PDA

View Full Version : SAC Fun

Bruce Callaway
04-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I tried doing some tests with my Layla24s just to see what performance I got. So I put a CD on in the sound room playing a disk with some microphones to capture some audio and went back to the control and started experimenting. Everything was going well with about 6 tracks setup with a few plugins including the Sonoris LP Equalizer to boot. So I test the buffer settings, I got the layla24 to be stable at 3 x 128 using ASIO. Not bad I thought for a simple light load test.

Then all of a sudden, I get this loop effect like the buffers are replaying the same piece of data. I try everything to find out why but nothing changes this situation. So I figure I will come back later and try again so I turn everything off and then head to the sound room to turn the CD off and find out that it is the CD player is causing the problem by stuttering when playing back a song :o SAC and the Layla24 were fine....

Bob L
04-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Good story... but realize the linear phase eq is a no no... it adds latency and your resulting buffer latency is much much larger than 3 x 128.

Bob L

Bruce Callaway
04-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Good story... but realize the linear phase eq is a no no... it adds latency and your resulting buffer latency is much much larger than 3 x 128.

Bob LI though as much Bob and would not do it normally, I wanted to try and load the CPU as much as I could....

DominicPerry
04-25-2008, 04:11 AM
Bruce, the standard Sonoris EQ does not add buffers, you could try that if you really want to stress things, but I don't think it's very realistic as a challenge, it's a 'mixing EQ' - I think it's fairer to choose lower CPU utilising alternatives for Live work.

Dominic

Bob L
04-25-2008, 06:30 AM
I suggest the built-in eqs for the best performance (and good clean sound also) or use my eq plugin on output channels.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
04-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Bruce, the standard Sonoris EQ does not add buffers, you could try that if you really want to stress things, but I don't think it's very realistic as a challenge, it's a 'mixing EQ' - I think it's fairer to choose lower CPU utilising alternatives for Live work.

Dominic

Oversampling mode for the sonoris EQ adds latency does it not?

DominicPerry
04-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Oversampling mode for the sonoris EQ adds latency does it not?

Yes, you're right, the HQ mode upsamples but the standard mode doesn't. Are you likely to hear the difference though?;)

Dominic

AudioAstronomer
04-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes, you're right, the HQ mode upsamples but the standard mode doesn't. Are you likely to hear the difference though?;)

Dominic

If it adds latency and you're using SAC, then you certainly are likely to hear a difference! ;)

Craig Allen
04-25-2008, 10:47 AM
If it adds latency and you're using SAC, then you certainly are likely to hear a difference! ;)
And an echo...

Iain Westland
04-25-2008, 11:00 AM
think SAC bypasses all latency causing plugs? for live use the built in ones are very good, as are the dynamics, its where the invisibility of the parts really comes into its own

Bob L
04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
SAC attempts to bypass latency causing plugs... but that is dependent on how the plug operates... if it witholds samples asking for more before returning any... then SAC can detect and bypass it... but if it returns blank buffers of the original size until it finally completes its calculations and then starts filling buffers with real data... that data will be late and out of sync with other channels... if the plug is on the output master, then evrything will be delayed and your performer latency will be much larger than expected as far as the buffer sttings go... so 2 x 64 settings could actually be 4 x 1024 or something which is why some people may say... I can hear that latency even set at 2 x 64.

Bob L