PDA

View Full Version : MWS stepped conductor track?

AudioAstronomer
04-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Is it currently possible to have the conductor track put each specific beat of the meaure as a certain note?

I understand that I can adjust it to have a specific downbeat, or 'pattern' and save the setting as default. Would it be possible though to save conductor settings as files?

What I want to do is have beat 1 be c1, beat 2 be c#1, beat 3 be D1, beat 4 be D#1... but only for certain projects. I don't always want it to default that way.

Is something like this possible, or will be possible?

Bob L
04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
You could create a click track in that manner by setting up one measure and then copy and paste down the timeline. Save that as a midi file... then you can always merge that midi file into another project when needed... or start the new project with that midi track as a template.

Once loaded, it will chase whatever tempo changes you setup in the new project.

Of course your template will need to be different for different time sigs... so you can create a few different ones.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
04-10-2008, 07:58 AM
How would it handle time signature changes?

Say if I have C1-F1 for a time sig of 6/8 then I change the time sig at measure 40 to 4/4, would truncate each measure, or would it overlap, or would it leave the notes and simply put them 'in time'?

Why I'm asking is because we had a really good idea while tracking to have a 'counting' metronome for more complicated parts (rather difficult time signature changes). So MWS would trigger a sampler (we use shortcircuit) of samples that are a human voice saying 'ONE! two three four ONE! two three four, ONE! two THREE! four five ONE two THREE! four five' etc... We also tried with subdivisions and that worked out well. Was using another program while working out this idea and it was impossible to map the time signature changes properly.

Perhaps there's another way to have this 'human count' as a click track that follows time signature/tempo changes gracefully?

Bob L
04-10-2008, 08:34 AM
When the time sig change happens the notes would just keep rolling over to the next beat... you would have to create the time sig sections with the proper number of notes involved... and a cut and paste operation would be involved... easy enough to do if it is that important to you...

Not sure if it's all worth it or not... I have found that even the downbeat different note is not appreciated by many musiciians and they always ask me to make all the clicks the same sound.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
04-10-2008, 09:10 AM
When the time sig change happens the notes would just keep rolling over to the next beat... you would have to create the time sig sections with the proper number of notes involved... and a cut and paste operation would be involved... easy enough to do if it is that important to you...

Cut and paste it is. Is it possible to 'insert midi file at position'? So I could pre-make a bunch of files are different time signatures to have ready for c&p?

Not sure if it's all worth it or not... I have found that even the downbeat different note is not appreciated by many musiciians and they always ask me to make all the clicks the same sound.

Bob L

It's worth it for sure. :D

It's not so much about the downbeat, as being able to easily reference which beat is being played without any doubt. Just on difficult time signatures alone like 13/16, it can be a lifesaver if the music needs to be recorded to a click :) Rare of course but.. that's what I'm dealing with right now.

Bob L
04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
No... but you can blend to a new track and then move it to position.

Bob L