PDA

View Full Version : Help AGAIN !!

mikebuzz
04-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Help again !! , well I got a new MOBO p4c800-e and after installing it I had NO VIDEO ?? , I changed out the prom from the old board and got video back.

Now the thing intermittenly powers up and then shuts down by itself ? , I checked the CPU temp and it is @ 90c !! I looked up the Pent. 4 spec and it should be < 69C , It looks like my CPU was taken out also ??? :confused:

Anyhow any tips/tricks you guys can provide would be VERY welcome :mad:

Later
Buzz

Bob L
04-02-2008, 08:20 PM
You may want to try clearing the internal cmos... find the jumper and set it to clr the cmos... power back on... then off... then change the jumper back... then try booting fresh and see if that helps.

Bob L

mikebuzz
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
I've done all of that many times ! , man this just keeps getting worse :confused:

From what I have read it appears that the CPU fried also :eek:

it will at times allow me into bios but after 45 sec. it DIES !

LAter
Buzz

Bob L
04-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Is your cpu fan mounted properly... if not... the cpu temp will rapidly climb.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
04-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Be sure to use a proper cooler pasta if the fan need it.

Sebastian

AudioAstronomer
04-03-2008, 03:28 AM
Improperly mounted heatsink
Heatsink stuffed with dusk
Broken heatsink fan (on heatsink that requires a fan)
Lack of thermanl paste
Old thermal paste
Wrong thermal paste
Wrong heatsink

That's what I would suspect.

Pedro Itriago
04-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Be sure to use a proper cooler pasta if the fan need it.

Sebastian

Be sure is not any of this varieties of pasta

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/NIM/ARM125~Pasta-Posters.jpg

mikebuzz
04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
AHHHHH PEDRO you kill me LMFAO :D
I actually needed that , I want to KILL something right now !

LAter
Buzz

Warren
04-03-2008, 09:40 AM
I've done all of that many times ! , man this just keeps getting worse :confused:

LAter
Buzz

Some BIOS allow for CPU voltage changes for overclocking could you have accidently messed with it? Once it reaches a certian temp the MB (on some MB's) will shut its self down for self protection.

Not all boards do this though.

Hope it helps Mike.

Thats Scarry :eek:

AudioAstronomer
04-03-2008, 09:42 AM

LAter
Buzz

If you're getting into BIOS, then the CPU is not friend.

Make sure the heatsink is properly applied, with thermal paste, and that you followed all directions.

Also make sure the heatsink is clear of obstructions in the fins, and that the fan is connect to the correct power plug. Connecting it to the case fan power source can cause issues with some configurations.

mikebuzz
04-03-2008, 09:51 AM
My heatsink mount broke yesterday so I replaced the heatsink with a used one from a local shop . they gave me a PAD for the thermal conductor ! well it STICK S to both they CPU AND the heatsink pulling the CPU out of the socket !!!!!

Man I just cant catch a break , I'm going to bring to the shop and have them remove the CPU from the heatsink and TEST IT !!!

Robert I can get into Bios once every 3-5 times , then it shuts down , the other times it just shuts down with no keyboard or display.

Thats the latest anyhow

Later
Buzz

PS: I have thermal goop at work so I will use that next time FOR SURE

AudioAstronomer
04-03-2008, 09:53 AM
My heatsink mount broke yesterday so I replaced the heatsink with a used one from a local shop . they gave me a PAD for the thermal conductor ! well it STICK S to both they CPU AND the heatsink pulling the CPU out of the socket !!!!!

Man I just cant catch a break , I'm going to bring to the shop and have them remove the CPU from the heatsink and TEST IT !!!

Robert I can get into Bios once every 3-5 times , then it shuts down , the other times it just shuts down with no keyboard or display.

Thats the latest anyhow

Later
Buzz

PS: I have thermal goop at work so I will use that next time FOR SURE

Never ever cheap out on the heatsink (sorry if I'm assuming wrongly).

