PDA

View Full Version : SAC demo release ?

mikebuzz
04-26-2008, 09:13 AM
When will SAC have a demo available ?? :)
Thanks
Buzz

Bob L
04-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Probably at the time of the final release when evrything in the main design is settled into place.

Bob L

mikebuzz
04-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks Bob , I've been keeping up on reading this board and I'm curious !!!!
I would like to run SAC

LAter
Buzz

bassthumper
04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey Buzz Forget the demo and just bail off into it and buy it now. I don't think you will regret it................

Naturally Digital
04-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks Bob , I've been keeping up on reading this board and I'm curious !!!!
I would like to run SAC Mike, if you buy it now you will save $200 compared with the Final Release price. ($300 vs. $500).

Iain Westland
04-26-2008, 10:04 AM
you wont be dissapointed!! i've only got it for the studio, but can see me doing live recordings!!! get yer wallet, it needs to loose weight

mikebuzz
04-26-2008, 04:55 PM
NO it does'nt !!! , well maybe I can loose an 1176ln ???
I would like to see it in action tho !!??!??!?!?!?!:D

Warren
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
NO it does'nt !!! , well maybe I can loose an 1176ln ???
I would like to see it in action tho !!??!??!?!?!?!:D

You could do a lot better than the $300 SAC costs with the sale of a 1176ln as a matter of fact if Bob is ever convinced to make a LoudSpeaker Management System (LMS) module for SAC you could probably get that as well, WITH change to spare. :D

Just trying to put a bug is a few ears. :p

Oh and Mike, if you get SAC, you won't ever regret it, it will be the best $300 you ever spent FOR SURE!

Carl G.
05-30-2008, 06:48 AM
You could do a lot better than the $300 SAC costs with the sale of a 1176ln as a matter of fact if Bob is ever convinced to make a LoudSpeaker Management System (LMS) module for SAC you could probably get that as well, WITH change to spare. :D

Just trying to put a bug is a few ears. :p

Oh and Mike, if you get SAC, you won't ever regret it, it will be the best $300 you ever spent FOR SURE!

sooo.... for the Studio PRODUCTION USE ONLY....
....sell me on SAC over "Live" SawStudio.

I'm happy, just now reading over the excitement about SAC!
.. but don't yet "see" it's application over SAWSTUDIO "LIVE" for non-'recording' purposes in a "production only" studio.

Bud Johnson
05-30-2008, 08:19 AM
sooo.... for the Studio PRODUCTION USE ONLY....
....sell me on SAC over "Live" SawStudio.

.. but don't yet "see" it's application over SAWSTUDIO "LIVE" for non-'recording' purposes in a "production only" studio.
Below are my reasons, some may apply to you.

From ebay>estimated
Mackie D8b w/UFX-DIO-Clock card-$3000+
AI-1=$100
Zsys Digital Patchbay-$800
Aardvark Aardsync-$250
Digipatch-$100

SAC= Priceless.
because
Routing and processing capabilities that exceed any one board, (that I would choose to afford anyway)
9 SQ feet of control room counter space,
1 less LCD monitor heating and cluttering room,
moving cpu rack from hall and putting where Mackie CPU was,
Having BU computer ready to go should main one fail,
(try that with mixing boards)
Being forced to upgrade ADDA and Pre s, (free after Ebay + $ in my pocket)
Opening up a revenue stream I was way to lazy to pursue when it meant hauling all that gear around, IE:Live work, which will yield studio work for post live recording. (All those tracks gotta be mixed right!).
Going from 4 racks to 2.
A whole new feel to the studio, much more sleek.
That sold me anyway.
You may have reasons, maybe not.

Angie
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Just my 2 cents here Buzz.

Years ago, when I was still using SAW32!. Bob did a pre-release on SAWPro. SAW32 was getting me where I needed to go, so I waited for others to put Pro through its paces. I ended up kicking myself over and over when the demo came out and I was finally able to play with it myself. By then the pre-release pricing had passed. So, I paid full price for my new "must have". It was an expensive lesson learned. Since then I have *never* passed on pre-release pricing on Bob's programs. And I have never regretted it.

I have not had a chance to work with SAC yet. But I do see the potential in studio. And I'm looking forward to making it the center piece.

Carl, just do it!

Carl G.
05-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Just my 2 cents here Buzz.

Years ago, when I was still using SAW32!. Bob did a pre-release on SAWPro. SAW32 was getting me where I needed to go, so I waited for others to put Pro through its paces. I ended up kicking myself over and over when the demo came out and I was finally able to play with it myself. By then the pre-release pricing had passed. So, I paid full price for my new "must have". It was an expensive lesson learned. Since then I have *never* passed on pre-release pricing on Bob's programs. And I have never regretted it.

I have not had a chance to work with SAC yet. But I do see the potential in studio. And I'm looking forward to making it the center piece.

Carl, just do it!
hmmm.... me too.... I jumped in at about same time but did all the pre buys that I know of. Never regretted it. I just have a couple 'blocks':
1. That INPUT (NO millisecond) feed in headphones.
2. Frustrating cost of re'building' the room - furniture, quality AD/DA, Sound Cards (I use LynxL22 for ADDA now), Mic Pres, etc.
.... but.... for the cost of a couple plugs I can have 26 consoles...hmmm.

Carl G.
05-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Below are my reasons, some may apply to you.

