to set the midi port. Pick one of your midi keyboard ports and that controller will now be directly hooked to the plugin... you can now play and record live in SS.

I would suggest arming a track other than the track the VST is patched into... in the record meter input zone select the mixer channel that the VST is patched on as the record source... you will now be recording whatever you play live.

Bob L

Jay Q
04-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I would suggest arming a track other than the track the VST is patched into... in the record meter input zone select the mixer channel that the VST is patched on as the record source... you will now be recording whatever you play live.

Bob L

Just gonna anticipate a possible question you might have, Carlos. Bob is referring to the fact that you have to disable the VSTi to hear what's recorded on the same track. Coincidentally, a couple of days ago I recorded a VSTi for the first time in many months and forgot for a few seconds as I was trying to figure out why I couldn't hear what I just recorded.

Jay

Carlos Mills
04-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks Jay and Bob for your help! ;)