PDA

View Full Version : Extract Session weirdness

Harold Thompson
10-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Used the new extract session function this weekend and it was a lifesaver. The only problem that I encountered is that when reduing an extract operation the new wav files generated are appended to the previous files, so that the resulting file is twice as large as it needs to be. Maybe an extra dialog box to choose whether to append or overwrite would help to catch this. It isn't a real big problem if I continue on and do the mixing in SAW Studio, but in this case I was building wav files with the same start point for transfer to a Pro Tools mixer, and thought the it may be a confusing situation for him.

Harold Thompson

UpTilDawn
10-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Harold, I'm confused.
I've been making good use of this new extract feature and I just don't experience what you are saying......

The only problem that I encountered is that when reduing an extract operation the new wav files generated are appended to the previous files, so that the resulting file is twice as large as it needs to be.

Could you explain what you mean? What previous files are being appended to?
Maybe you're using this in a way that I'm not familiar with. All of my extracts are smaller by an amount equal to the size of the portion of the session I am extracting. Even when I account for region handles, the numbers seem to add up correctly.

DanT

Bob L
10-19-2004, 09:39 PM
If you are doing an extract over again, simply delete all files in the folder first if you know you want to make new ones... I did not attempt to delete them because there are many possible pitfalls and it can get tricky if labels change which change names and so forth... I figured its best to leave you in control.

Bob L

Harold Thompson
10-20-2004, 06:19 AM
[QUOTE=Bob L]If you are doing an extract over again, simply delete all files in the folder first if you know you want to make new ones...

That's just what I did. It just took me an extra half hour to redu because the files for each track were very large (500 Meg x 32). I now know how it functions and won't get caught again.
:)