From ebay>estimated
Mackie D8b w/UFX-DIO-Clock card-$3000+
AI-1=$100
Zsys Digital Patchbay-$800
Aardvark Aardsync-$250
Digipatch-$100

SAC= Priceless.
because
Routing and processing capabilities that exceed any one board, (that I would choose to afford anyway)
9 SQ feet of control room counter space,
1 less LCD monitor heating and cluttering room,
moving cpu rack from hall and putting where Mackie CPU was,
Having BU computer ready to go should main one fail,
(try that with mixing boards)
Being forced to upgrade ADDA and Pre s, (free after Ebay + $ in my pocket)
Opening up a revenue stream I was way to lazy to pursue when it meant hauling all that gear around, IE:Live work, which will yield studio work for post live recording. (All those tracks gotta be mixed right!).
Going from 4 racks to 2.
A whole new feel to the studio, much more sleek.
That sold me anyway.
You may have reasons, maybe not.
Bud,
Impressive reasons.
Your site shows some pretty nice rooms - That DB8 is going?
Do you envision hardware fader control for SAC?

If I went the SAC route, I've been thinking of the B2000 control surface, but a U-tube clip of its operations indicates some pretty noisey fader operation (bad for VO in same room doing SRC recording).

Bud Johnson
05-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Bud,
Impressive reasons.
Your site shows some pretty nice rooms - That DB8 is going?
Do you envision hardware fader control for SAC?

If I went the SAC route, I've been thinking of the B2000 control surface, but a U-tube clip of its operations indicates some pretty noisey fader operation (bad for VO in same room doing SRC recording).
D8b and all else mentioned, plus a ton of outboard FX and such all going. The D8b has been underused as a glorified headphone mixer and adda for years. The outboard stuff I've kept cuz it filled racks, and as a security blanket I don't feel I need now. Haven't used them in years either.
Re faders
I feel I can work as fast with a mouse and keys as a fader or at least close and I'm comfortable. Maybe for small venue live where almost all action would be on the same faders. I'm just not sure I'd want to add another layer of potential problems to such a minimalist setup. Besides, I'm not sure I'd know how to use a real fader anymore.

YMMV

mako
05-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey Buzz and Carl - I go with what Angie said - you will honestly kick yourselves if you wait until the demo is out.

Even though I got in early, I still had reservations about using it live for my solo work as Ilike to be able to turn a knob with one hand fast if I need volume adjustment.

Well, my last outing proved 2 things - SAC is a dream come true, and I need a BCF2000 for the above reason.

I carted the hardware in a 4 unit rack case plus laptops (FOH and stage) with the only wiring being a snake and CAT6 from FOH to stage.

BTW - rack case internals were enough to do 24 I/O if needed.

I could go on with the precision eq, comps, gates etc. on each channel but you know all that.

Best wishes

mako

Bob L
05-30-2008, 01:17 PM
With any moving faders Carl, you will have to deal with the clang and bang of the faders as they chase around... that seems to be a given... do you need the faders... you know my feelings on that subject... but... the BCF2000 is the perfect match for SAC... inexpensive and working perfectly... the faders feel fine... but they do make physical motor noise as they are chasing... but so will any controller I have ever worked with.

Now... if you do not use the navigation hardware chase feature and keep the controller just pointing at your one voice over mic.... there will be no problem... it will have no need to jump all around and you can still have the use of the physical fader.

Or...get comfortable using the mouse. :)

Bob L

DominicPerry
05-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Carl,

You will always need an analogue feed for 0 latency or use TotalMix for virtually zero latency. Two channels of top-dollar pre with dual outputs could serve you well if you opt for the former.It will be years before CPU speeds mean that A-D > processing > D-A is as fast
Having said that, SAC on even a mid spec modern machine with a decent interface and drivers stands a good chance of running at 1x32 which is really seriously low latency.

Once the 'hooks' are in, the convenience of having SAC as a front end for SAW in the studio will be huge - the ability to avoid using Aux's for headphone mixes and instead having a bunch of presets in SAC for every possible monitoring situation you've come across, leaving SAW to do the recording, well, it works for me.

Dominic

mycorn
05-31-2008, 05:48 AM
With any moving faders Carl, you will have to deal with the clang and bang of the faders as they chase around... .

most digi console surfaces [certainly all the real ones]
have moving faders now

at 85db+ ambient mix levels
and/or in-ear monitoring
that noise is of no consiquence...

FWIW
mh

Bob L
05-31-2008, 06:17 AM
I believe Carl is concerned about having this noise in his control room right beside his voice-over mic while recording.

Bob L

Mountain Media
06-01-2008, 03:43 AM

Carl - back to an original question - to me one of the 'biggies', vs "LIVE" in SS, is the exceptionally low latency with multiple monitor mixes that separates SAC - and still having the capability to record in SS via internal connections.

Carl G.
06-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I believe Carl is concerned about having this noise in his control room right beside his voice-over mic while recording.

Bob L

Alright! I'm In!

mOjO Fet
09-23-2008, 02:40 AM
Bob! Any news about the SAC demo?

Michael

Bob L
09-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Yup... its coming any day now.

Bob L

Bob L
09-23-2008, 07:38 PM
The day has arrived... the SAC demo is now available for download on the SAC site at www.SoftwareAudioConsole.com (http://www.SoftwareAudioConsole.com)

Enjoy,

Bob L

mikebuzz
09-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Cool thank Bob , I will be checking it out !!!

LAter
Buzz

mOjO Fet
09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Does the LINK option work with the Sawstudio demo?

I can't get to LINK both the SAW and SAC demo. (I click the LINK button but it's greyed out?).

Michael

EDIT: Nevermind. I just found it.

Bob L
09-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes... read the helpfile... the SACLink option is initiated from the SAW side.

Bob L

mOjO Fet
09-26-2008, 07:54 AM
I just want to say, SAC sounds absolutely incredible!!!

Even though the engines are supposed to be identical in SAW and SAC, to me SAW linked through SAC sounds even better!

This is by far the best mixer one can get inside the box today.

Thanks again Mr. Lentini for such a fine (sounding) product.

Michael