If it fails, it can ruin your cpu, motherboard and occasionally (rarely) your ram as well.

And I would suggest buying a tube of good thermal paste. Even if you don't use it for a while...it always ends up being worth it.

mikebuzz
04-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Well Mark lets just say these guys are NOT rocket scientist LMAO !!
I should have never used the pad conductor ( hell I asked for thermal paste and they said they were OUT ??? how can you be out of thermal paste in a computer shop ?

anyhow thats where it stands , I'll just have to see how they respond :eek:

Later
Buzz

Cary B. Cornett
04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
A lot of computers with "thermal pads" instead of "grease" are running just fine. It is the same function being offered in a different form.

When I build a machine, I always buy a "retail box" processor, which comes with its own heatsink and fan. Because the manufacturer trusts that these will work properly together, the warranty on "retail box" can be 3 years, where the "OEM" warranty (without fan and heatsink included) is 1 year. Neither my current DAW nor its predecessor has ever had a heat-related problem.

Pedro Itriago
04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
But as Mike said, beware of bozos claiming to be computer experts.

Mark

I think this would've been a clue

http://www.jppatches.com/images/jp_gert_comp.jpg

I meant the fire extinguisher, not the computer experts.

Oh, Mike...and about your computer...

http://oldrecipebook.com/cakes/cake-computer.jpg

mikebuzz
04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Well heres the LOWDOWN
I replaced the PAD with proper heatsink goop and WALA 52deg C instead of 90 + ( DO NOT use things from CLOWNS !!!:mad: :p ;) )

I did get it up and almost running ( the Mobo I bought had a BAD Cmos chip !!?? ) so I used the one from the fried Mobo , it ALMOST worked , or at least I thought it did .

I was getting overclocking errors ?? I dont have it set up to overclock ? , So I tried flashing the Cmos , it killed the chip !!
Now I am getting a new Cmos chip from ASUS

After talking to ASUS support they said that Bad RAM will cause an overclocking error ? never knew that so ???

Anyhow onward and SIDEWAYS :eek:

Later
Buzz

Pedro Itriago
04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Other than the CPU, CMOS and RAM, how's it working out for ya?

If you can't get it running after twenty or thirty more hours, you might want to call a guy that warranties his work.:)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I recently spent two days trying to flash the BIOS, when it was a loose connector causing the problem.:o

mark

You needed a flash, alright. A flash...light. And a new pair of glasses with that.

mikebuzz
04-03-2008, 07:33 PM
You guys are actually making it slightly easier to deal with this fiasco ! , Man I've had computer problems before but this one takes the cake AND Eats Padro

Got any pix of cakes ????

Later
Buzz

Craig Allen
04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
You needed a flash, alright.
http://happycarpenter.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/trenchcoat.jpg

It's not quite a cake...

Pedro Itriago
04-03-2008, 07:57 PM
http://happycarpenter.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/trenchcoat.jpg

It's not quite a cake...

This is what is known as a Medusa flasher. Anyone seeing the flasher directly, turns into stone. That's why the picture ws taken from behind.

mikebuzz
04-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Is that at the PROM ????

Later
Buzz

Mountain Media
04-04-2008, 01:39 AM
Is that at the PROM ????

Later
Buzz

No - since this is all unfolding online it's happening at the 'E'-PROM! Good luck with getting system back up, Buzz.

ffarrell
04-04-2008, 06:27 AM
I agree with Mark at some point it's better to let a pro get you up :eek: and going when play with the options after the fact.

I'm tring to get the 10th Hard Drive to go in my Media Center server. ( 2 TB total space)

I keep losing the boot drive in bios.

Not fun. yet!

fvf

mikebuzz
04-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately where I live I am the pro ?????????? , well maybe not but there is a severe lack of PRO'S around here , one of my employees is very good with computers and he's at a loss also so ???

Later
Buzz